Skip to content

3 wins in 21 games 10 conceded in the last four games 7 yellow cards today ...

Comments

• I disagree that GA has until Christmas. There has been murmurings from the crowd at the last 3 games. If we lose the next 2 or 3 games I agree with @eric_plant he will be in a vulnerable position.

Hope he can turn it around as he's a good guy but the team run around for 90 mins currently with no real direction or game plan. I'm not an advocate of long ball but teams have made it work, we can't even get that right.

• We don't have the players to play long ball

• Re contract renewals, I would be surprised if Akinfenwa was our highest earner. Fine player In the past, more of a bit player now. Is there any evidence to suggest that he is?

Whether other players contract should be renewed depends on their salary levels and obviously we don't know those. I was a little surprised that both Bloomfield and Bean were offered new contracts (but then I was assuming O'Nien would have been fit). Wood immediately post Wembley when this contract was agreed, I would absolutely have given a two year deal to, or a one year with an option after X games, one. Last summer given the choice, I probably still would have given him one more year, but a more marginal decision.

The squad when reasonably fit, looks good at the back and in midfield. Upfront it always did look a little more iffy - really needed Southwell to be a regular goalscorer and that can never be relied on when a player has jumped a coupe of levels. Much the same applies to Freeman in midfield. Either or both may yet come good - lets hope so.

Obviously don't know where the finances are and whether there is any scope for bringing in a further player. There are still some reasonable quality players out there - Nathan Tyson and Reuben Reid amongst them - sniffing around Lg2 clubs. I wonder if they might just help a little.

• Tyson has signed for Kilmarnock

• Shame.
    Reid anyone? Were bridges burnt last time?

• Certainly wouldn't have wanted Tyson back, as he was so outstanding the first time round and there's no way he'll be anywhere near the same player 10 years (?) on, and with so many injuries.

Akinfenwa, I've heard a couple of people who probably know more than me, say was signed as an impact sub, but due to our injury hit start has had to play more full games.

Personally, i'm finding him the one enjoyable aspect of our season so far.
    People tell me Southwell "will score goals", but they can only be basing that off his non league record. He doesn't look like he'll get more than 5 all season to me.

• Don't think Southwell will get goals the way we play. Lumping aimless balls up to him hasn't worked so far.

He runs around and works extremely hard but maybe just not suited to our style. I hope and think he will come good.

• Interesting to note that the loudest supporters of Gareth Ainsworth are those who seldom watch matches.

• I wouldn't say seldom is entirely fair, but I guess it does put me in a position where I value results more than style of football compared to someone who goes to every game.

Of course it might just be because of a small sample though rather than a real pattern.

• If you listen to the angry minority, a lot of the singing "gang" for example, they're really whipping up a ferocious anti Ainsworth mood at the moment.

While I can imagine a time it'd definitely be time to part way, I couldn't imagine making it so personal.
    It's not like he's done a Smith, and completely wrecked an almost magical adventure, sent cult heroes packing, wasted tonnes of money on garbage, taken praise for stuff he hasn't done, all the time acting like he's doing an incredible job in sheer mediocrity.
    That's the type of character who deserves a real barracking.

• I'm a bit late on this thread, there have been some good posts amongst the voluminous spoutings of those who haven't watched us play even vaguely regularly over the past 9 months and some of the usual rubbish that is par for the course in a public forum discussing football.

The long and short of it is that performances have not been good enough since the turn of the year. I, and I sense the vast majority of supporters want Gareth Ainsworth to succeed, and have been willing to give him the off season reorganise a squad whose balance had gone out of kilter. Keeping old favourites on when their recent performances have not exactly been stellar wasn't a great sign, then the signing of known injury risks (Cowan-Hall, Weston and Müller) added to the apprehension.
    The performances at the start of the season unfortunately were more of the same, culminating in the abject display against Col U. The chance to rebuild confidence with two solid performances in games where any points gained would be a bonus against two teams expected to be battling it out at the top has come and gone, this match on Saturday against Stevenage is absolutely massive for WWFC, nevermind Gareth Ainsworth's future at the club. If we put in a good performance and get a good result, this could well give us the fillip needed to save the season. If it's a re-run of the Col U game, Howard's loyalty to and faith in Ainsworth will be tested very sorely.

I hope the support on Saturday will be positive if things don't go well immediately, though the crowd at Wycombe have tended in the past to react well to our lads trying to play rather than the horrible to watch panicky long ball 'football' we have had to endure over the calendar year.

Hopefully we can all get behind the lads on Saturday and pull through a hard time together, though the lads also have to give the crowd something to get behind as well.

• Great post that

• I don't think Andrew Howard's loyalty and faith in Gareth Ainsworth will be tested at all should the Stevenage game be a re-run of the Col U game. For a start he didn't see the Col U game as he was in France.

