Skip to content

(More) trouble at Bolton

Comments

• @confusedboltonian, at the end of the day as supporters it's just a couple of hours of entertainment and our lives will move on come 5:00pm, whatever the outcome of the match.
    However, for those employed by your club - either on the playing side or as part of the off-field team - it's their livelihoods. It must be really difficult for them not knowing if or when they might get paid.
    Not sure what solidarity we can show but I'd be surprised if there isn't a chance to join together in singing "I'm a Wanderer" at some point pre-match at the very least.

Hopefully you can all enjoy your day in South Bucks - even if the result goes against you - and we look forwards to playing you again in February.

All the best for the remainder is the season.

• Really pleased @confusedboltonian to hear that Wycombe Wanderers have been a class act in dealings with Bolton over the past couple of weeks and that many friendships have been made. You will get a warm welcome at Adams Park.

Just as you probably won’t be too familiar with many of the Bolton lineup we are in a similar situation in that respect, having signed nine new players in a squad of 23.

Let’s hope for an entertaining afternoon and good luck for the rest of the season (though perhaps not on 15 February!)

• I think Bayo has upset a few Bolton fans after he expressed how excited he was at the prospect of playing against Bolton’s kids, whilst he was a pundit on Sky earlier this evening.

To be fair, the look on his face suggested someone had just left a plate of Nando’s in front of him!

• Doesn't Bayo have a laugh about most things though? That's just his character. No disrespect meant and some of the reaction has been OTT. If we've got them rattled already though, who are we to complain?

• @confusedboltonian your clubs situation i fear will become a growing trend for clubs below the Premier league as clubs gamble to make it to the big time. Bolton is indeed in a dark patch but at least you have been able to fulfil the fixture, which is obviously better than Bury's situation. It would be a shame to see clubs such as yours with such a rich history vanish into the night but I reckon Bolton will recover, the process may be slow but I have no doubt you will rise again.

I hope you have an enjoyable day out in Wycombe tomorrow and I am sure the whole football league community is behind you, safe journey and good luck for the remainder of the season.

• edited August 2019

Thanks for your post, @confusedboltonian. Hope, in every respect except the match result, that you have a great day tomorrow. Have a pint or two of the Marlow Rebellion that should be on offer when you get here - a local brewery beer and really good stuff, even to a moderate drinker like me.

FWIW, despite the optimism that our new investors have brought about, I think most of us are far from sure that tomorrow's outcome is a done deal. Good luck.

• Bolton fans haven't been happy at being charged (I think) £24 for tickets and feel the club is taking advantage of them.

• Coventry City are losing patience with Bolton. Late Thursday afternoon and not a single ticket sold for the match on Saturday to either home or away supporters, with no sign of when they will go on sale: https://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/2019/august/news-coventry-city-statement-regarding-bolton-ticketing-arrangements/

• As a Coventry fan I think paying on the day has to be the safest option. I wouldn't be paying Bolton in advance.

• edited August 2019

Sale of the club has apparently been blocked:

(I think this is genuine)

• It is genuine and Id be worried about our 3 points at this stage !!!

• A very worrying development from a man that has proven he can't be trusted. This is just petty but the consequences could be devastating, I hope they overturn this soon and I'm not just worried about our 3 points.

• This will rumble on. Massively difficult one for the league.

• I suppose as long as they can keep playing games there's time to sort it out...

• Regarding tickets, that is, which still haven't gone on sale to Coventry fans

• Pot and kettle from Cov/ Sisu tbh, masters of keeping everyone in the loop.

• Bolton just issued this, their online ticketing system will be very busy today.

"Tickets for Saturday’s Sky Bet League One game against Coventry City are now on sale – but supporters are advised that there will be no sales available on the day"

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2019/august/coventry-city-ticket-information/

• Bloody hell, I didn't realise they were down to two.

• Rivals now playing against two senior pros is in effect a bye ( just ask Accrington owner for clarification), we had to play against four pros.
    So unfair?

• Are we in a position to loan them one or two of our players free of charge for a month or so? CMS and Gardiner-Smith currently getting nowhere near the first team for example and the latter could definitely benefit from a loan spell somewhere.

• I don't think it is the availability of potential signings or loans that is the problem; rather that they are not being allowed to sign any.

(Note: I still don't understand why they were allowed to sign new players on the day of their match against us, since the regulations clearly state that players must be registered by noon on the day prior to each match in order to be eligible to play.)

• Ah ok, cheers.

• @Uncle_T said:

(Note: I still don't understand why they were allowed to sign new players on the day of their match against us, since the regulations clearly state that players must be registered by noon on the day prior to each match in order to be eligible to play.)

Why does it matter, we won?

• edited August 2019

@mooneyman said:

@Uncle_T said:

It poses an interesting scenario . That the league are making a special allowance to them to bend the rules on registering players in one way, but aren't letting them sign other players at all!

• @mooneyman said:

As we did win it doesn't matter enough to me to investigate further, obtain a full explanation or raise a formal complaint. Had we not won, however, I can assure you that I would have been making a strenuous effort to challenge the eligibility of those players.

I feel certain that had we signed a player on the morning of that match he would have been deemed ineligible to play in it and that, if we had played him, we would subsequently have been given some sort of penalty. I am a strong believer that there should not be one rule for one team and a different rule for others. I feel this more strongly if a team that has failed to manage its business in a responsible manner and brought problems upon itself is given preferential treatment over teams that have acted more responsibly.

• Especially given those players were only signed ‘because the takeover is done,’ and it’s not.

I’m really struggling to understand why Bolton are being allowed to play and Bury aren’t.