Skip to content

3 wins in 21 games 10 conceded in the last four games 7 yellow cards today ...

Comments

• He's safe (rightly in my opinion) until Christmas. I think if we are rock bottom by then and our rock & roll football is still offbeat and out of tune he will likely fall on his sword.

It is worth remembering that 18 months ago his peers thought he was the best manager in the division. I know that's history and 2016 has been unremittingly bleak (anyone had a look yet at our worst calendar year performance? I'd be curious to know what we need to do to not beat it) but he does deserve the opportunity to fix it.

Interestingly (to me anyway) this season has a bit of a feel of our centenary one (if memory serves) when we were dire beyond belief for the first half of it before completely turning it around and getting promoted at the end. (I do realise that is not exactly a likely outcome this time)

• The most infuriated I've ever been by an opposition team was that Westley Stevenage team. Every challenge seemed to be a borderline foul, and the time wasting, especially that once a half fake injury so they could have a little teamtalk/drink was unbelievable.

The worry is, that other team's fans are starting to describe us in quite a similar fashion to the above.

There's being a team people don't want to play against, but then there's a gear above that, which is just negative all round. When teams have smashed you, and they're still ranting on about your style, and it's not just bitterness having lost, that's a real worry.

• Used to watch those Stevenage games and think "glad I don't have to watch that every week"

Now we pretty much do. Garry Thompson's dive the other week the latest low point

• If what @DevC is saying is that anything other than a bottom six finish is a reasonable achievement given current circumstances, that Ainsworth leaving would make a bottom six finish more likely, and that fans chanting Ainsworth out in turn makes it more likely he will go (either by his own choice or not) then there's nothing there I disagree with.

I've only seen one game so far this season (Blackpool 0-0) but the Portsmouth game at least sounded exciting even if the result wasn't ideal. We might have conceded 8 goals in the last three, but we've scored 6 which might be th first time that's happened in 2016. Stevenage and Carlisle both look tough games, but if we keep on scoring and tighten up at the back we should be OK both in terms of results and being able to watch more exciting football than so far this year.

• @Chris said:
    If what DevC is saying is that anything other than a bottom six finish is a reasonable achievement given current circumstances, that Ainsworth leaving would make a bottom six finish more likely, and that fans chanting Ainsworth out in turn makes it more likely he will go (either by his own choice or not) then there's nothing there I disagree with.

I've only seen one game so far this season (Blackpool 0-0) but the Portsmouth game at least sounded exciting even if the result wasn't ideal. We might have conceded 8 goals in the last three, but we've scored 6 which might be th first time that's happened in 2016. Stevenage and Carlisle both look tough games, but if we keep on scoring and tighten up at the back we should be OK both in terms of results and being able to watch more exciting football than so far this year.

If you've only been to one game this season then I don't see how you're qualified to comment. For the record we have conceded 8 in the last 2 games. The end of your post is pure pie in the sky I'm afraid. We are in a dire situation

• I think dire might be overstating, but yes, it's not great. But I don't believe that it would be improved if we didn't have Ainsworth as manager.

Our position is largely a result of having a low budget and focussing the resources we do have on a small playing staff (which has been a successful approach in the last two seasons). The small squad means we suffer a worse impact from injuries than clubs which can afford to have backup players. The new loan rules accentuate this as we cannot bring in, say, a loanee left-back as cover. You don't need to go to matches to see that.

I don't go to many games so I'm less affected by the style Ainsworth plays. I agree it doesn't make for the most exciting games to watch, although not as bad as under Taylor. But there does seem to have been a change since Northampton, with plenty of goals at both ends.

• "if we keep on scoring and tighten up at the back we should be OK both in terms of results and being able to watch more exciting football."

Of course! Shoulda thought of that. Quick, give Gareth a call, everything's going to be okay.

• @Chris
    'if we keep on scoring and tighten up at the back we should be OK'

Sounds like nothing more than a generic manager soundbite to be honest. It's kind of stating the obvious isn't it? How we achieve it though is really the point of all the debate on here in recent days. Some think Ainsworth can do, others don't. You seem very nervous about what will happen if Ainsworth goes. What gives you these nerves? It's clearly not from watching the team this season.

• I don't think you should waste his time with that.

The point is we weren't scoring and now we seem to be. If we can combine that with not letting in goals we'll be fine. Obviously it's not as simple as that to do, but there seems to have been a change since before Northampton. Maybe it's just a coincidence and we will go back to 1-0s and 0-0s, but maybe it isn't.

