Skip to content

3 wins in 21 games 10 conceded in the last four games 7 yellow cards today ...

Comments

• Oh Trevor.

• @Chris Not sure the communication is or will ever work between those who chant for the manager to leave and a willingness to dampen expectations. I don't agree with the chants but I'm not sure we can order people not to make them. To be honest in the games I've been to I've not heard anyone chanting this.

Ainsworth isn't going anywhere at the moment and to be honest neither should he (unless he gets poached by another club). It pointless chanting for him to leave but so much of what the morons chant is pointless.

My worry is that Ainsworth is starting to react to it and that is never a good thing. He doesn't need to even acknowledge it if he is confident in his plans. I hope he stays strong, tweaks the style changes he has made in the last three games and tried to give players the confidence that might mean a few fewer howlers at the back.

That was pretty positive hopefully.

• Regarding the Five Year Plan being bollocks:-

Football League Paper article dated 21 August 2016:-
    Chairman How says: "It's categorical, we're going for promotion."

Only three weeks on and this already looks ridiculous. It is patently obvious that we do not currently possess the resources to pursue such lofty ambitions. So why say it?

• I agree with a lot of what's been said. I do think though, @Right_in_the_Middle , that some of the changes for the better that have transpired since Col U have been as a result of a reaction to the general negative attitude after that game.

That is not to say that without such a reaction things would not have changed, but it did feel like Gaz, in acknowledging the negativity, approached a few things differently, and there are definitely signs of perhaps a change in mentality. The goals for/against for one thing is drastically different to before.

In addition, Facebook group negativity is one thing, real life negativity is another. I don't think everyone on social media could ever be pleased at the same time. However, I have not seen or heard any 'Ainsworth out!' rumblings during or after either of the last two away games. It's been a bit quiet, with some encouraging chants thrown in and a few people evidently going intent to not even watch the football and then complain when ejected. But in general there has been (in person at games) an acceptance that the two games would be hard and some slight satisfaction that there have been glimpses of attacking threat at times.

Should nobody say a word if we don't win another game between now and Christmas? Of course not. You can't expect to be in this job and not feel some pressure when things are going badly. If I could wave a magic wand and exclude everyone from the stadium who 'boos', would I? Of course not, as we would end up in a happy clappy stadium with 1500 fans and players and a manager who think we are happy being on a downward spiral to the conference. And make no mistake, that IS where we are headed on current form (those are just facts). Do I have the faith that we can turn that around? 100%.

• On current form we'd finish 22nd, surely?

But I don't think there's much there to disagree with. I think we're basically all in agreement that we'd like things to be better, and that Ainsworth is currently best placed to make things better, but this will need to be reviewed as the season continues.

• Sorry, by current form i am also including the tail end of last season. Obviously the current league table talks the loudest, but form for last 3 games, last 15 games etc... makes for grim reading.

• The start to the season is not the problem in itself. It's the last third of last season plus the off season hype plus the first few games. Anyone ignoring the first two is not understanding either the problem or the feelings of those who do.
    Another quite generic statement Chris but when you don't say anything you can't disagree. Ainsworth is in the hot seat with enough credit in the bank to justify continuing. He's very lucky and we should be very proud that we are a club that values this credit.

• I'm saying I think we're better off if he stays. Are you?

• He's certainly got two massive games coming up

Lose on Saturday and Tuesday and he's in a very vulnerable position I'd say

• We are better off if he stays, principally due to the huge amount (in relation to our current financial position) of compensation that Ainsworth would get. Any new manager would probably want his own coaching staff so the likes of Dobbo would also need paying off.

• You can go on all you like about us having a small budget. But whatever your budget the manager's job is to get the most out of it. Some of the decisions made over the summer beggar belief, quite frankly. And that includes making Akinfenwa the highest paid player out of those precious resources, regardless of twitter engagement figures.

• Is Akinfenwa the highest paid player?

• I would have thought Hayes is still the top earner. Akinfenwa is only a part time player, so if he is the highest earner Howard needs his brains tested.

• I think the credit he has in the bank and the fact he is the manager who's assembled this squad makes him the best choice for the foreseeable future. But that isn't answering your question.

