Skip to content

(More) trouble at Bolton

Comments

• I live in an existential void @Wendoverman.

• edited July 2019

The Stevenage manager always reminds me of Harry Enfield’s Stavros character, when he’s on 3CR. “Hello peeps, iss Dino ‘ere. We was playing like a load of rub today, innit...”

• I suspect @micra and Mr. Bolton got 'a little bit too close' one night after a few beers in their youths, and have never been able to breach the subject since.

• I’m still waiting for him to respond to my answerphone message. Of course, he may have passed on.

• I gather Bolton have now pulled out of Tuesday's friendly against PNE. This is seriously worrying, even Bury were able to field a team of triallists in their friendlies.

• Please excuse my ignorance, if Bolton are unable to field a team against us we would get the three points?

• edited July 2019

If the game doesn't get played at all, it'll be because Bolton drop out of the EFL, so we wouldn't get the points - can't get any from a game that never existed.

• It’s funny, 10 days ago Bolton looked far more likely to survive than Bury but the situation seems very much reversed right now.

Hopefully the game goes ahead. If it doesn’t, we’ll never be able to say play the original Bolton Wanderers, which would be a real shame.

• But can Bolton get the game postponed? That will then disadvantage us, without any reward.

• Wasn't their game against Brentford initially postponed with the intention of still playing it? They never did in the end, although they got a team out against Forest on the final day. Based on the fact they got that Brentford game postponed, I'd say they could do again.

• Apparently all bar one Bolton player have handed in their notices

• It will probably come down to the League either allowing Bolton to postpone the game or throwing them out of the League. The first option is much more likely.

However, Wycombe the innocent party in all this, are going to lose out financially in having to rearrange the game to a midweek date and lose potential income and sponsorship and incure extra costs.

• Lets not be too harsh on Bolton @mooneyman @Malone you never know when we might need a favour

• the silence from the EFL is deafening

• They are probably going bust for the want of one Premier league players monthly wage. The PL and EFL disgust me. It's obscene when you you look in the media at the transfer fees and wages being talked about. Naturally there should always be clubs with more money than others but the imbalance threatens the whole structure and wellbeing of our National game. In my very small way I will boycott having anything to do with the PL on the media and elsewhere. Real Football starts at league 1 and below The PL has nothing to do with the real game.

• Even if i do get my new season ticket in time I cannot always make midweek games so selfishly I hope it goes ahead even if it ends up with the Bolton u-18s trying to mark bayo.

• There must come a point, in the next 7 days I'd say, when the EFL have to decide if Bolton will be able to fulfill a full seasons fixtures. Without that they would really have no option but to eject them from the league.
    It can't be allowed to drag on into the final week before the season starts or WWFC will have a good case to claim back expenses from the EFL/Bolton for costs incurred.
    It's a sorry state of affairs but the EFL can't let it drag on much longer surely?

• You are spot on The club needs to know as preparations will be being made ie catering , staffing ticket sales etc

• Absolutely the right that the EFL should request an assurance from Bolton’s administrators that they will meet their fixture commitments for the season or be expelled in good time (i’d say by the Monday before they are due to play us).

The problem is however it’s the EFL and I would trust them to do the right thing as much as I would trust my cat.

• Unfair on your cat

• Knowing the EFL we’ll find out the day before.

• The dangling participle in that tweet meant I had to read it several times before I finally understood it. I imagine @micra has had to go for a lie down.

• I’ve had trouble with dangling participles for a number of years @drcongo. Age is also a number of participles. Kinda lost that lovin’ feeling.

• Don't be too surprised if Bolton turn up at AP on the first day with a decent side, apparently they played a game behind closed doors after their friendly was cancelled and had some fairly well known trialists.

• Simplistic I know, but if the staff haven't been paid for 5 months, why would any professional footballer of any note, go there and play?

• Presumably a currently out of work professional footballer on no income might think it’s a worthwhile risk if someone has told them the mess may be sorted in a few weeks and they could end up with a contract.

I’m assuming that the “fairly well-known triallists” fall into this category.

• I am sure money will suddenly appear for the "right" signings even if it is in a "brown envelope"!

• On the bright side a Southend supporting colleague having seen all of their friendlies and having Kevin Bond in charge is confident they will be going down with Bury and Bolton.

• Is the five months without pay thing talking about the club not paying them and they get there money from the PFA?
    The complete ringfencing of football debt does seem to keep players interested in going to club in dire financial trouble.