• @Malone - "other teams are starting to describe us like Westley-style Stevenage"? They've been doing that for quite a while now, Vital's "The Opposition View" reads that way most weeks.

• @Chris said:
    I don't think you should waste his time with that.

The point is we weren't scoring and now we seem to be. If we can combine that with not letting in goals we'll be fine. Obviously it's not as simple as that to do, but there seems to have been a change since before Northampton. Maybe it's just a coincidence and we will go back to 1-0s and 0-0s, but maybe it isn't.

The fact that you're citing the Northampton game just shows how much you are clutching at straws. That was a meaningless tinpot cup game in which the cobblers fielded a reserve side. They have lost one match in 40 league games, we wouldn't have stand a chance against their first 11

• And both Portsmouth and Luton games were against sides who are significantly better than us. Maybe we should disregard them too.

• It's a joyless existence at times isn't it?

• @Chris said:
    And both Portsmouth and Luton games were against sides who are significantly better than us. Maybe we should disregard them too.

But you didn't go so how do you know? We made both teams look an awful lot better then they actually are. 6 of the 8 goals were absolute gifts. Luton lost at home to Grimsby who were poor when they came to AP.

• Teams have been significantly better than us for many a year but I can never remember it being used as an excuse as to why we are not beating them. We've had teams (even in recent years) who weren't the best but never thought they were second best.

I want a team to go toe to toe with every team in our league and but for some horrible defending on Saturday it sounds to me like we did. That's a big positive and hopefully the noises from the club and supporters like you Chris will stop telling us there are certain teams that we really shouldn't be able to beat.

• We'll see at the end of the season whether one or both of them gets promoted or not. Fancy a wager?

• Can beat; don't expect to beat; shouldn't get that disheartened if we don't beat all apply.

• As I see it in life, in just about any situation you can find reasons to be negative and miserable about it. Equally you can nearly always find reasons to be positive and optimistic.

There is an odd fashion amongst the young in society at the moment that it is clever to be negative. In WWFC at least that fashion seems to be spreading to those a little older.

Personally I think its a daft outlook but each to their own except in one aspect. Focusing on the negative in many situations has a tendency in life to be self-perpetuating. Where others negativity affects me, I tend to get a bit brassed off. Otherwise if you wish you can be as miserable as you want.

• @Chris I'd venture that both Portsmouth and Luton will be in the mix (even though I think both are flaky and at risk at dropping off the pace).

That, though, is not the point. Wycombe Wanderers have gone away to sides who have won leagues or been promoted and beaten plenty of them. We shouldn't be saying 'oh they're good so we have no chance'.

Imagine us going to Man City all those years ago with the club PR warning us they are pretty good so don't expect too much.

Worse still. 'It could get alot worse before it gets better'.

• Replies are all getting jumbled up here, but I've already answered that @Right_in_the_Middle

There's a difference between being able to beat someone, and an expectation that we should be beating them.

• @Chris The discussion has just been hijacked by @DevC again so it's all a bit pointless carrying on with now.
    Ignoring his troll attempt I think we are talking at slightly crossed purposes on this though. I'm talking about the pre game downplay about the quality of the opposition rather than the feeling afterwards. I was dissapointed by the Luton loss but not last Saturday at Portsmouth. I thought we showed up ok until the usual second half drift.
    I'm sure the players are trying to win every game. I'm just getting very worn down by the little Wycombe stuff coming from the club to try to lower expectations.

• @Right_in_the_Middle But when the fans are chanting Ainsworth out, you can see why they would be trying to dampen unreasonable expectations. We do have a low budget, so mid-table is a relative success. They have made a rod for their own back here with a wildly optimistic 'five year plan' predicting incremental improvement without anything actually driving that improvement.

The joyless football is a problem - the number of goals, or perhaps more importantly the number of decent chances, in 2016 has not been good enough.

• We were told that year 3 of the plan would involve a push for the play offs. We have had to endure the 'punching above our weight' for two years. It works both ways

• And the plan was frankly bollocks.

• But we are a 'fan owned' club. We are all in this together. One Wycombe etc etc

• did we even get the money for ibe the way things are going doesn't look like we did .

• If everyone blocks Dev like i have this site would be much more enjoyable to use.

• @Chris said:
    Yes?

Doesn't feel like it

• we got money from sale of Ingram and ibe yet still our budget is very low surely we could of increased it abit .