Are we better off if he stays? Morally yes, financially yes but based on 2016 form it's a no from me. I don't subscribe to the theory he's bulletproof in the job and the club will go on when he does leave (hopefully as a result of success rather than failure). I think our playing style has been found out and I think the players we have are better than they are showing. Our discipline is a disgrace and I worry about our fitness levels later in games.

I like the fact the club has faith in the manager and I think he's done enough to warrant that faith. He's not going anywhere this side of Christmas whatever anyone says. He can turn it around again and the evidence of the recent performances if not results suggests he is trying.

So to summarise I'm happy with Ainsworth to be our manager. I'm just not sure how upset I'd be if he wasn't

• I believe that yes, Akinfenwa is our top wage earner

• I like Akinfenwa, but I agree if that's the case then it isn't a brilliant use of limited resources.

• @Vincey . Are you the chap who has co-commentated a few times on the official wycombe coverage? This very anti approach you're taking won't do you any favours getting called back if it is!

• @trevor . You just won't be told will you.

We're in debt. We get a windfall, it goes into the debt! What bit of that don't you understand?

• @chris nor was giving Bloomfield a new contract, nor was getting into a position where Wood could invoke his contract clause for a year's extension

These are tough, horrible decisions to have to make but that's the manager's job. We've been left with a squad that isn't really equipped to play any style well. Not enough quality to play a passing or possession based game, not enough speed to play on the counter attack, no target man to be able to play direct

This summer's business did not in any way reflect a clear strategy. It seemed more of a stick with what we've got and hope they can turn it around approach

Anyone who's been watching carefully since the turn of the year knew we needed big changes

And I'll say it again, signing Akinfenwa was an unfathomable decision

• @Malone said:
    Vincey . Are you the chap who has co-commentated a few times on the official wycombe coverage? This very anti approach you're taking won't do you any favours getting called back if it is!

I am indeed that chap. I think that it's only right that I give an honest opinion on what I'm seeing. I'm deeply concerned that come May we will be in a similar situation to the one that nearly ended in us being relegated at Torquay.

• I also like Gaz...but we are certainly lacking a spark. Our dependable central defenders seem to be struggling, Harriman in the defence always depresses me and signing young players and not giving them a chance to get into games we are clearly either losing or chasing also disappoints. I'm hoping returnees will turn things around. Fingers crossed.

• edited September 2016

malone we got enough from transfers to pay Hayes off well we should of anyway not sure what we got we never been told or likely too be .

• @trevor If you admit you are 'not sure' what we got, and admit you have 'never been told', how on earth can you state in quite literally the same breath that 'we got enough from transfers to pay Hayes off'??!?

• @eric_plant Akinfenwa is an effective target man, and PCH and Weston provide a different threat to the rest of the squad. They do of course have a poor injury record, so we can't say it's entirely down to bad luck that they aren't playing at the moment - but it seems to me a clear attempt to change things since the end of last season.

Southwell didn't look like much when I saw him, but that was only for fifteen odd minutes.

I don't know the details of the Wood renewal, but the Bloomfield contract seems an OK decision to me. He's a useful guy to have in the squad, even if he isn't Sam Saunders.

From Ainsworth's post-Luton comments I think he tried to sign Hylton over the summer, but got nowhere near the wage required.

• Akinfenwa is nowhere near mobile enough to be an effective target man and can only play for about half an hour each week

• we must of got more than 1.5m from the ibe sale or is that wrong also how long will we be cutting our budgets just to save costs .

• I don't think he can play week in week out, but he's done well enough when he is on the pitch.

• @trevor It is highly unlikely we got the cash in one bulk payment. We have been through this on here multiple times. It will be in monthly installments, almost all of which will go towards off-setting the money owed to Hayes.

• @Vincey I bet you twenty quid Wycombe won't be in danger of relegation by April 2017. Or relegated already, I'm not being clever.

Can go to charity or yourself, don't mind which.

• @peterparrotface said:
    Vincey I bet you twenty quid Wycombe won't be in danger of relegation by April 2017. Or relegated already, I'm not being clever.

Can go to charity or yourself, don't mind which.

I haven't said anywhere that I think we will go down, I said that I'm worried. Losing can become a difficult habit to shake off.