• Is it?

"The signing of known injury risks (...Weston...) added to the apprehension" Reading Marginalista 13/9/16

"Weston has been a player I've always liked the look of when I've seen him and am sure can be a good player for us." Reading Marginalista 30/6

As far as I remember virtually everyone welcomed PCH signing at the time too.

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing............

• I had about four separate chats with people where it was suggested PCH wouldn't make it through pre-season safely

I was actually pretty excited about getting him to be fair

• The signings looked a terrific bunch. 2 pacy wingers, one of which we knew for sure was a quality player at this level. A hot shot lower league player who'd scored tonnes, and the most famous lower league player we know is a real handful.
    Plus a keeper who'd had a solid long term career at this level.
    Muller himself sounded a real catch, Hayes said "we can't believe we've got him"

That looked a real tidy bunch.

I don't think anyone really thought that 4 of them would get injured having contributed about 110mins between them. Plus Southwell looking incredibly unlikely to even get 2 chances a game, let alone score.
    And Akinfenwa hasn't been given much chance of doing much with massive punts all game.

Ho hum. Roll on Saturday!

• My recollection is everyone knew it was a risk, most thought it a risk worth taking, I certainly thought it was quite smart just signing him until January to reduce the risk. I wonder if he will recover full fitness in time.

• I was and still am excited about the signings of Weston and PCH. Their injury records were a concern right from the start for me though and those who think this wasn't mentioned or a factor are very wrong. Hindsight is better than guessing

• @DevC I make no apology for being impressed with Myles Weston in previous seasons, I like a good pacey winger and when I looked at his injury record when he was previously out of contract a couple of years ago, all seemed fine.
    I since read up on his season last year, which he spent mostly on the sidelines and has now failed to play 90 minutes of competitive football for almost a year. Any decision buy on that basis would be a bit of a risky punt, though I would be delighted if he could recapture the form he has shown in the past.

• how can we be paid in installments for ibe when it was a sell percentage clause .

• Hard to reconcile that with "in the off season ...., signing of known injury risk ..... Weston.... added to the apprehension. If you really studied last season, you would know that Weston had a foot injury, it happens. Now he has a groin injury. hard to see them as related. As far as I know he previously had a decent injury record.

Rather seems to me, you are using hindsight to fit an agenda rather than looking objectively.

• edited September 2016

I also forgot to mention the calf injury he had before the end of the season. I'm not sure what agenda you think I'm pushing here, just my impressions once the dust has settled. If changing your views in the face of facts and evidence is 'using hindsight to fit an agenda' in your world, then that's your lookout.
    From what I've seen of Weston since he's joined is his anonymous display against Maidenhead (where he looked like he had either lost a lot of his previous pace, or was carrying an injury) and the 10 minutes at Crawley. The sum total of this experience is that you wouldn't expect him to immediately be putting in the 90 minutes week in week out that will be required from our players in such a small squad. On that basis I think he's a gamble for WWFC.
    You're welcome to think he's been a great signing so far and will be a surefire hit, though I fear that his forays in the quarters may be limited, and his pace may not be what it once was. I will of course be delighted to be proved wrong as Myles Weston firing on all cylinders would really inject some life into the side.

• @DJTaylor I'm sure some of Howard's board members did see that game. I hear one of them has a 'relegation radar' that may have started beeping after the second goal went in.

• Just to close the loop on the above, Reuben Reid has now signed for Exeter

• And Hilary had pneumonia.

• And Donald is worth around 4.5 billion dollars.

• I go to the home games and would like Gaz to do well...I go to Adams Park with hope in my heart but performances have been quite poor since we got to the legendary 61 points last term. I seem to recall being worried about PCH's injuries when he signed, but had no idea that Weston was a risk and had actualy been told he would 'do a good job' for us by a Southender. My worries are...a lack of Plan B, Harriman not higher up the pitch, players bought but not played and very late subs. The only bright spot to be honest is that in Akinfenwa we do have a player who can get on the end of a desperate hoofball, control it and pass it...

• edited September 2016

@ "If you really studied last season, you would know that Weston had a foot injury, it happens. Now he has a groin injury. hard to see them as related."

Why do you find it hard to see them them as related?
    I see it as quite probable. If the sub conscious is protecting an injury in the foot, then the leg will not move correctly when running, impacting on soft tissues elsewhere, it is actually quite common.

• edited September 2016

@EwanHoosaami . It's a comment from someone who clearly hasn't ever done any sport in their life, or perhaps gone to school and learnt the old song, the hip bones connected to the.... etc

The main injury Weston had was apparently plantar fasciitis. That means nothing to most footballers, but any runner will tell you that is arguably THE worst injury to get, as basically putting your foot on the floor is severe pain!
    The mind boggles at attempting to be a pro sportsman with it