Skip to content

(More) trouble at Bolton

Comments

• To be fair, the 5pm deadline was for information to be received, if this was that the transfer has been completed, it will be sometime before they will confirm the match will take place or be deferred. They have to read the evidence and then decide if it is in order before they take the next step.

• Oh come on, you don't expect them to say anything tonight ?
    It's gone 5.00pm, they will drinking G&Ts now

• I'm leaving for the ground in 20 mins. Would be good to know if the game was on before leaving the house.

• Something still doesn't seem right about what is going on at Bolton. The uncertainty yesterday resulted from an EFL request for proof of funding from the potential new owners, which I believe should have included proof of sufficient funds a) to complete the purchase, b) to pay all football creditors in full and c) to remain solvent and complete all fixtures for the next two seasons. There may have been something about ability to pay other creditors also, but the EFL don't always care about what happens to them.

The EFL have announced they are satisfied, but I understand that this is apparently only after the potential owners secured a last minute £2million loan from the PFA to pay player wages. Even then only the current playing staff will be paid in full immediately, with ex-players having to wait and receive what they are owed in monthly payments over two years. If they need to loan £2million already and even that isn't enough to allow them to pay up wages, then isn't that an indication that they don't have the necessary funds in place? If the prospective owners don't have the money, why has the EFL allowed this to pass?

There is still a possibility that the prospective owners won't actually complete the purchase of Bolton Wanderers Football Club, since they appear to want to complete the purchase of the club only if they can have the stadium hotel too. They are not the highest bidders for the hotel and it might get sold to another buyer. Nobody knows if they will actually walk away from the club purchase if they don't get the hotel, but not having the hotel would blow a hole in their business plan (raising the ability to fund question again) and if they walk the club will stay in administration and the sale process will have to start all over again.

• What a superb analysis @Uncle_T. Thanks for that. Very intriguing.

• @Uncle_T ...but as long as the game goes ahead on Saturday.... :smile:

• edited July 2019

Tbh who cares at the end of the day Ken Anderson has left the club in the shit, he is the person who has caused all this nobody else. I cant feel sorry for him or the club as they allowed the arsehole in the door !!

• edited July 2019

@rmjlondon said:
    Tbh who cares at the end of the day Ken Anderson has left the club in the shit, he is the person who has caused all this nobody else. I cant feel sorry for him or the club as they allowed the arsehole in the door !!

...largely because fan favourite Dean Holdsworth was the original (unwitting?) front man wasn't he?

• Holdsworth desperately wanted to save Bolton Wanderers from going under back in 2016 but couldn't get the finance together, until Ken Anderson made him an eleventh hour offer. He accepted the offer because it must have seemed to him that it was a choice between that or seeing the club go out of business; a rock or a hard place; analogous, perhaps, to Wycombe's Hayes or bust scenario.

Unfortunately for him, as with us, it proved to be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire.

• Bolton now have 17 first team players according to Bolton Wanderers Wikipedia Page.

• Yet Bolton have drifted to 11/1 to win Saturday's game

• The Wikipedia list is not up to date. Bolton Wanderers' official website shows they have seven signed professionals, which I think is closer to the truth: https://www.bwfc.co.uk/teams/first-team/

• THEY knew

• @thedieharder said:
    Bolton now have 17 first team players according to Bolton Wanderers Wikipedia Page.

Three of those additional ten are listed in their (four man) U-23 squad on the club website - don't know what has become of the fourth. Thus, seven brand new names:

Marcus Wood - 21yrs, signed from Man City in 2018. Three month loan at Southport last season.
    James Aspinall - young goalkeeper
    Stephen Duke-McKenna - 19yrs, played for Ghana in 2018, same year as signed from Everton
    Chiori Johnson - 21yrs, signed from Arsenal in 2018
    Joe Muscatt - 21yrs, joined BW in 2018, Month on loan to Salford last season.
    Harry Brockbank - 20yrs, joined 2017. Another short-term loanee to Salford last season.
    Joe Pritchard - Wikipedia says he signed for Accrington a couple of months ago...

You will be pleased to know that they at least have an Assistant Kitman to help the head honcho in his weighty responsibilities.

• Bolton News reporting that no senior players will play for bolton at the weekend

• https://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/2019/7/31/20748304/report-unlikely-well-see-any-senior-players-playing-for-bolton-wanderers-this-weekend

Hard to believe we're going into a League game with Bolton Wanderers where anything other than three points will be a bit disappointing.

• @rmjlondon said:
    Bolton News reporting that no senior players will play for bolton at the weekend

Gamesmanship

• @rmjlondon said:
    Bolton News reporting that no senior players will play for bolton at the weekend

Not seeing that anywhere on their website, Richie. You got a link to it?

• its above on another post, maybe misquoted the source.

• Even if true and not gamesmanship, it's likely to be the sort of game where all bets are off in terms of result.

• @Wendoverman said:

@rmjlondon said:

Gamesmanship

Has to be a bit hasn't it.

Gaz will have to work hard to ensure our lads understand it still won't exactly be a walkover, especially as we're integrating so many newbies.

If we can get off to a winning start, and put a 15 point deficit between us and Bolton, that's marvellous.

• My suggestion is to take Bayo off after his fourth...

• How long before Bristol Rovers fans start piping up about us gaining an unfair advantage?

• After how much we laboured to beat Fulham's kids in the Checkatrade, I am not taking anything for granted! Sometimes the "easiest" games turn out to be anything but.

That being said, I agree with @Malone that GA will have the players in the right state of mind.

• Not only will they be motivated, no matter what sort of team is put out, they'll also have a nearly full away end behind them. And GA has alluded to the fact that they've been impossible to scout in pre-season.

• Last two first games of the season have been a 2 - 2 draw with Lincoln and a 0 - 0 draw with Blackpool. Hopefully, Gaz has the players in the right state of mind to win at a canter...I would expect Bolton later on in the season will be far less vulnerable.

• the transfer window closes tomorrow for permenant signings so they need to do some business and fast !!!

• Transfer window for Championship clubs closes next Thursday, and for League One and League Two it's the 31st. That's for permanent and loan signings. So we could still sign players from Championship clubs after the 8th, but they can't take any of ours. https://www.efl.com/news/2019/may/efl-clubs-approve-split-approach-to-transfer-window/

• Oh thought it was all tommorow