Skip to content

transfer speculation....

Comments

• Sorry Richie. I've already done the "putting Descartes before the horse" one

• Thanks for that reminder of the painful late reversal last September!

• @rmjlondon he would be relatively young for a Wycombe player at 30 (31 next month).

• yeh he would, I would like us to sign Jamie Mackie but I would be worried about his injury record and also worries me that we have so many forwards with no room for more to come in really, unless we are gonna loan out somebody like Freeman

• FWIW I would be very disappointed if Nick Freeman was loaned out. I think he might be, too !

• I think he will need to be, he hasn't played enough football if he is gonna progress and were stepping up another level which will make it harder for him.

• if any of our front players are loaned out, more likely to be Scott Kashket in my opinion. think he will need to play games to rediscover his scoring touch, not sure he offers much at Lg1 level until he rediscovers his scoring touch. spending autumn at an Aldershot or Sutton or Bromley or Maidenhead may do him the world of good.

• What a load of nonsense @DevC. Akinfenwa hasn't scored in a few games, shall we send him on loan to Aldershot or Sutton or Bromley or Maidenhead?

• Wind ups normally come a little bit more subtle.

• I think if @DevC was on a 'wind-up' he would've suggested loaning Kashket out to Leyton Orient.

There is a genuine issue of keeping 6 top strikers 'busy', assuming injury doesn't reduce Gaz's choices. Good problem to have, and the 'rotation' system used last year seemed to work ok. Any loans would, I imagine, be short term and re-callable, and for the sole purpose of injecting goalscoring confidence - and not along the lines of Max/WDH last year. So I can't imagine a scenario where Kashket has a year rotting in the Conference while we bring in Roy Race from Melchester who slots in alongside Bayo.

• to some extent i agree with you, Strongest. If Kashket does well in preseason and scores goals and then that transfers into regular season scoring like he was 18 months ago, then he would be first choice.

If however preseason doesn't go so well, then I think he would be quite a long way down the pecking order as unlike many of the other strikers, he doesn't contribute a lot apart from goals he scores. rather than being fifth or sixth choice and just getting the odd opportunity, I think it might benefit him and WWFC for him to spend a few months on loan in the conference playing every week and hopefully rediscovering his form of the season before last. If he does that, he might well go back into the team as first choice after Christmas.

I haven't checked to see what the rules are this season coming on loans between league and conference to check whether he can be recalled out of loan window (say playing Aug, Sep and Oct at maidenhead and returning to us in Nov or whether he would then have to wait until Jan)

• Loans to national league can be recalled as with WDH

• They certainly could be last year, Richie. I don't know if the same rules will apply next year.

• Scott Cuthbert released by Luton

• Absolute drivel from Dev here re: Kashket

• The 2017/18 Kashket is 6th in line behind Akinfenwa, Tyson, Mackail-Smith, Cowan-Hall and Freeman for me. Ainsworth's team selections would suggest he feels similarly.

Kashket has a lot to do this pre-season and early season to show he is back to his 2016/17 form.

• @Uncle_T I’d have Kashket in my starting eleven alongside Tyson and Bayo. He’s worked his way back to fitness after a year out and showed glimpses of his old self. A summer followed by pre-season and he really should be ready to go.

• He’s always seemed a striker in the Ole Gunnar Solskjer mould to me, right place right time right finish. Just needs service and confidence and the goals will come

• Spot on @NorsQuarters (or should I say Nors).

• Trouble is 4 goals in 25 games (12 as sub) in 2017 and 2018. For an out and out goal scorer who does little else, that's not great.

Now he's been injured so certainly not time to give up on him. But unless he can start the season well, he will be a bit player at best. Is that the best prospect of him rediscovering confidence and form or a couple of months away playing every week and hopefully scoring regularly too.

Unless he starts well in July and Aug, I'd look for a loan for a couple of months.

• @DevC - out of interest, roughly how many games have you seen Scott Kashket play (a) in 17/18 and (b) ever?

• I'd say Kashket looked much better in recent weeks than his goal record. Maybe the old fashioned way of watching a player to see how he is doing is out of date now. The stats don't lie do they?

• Not many but I can read statistics.

Do you disagree with the analysis that he is primarily a goal scorer and contributes little else?

Do you disagree with the analysis that he needs games to regain form and confidence?

Do you disagree with the analysis that if he doesn't start the season well , he will be well down the pecking order and will struggle to get regular game time in Lg1.

• he is well down the order now, regardless of how he starts, he does nothing to contribute we have seen that in games last season when he was picked when he shouldn't have been.

• Dev, this whole never watch us play, yet act like an oracle on everything Wycombe really is as ludicrous as it is infuriating.

You can't go on stats alone, as I suspect you know.

• Re: Kashket I think there may be an element of loss of confidence and his late season displays certainly lacked a little something.

However, I strongly disagree that we should judge him on just his goalscoring. His positioning and ability to find space in the box is superb at our level(s) and what that does mean is that it is something very different for opposition defenders to worry about, which can help give extra time and space to our other attackers.

If he is fit, I think he would be very useful as an impact sub type of player, even if not a guaranteed starter (unless he does get back into that rich vein of form he had last season).

I actually think that farming him out to a conference side will probably knock his confidence more, even if he does start scoring bucketloads

• I like stats and have watched every game Kashket has played this season. I agree with every part of Dev's analysis of Kashket.

• Don't engage him, he's talking drivel

• It's an interesting thought Booker that loaning him out may damage his confidwncw more than leaving him as perhaps 6th choice. Maybe you are right.

When at the top of his game, he is clearly a very good player in the lower leagues. Question is how to get him back to that level.

To be honest if he has an ineffective time in the rest of 2018, you would fear for him a bit. Let's hope he scores a hattrick in the first preseason game and demands a starting place.

• Here’s another stat for you Dev. Scott Kashket has a record of 17 goals in 39 appearances for Wycombe (approximately half of those appearances have been as a sub). It is a goals per minute ratio better by a mile than any current player. I can read stats too.