Skip to content

(More) trouble at Bolton

Comments

• edited July 2019

Note that the EFL are proposing suspension under Regulation 28.2. This would severely disadvantage Wycombe Wanderers as a result of Bolton's failings, insofar as there will be loss of revenue from Saturday (presumably, with no compensation) and the match will need to be replayed on a weekday evening at some point later in the season, by which time Bolton will have new owners and, importantly, will by then have had time to assemble an organised squad of senior players who will be much more competitive and difficult to beat than whatever team they could put out on Saturday. So Wycombe lose money and have less chance of gaining points.

I accept that a replay would be a chance to recoup some of the lost money, although attendances would almost certainly be lower than if Saturday goes ahead, but, from a footballing perspective, would it not be fairer to cancel the match entirely and give Wycombe Wanderers 3 points for a win and a goal or two for goal difference?

• You don;t suppose the power group have conspired with the EFL and engineered this as they haven't sent out our new Season tickets? I have no evidence but you never know...

• edited July 2019

Can't see Saturday going ahead to be honest. The whole situation is a farce.

• @Uncle_T said:
    Note that the EFL are proposing suspension under Regulation 28.2. This would severely disadvantage Wycombe Wanderers as a result of Bolton's failings, insofar as there will be loss of revenue from Saturday (presumably, with no compensation) and the match will need to be replayed on a weekday evening at some point later in the season, by which time Bolton will have new owners and, importantly, will by then have had time to assemble an organised squad of senior players who will be much more competitive and difficult to beat than whatever team they could put out on Saturday. So Wycombe lose money and have less chance of gaining points.

I accept that a replay would be a chance to recoup some of the lost money, although attendances would almost certainly be lower than if Saturday goes ahead, but, from a footballing perspective, would it not be fairer to cancel the match entirely and give Wycombe Wanderers 3 points for a win and a goal or two for goal difference?

Agreed, while we accept it's a real critical situation for Bolton, if it does come to a situation where the game can be moved, and us not compensated, it surely is a bit of a dodgy precedent - namely that a club who aren't prepared for a game, can get it called off without punishment.

• Hang on, it sounds like they've suspended ticket sales to away fans but not home.

• edited July 2019

@th100 said:
    Hang on, it sounds like they've suspended ticket sales to away fans but not home.

I think it's suspended all in.

It's just that they only said it was open to away fans 2 hours ago - so have quickly had to say, erm, now it's suspended to them!

Looking on the website, Bolton doesn't show as available at all.

What a carry on.

• It suggests that the EFL haven’t communicated with us at all, otherwise we wouldn’t have put tickets on sale moments before they announced the game was in doubt.

• We can't be banging on about what's fair based mostly on it costing us an advantage we didn't earn, especially if it sets a precedent that will bite us in the arse someway down the line.

• Just returned from the club, having asked for a ticket app lesson. Staff duly obliged and I was informed that all ticket sales are suspected until 17.00 when the efl will make the decision on this game and possibly the rest of Boltons' season.

• If at 5pm, the EFL dont get the assurances that they were looking for from Bolton and Bury,and postpone Saturdays game.
    How about Wanderers playing MK Don's in a league fixture ?
    Toss of coin to decide the venue ?

• @StrongestTeam said:
    We can't be banging on about what's fair based mostly on it costing us an advantage we didn't earn, especially if it sets a precedent that will bite us in the arse someway down the line.

I totally disagree. It is not fair when the late postponement (if ithappens) costs us (a cash strapped club) a significant amount of money. No gate money on Saturday will affect our cash flow, plus there will be losses on some food and beverages which will be out of date by the next fixture. There will also be costs of reorganising the game and probably a lower gate on a Tuesday night. By the time the game is played Bolton will probably have one of the highest paid squads in the Division.

The League should have a system whereby the INNOCENT club is compensated for expenses and loss of earnings.

• @ChasHarps said:
    If at 5pm, the EFL dont get the assurances that they were looking for from Bolton and Bury,and postpone Saturdays game.

Can taste the ire in the atmo from some posters at such a mk exist type post.

But good idea. No chance it happens even if both games are called off

• If one team is ready to play and the EFL decide another team cannot fulfill the fixture then the innocent side should get the points and be compensated financially.

• @ChasHarps said:
    If at 5pm, the EFL dont get the assurances that they were looking for from Bolton and Bury,and postpone Saturdays game.

I just had to give that a thumbs up Chas...just for the bants!

• @ChasHarps said:

That would be far too sensible.

Interesting though, what would be more of a disadvantage: playing two games then having a weekend off, or starting the season a week late?

• @th100 Given that there are Tuesday night matches either side of the scheduled MK Dons home match it would make sense to bring it forward, start the season this Saturday and have a break a couple of matches in.

• In 2017 Trevor Stroud said that the only time we will play MK Dons in an official fixture would be in a league or cup game. It could still be played behind closed doors, of course, like last time.

• @Uncle_T Exactly, it wouldn't be much of a break. As I say though, far too sensible a suggestion.

• @Wendoverman said:
    If one team is ready to play and the EFL decide another team cannot fulfill the fixture then the innocent side should get the points and be compensated financially.

Does that happen though when the EFL order a postponement of a game because the opposition has two or more players on International duty?

• And to help the financial burden of the team that loses the toss and plays away. All ticket money from away fans goes to them And the same principle for the return fixture.
    Just think if we were drawn away, all money would go to help our cash flow problem,and it would ease the conscience of those who refuse to give any money to the Franchise.
    Maybe the board should give it considerable thought ?

• edited July 2019

@mooneyman said:

@Wendoverman said:
    If one team is ready to play and the EFL decide another team cannot fulfill the fixture then the innocent side should get the points and be compensated financially.

Does that happen though when the EFL order a postponement of a game because the opposition has two or more players on International duty?

Equally irritating, but International duty is a different kettle of fish to a financial sh**show I would suggest...

• International duty postponements are governed by a different set of rules which derive from the premise that a country's national team is the most important thing and that any other team is of no value and must just suck it up to support the national teams.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Just returned from the club, having asked for a ticket app lesson. Staff duly obliged and I was informed that all ticket sales are suspected until 17.00 when the efl will make the decision on this game and possibly the rest of Boltons' season.

That last bit about the rest of Bolton's season is interesting. Perhaps they don't want to be suspending too many fixtures before they call time on the whole thing.

This League One season is Exhibit A on Football being broken. When Coventry playing at Birmingham is a distant third in the crazy stakes, something is seriously wrong...

• @Wendoverman said:

@ChasHarps said:

and I've given you a thumbs down JUST for using the word bants!!

• @Guppys_Left_Leg said:

@Wendoverman said:

@ChasHarps said:

and I've given you a thumbs down JUST for using the word bants!!

Me too mate...it was disgraceful.

• Playing Milton Keynes on Saturday is the most sensible thing to do...so there’s no chance it will happen.

• @floyd said:
    Playing Milton Keynes on Saturday is the most sensible thing to do...so there’s no chance it will happen.

Why? It would just mean we have a free Saturday two weeks later.

• If nothing else one or both of Bolton and Bury might have sorted themselves out in two weeks.

• https://the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26980&sid=62ac3186bf0474d0fca79dbcebaff6d5&start=1220

quote from a Bolton fan as of 5:14...."Hearing on the finest grapiest grape vine that the deal is across the line. A massive amount of salt is to be taken with this information."

• Nearly 40 minutes after the deadline and still no news from the shambolic cowboys at the EFL

Disgrace of an organisation