Skip to content

3 wins in 21 games 10 conceded in the last four games 7 yellow cards today ...

Comments

• Do you understand the word "ensure", Righty.

• I do and isn't that the point? I don't think anyone in the history of sport has sacked the manager to 'ensure' results improve. Where in life can you 'ensure' anything apart from death and taxes?

• With Ainsworth mundane hoofball driving down attendances, and @DevC long boring tedious trolling reducing the posters on this forum.
    Perhaps we have found a common link.

• edited September 2016

So what was your point again Righty - it does seem to keep on changing.

My point throughout - if the supporters fail to show understanding of the difficulties caused by budget and injuries, they are likely to make relegation, which we all wish to avoid, more likely. Sacking managers, while a common kneejerk reaction, is not the panacea to all ills that too many seem to think it is.

Which seems a good place to leave it.

• So it's the fans fault teams get relegated. A great time to leave it. For good I think.

• Once again you have failed to understand a very simple sentence. Bye.

• A very simple sentence with a dash and three commas in. I'll take not following it.

Can a sentence have three commas in it?

• If you are genuinely unable to understand that sentence, it would explain an awful lot of your posts over the years.

• My point throughout - if the supporters fail to show understanding of the difficulties caused by budget and injuries, they are likely to make relegation, which we all wish to avoid, more likely.

Unless you have deliberately messed up your participles, you are very definitely blaming the supporters for relegation. This has to be up there for the award for most bizarre post the new gasroom has seen in its short existence.

Despite the fact that I'm 90% sure this is all a windup, I'm interested to hear how you think the supporters make relegation more likely, and how, if the supporters are able to directly affect whether a team gets relegated or not, supporters understanding something will keep us up?

• The heading to this thread needs some commas!

• Blimey it's catching. You are right this is getting increasingly bizarre.

I am saying that supporters actions may make relegation MORE LIKELY. You can tell from the way I said that supporters "are likely to make relegation more likely". If you interpret that as blaming supporters fully for relegation, then you have an odd grasp of the English Language, but they do have the ability through their actions to become a contributory factor.

How? Well surely that is blindingly obvious. Footballers and managers and chairmen are human beings. If footballers face constant barracking and abuse online and particularly at the game, some (if not all) may well lose confidence, seek to hide on the pitch, take the safe option and pass the ball sideways or hoof it long when they do get it rather than try a more promising but more difficult option. Many a chairman has reacted to managers getting abuse by taking the superficially popular decision to sack the manager, diverting abuse and responsibility from himself onto the departed manager. On the other hand, supporters adopting an understanding and supportive attitude, shouting words of encouragement to a player who has made a mistake can reassure him and improve his performance. They also can have an effect on opposition players, encouraging them when they feel home supporters on their own teams backs.

Sorry do you honestly not understand and agree with that? And obviously by extension, players performing better are likely to achieve better results reducing the risk of relegation. Genuinely cant believe I am having to spell that out.

• Your missing two apostrophes Dev!

• Possibly. If you want to be pedantic "you're" not "your"

• Genuinely can't believe you can form this opinion without attending matches.

• edited September 2016

Ah the default line when the argument is lost. Genuinely thought you were better than that.

• Constant barracking! Yeah it's a wall of noise at Adams Park.

The noise of lightly shrugged shoulders is destroying the team!

• Is it possible too that supporters could make a team LESS likely to be relegated by shouting at them during the match, encouraging them to not try anything risky and therefore to play safe balls that do not get intercepted by the opposition, helping them to maintain possession and scrape a few extra points over the course of a season?

• Anything is possible Attitude. It just comes down to what you consider more likely.

• @DevC; no need to spell anything, fans can witness with their very own eyes.

The high intensity, pressure style, is done and dusted, we done that, the opposition, have sussed that. So new tricks please, and there lies our problem, we haven't got one/any and trying (get out the traps and play better football) is taking his toll, with current the injuries (players out of position) and soon to bite us in the arse suspensions, if we continue to amass them at current rate.

This is it, with what we got, so enjoy the ride, as 4 or 5 games are going to be crucial, for players/coaching staff moral and supporters expectations alike.

• Fairly important to spell "morale" correctly I suggest...................

• @peterparrotface said:
    The noise of lightly shrugged shoulders is destroying the team!

This.

• so devc blames the fans for our plight typical

• Poor old Dev, not even Chris is backing him up today. He's reached peak stupid

• My head hurts.

• These personal little scuffles really need shifting into a separate thread

• Next few games are crucial. If things don't improve GA is gone, simple as that. The football is dreadful, the atmosphere is poor and people are simply not turning up to watch.

The players look like they are playing with no ideas, no plan A or B and quite frankly the fight seems to have gone.

Arguably we have played 2 of the better sides back to back. But surely you just operate a game plan to combat this?

• Am intrigued what makes anyone think Gaz is anywhere even remotely near the end, however results go.

It's like people forget how abject we were during that near relegation season, and he wasn't close to the sack then.
    Since then, we've had an incredible season and a good half of one. We now find ourselves with what even the most unreasonable fan would admit is a huge injury crisis.

I think we'd have to be stone cold rock bottom by a long way by Jan/ Feb for him being sacked to even flicker past Howard's thoughts.

• You may well be right @Malone but the pressure will mount from fans and attendances will drop further I suspect. That will be tough even for someone like Howard to ignore.

Anyway, Win the next 3 games and we are having a very different conversation.

• @Malone said:
    Am intrigued what makes anyone think Gaz is anywhere even remotely near the end, however results go.

It's like people forget how abject we were during that near relegation season, and he wasn't close to the sack then.
    Since then, we've had an incredible season and a good half of one. We now find ourselves with what even the most unreasonable fan would admit is a huge injury crisis.

I think we'd have to be stone cold rock bottom by a long way by Jan/ Feb for him being sacked to even flicker past Howard's thoughts.

The most sensible post amongst the inaine bickering.

It's not like it's promotion or bust for the club this season, although I can't remember exactly where we are in 'the five year' plan.

That said, It is getting harder and harder to watch what we serve up each week, but my biggest disappointment over the last season or so is the reputation of our team. It's almost embarrassing to say you're a Chairboy to another lower league fan these days and you feel obliged to offer the same old excuses for it.

For what it's worth, I'd like Gaz to stay and turn things around. We need to try something else though as the pressing hoofball doesn't work anymore since teams put in the extra effort against us due to our reputation.