Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• He was a quality captain and player, especially in that first loan spell and playoff season.
    If he missed a game it was a real blow.

Just never seemed fit after that though, and the partnership with Thompson was a real underwhelming one. At the time I thought it was the Thommo side that let it down, but in reality I now realise it was more the other way round.

When Bayo came in, I believe he was meant to be a rotational/Plan B. Instead, it quickly became obvious he would be the absolute key to our play. That left the wide positions, which just didn't suit Hayes.

Hopefully as the main striker role at Newport, with pace and legs around him he can still be a decent league 2 player for a season or even on going.

• Seemed a good bloke. Hope he does well. Not expecting to hear of tremendous success.

• Legs have gone
    He will hate life in Newport
    Will be all over by seasons end
    That goal at Spurs was like the last sip from a fine old bottle of wine

• His goalscoring rate has always been less than impressive. He averages just over 7 goals a season in the English leagues.

• Exactly like the kind of player we would have spaffed our wage budget on 2 seasons ago. He wouldn't get a look in now with the strike force we've got.

• er... i think he would somehow

• He had a loan spell with us, and I couldn't see anything in him.
    Maybe it was in our "striker's graveyard" period, but there's no way on earth that a guy who can only be fit enough to play a handful of games a season would cope with our high intensity way of playing.

• Church choose Scunthorpe instead. I'd be a bit concerned if I was the Plymouth Argyle Board that a southern based footballer would choose to live in Scunthorpe rather than my club. Is Adams reputation really thaaat bad.

• Plymouth is a complete outpost though.

I don't know where he lives, but on as good a guess as anything, say Reading, where his main spell was, it'd actually be closer to Scunthorpe than Plymouth by 10miles!

• Tell me about it.

I can tell you from experience that Plymouth and its surroundings are a hell of a lot nicer than Scunny.

• @DevC Says who you? Nothing wrong with North Lincolnshire

• Most things I say from my experience are said by me. m3g.

Have spent a fair bit of time in both and too much especially in Scunny. I know which one I'd choose.

• My wife's family come from Lincolnshire and there are some very nice towns/villages in the county so I can see the attraction.

• Scunthorpe is nicer now than it was and a lot of the surrounding villages are very nice - somewhere like Epworth (home of Methodism), or Haxey would be great places to live.

• Outside of Scunthorpe’s limited sprawl there are a some very pleasant and characterful villages (where a number of Scunthorpe footballers live).

It does have to be said that the north Lincolnshire countryside isn’t as interesting as south Devon though. Unless you like wind turbines. A lot

• @DevC Your opinion only. How long did you live in Watford? Are you on the run?

• It's almost like most places have good and bad areas....

• I am not sure that applies to Luton!

• Stoppage time winner from Amadi-Holloway last night as Oldham continue their recent form. Not sure how much game time he gets at Oldham but seem to remember he spent a lot of time on the bench under the previous manager.

• How many goals is that now since he left us? 4?

• AAH had the talent to be the one that got away for us and I genuinely thought that losing him would really frustrate us in the future. Since his departure he has had a stop start time at Oldham with few appearances and more injuries. They still seem to have a lot of hope for him and i have read reports that say along the lines of 'wait til Aaron is back then...' so maybe he will still fulfil his potential. Sadly the games he had against Plymouth in the play off semi's were his high water mark and were never replicated.

• Danny Rowe Scores for York City!

• Former loanee Nicky Walker (joined at the same time as Danny Rowe but never made an appearance) is playing for Shaw Lane against Mansfield.

• That one was a strange one, made the bench a lot, but never deemed worthy of even a minute or 2.
    When you think of some of the shocking players we've had at times, to not even be willing to risk him for a minute with a small squad at that time, is quite a statement.

• I ses Stewie Lewis was in the Maidstone team that defeated Cheltenham yesterday at Whaddon Road.
    But it go me thinking, im struggling to think of a player less suited to the techniques needed on a plastic pitch for the Stones home games, than Stewie.

• Paul Hayes Newport debut on hold until January.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41641234

• Wasn't Hayes a free agent? i'm not sure i understand the problem...

• What a nightmare for him. 2 months of training in wales at reduced wages (I assume from the news article) and no hope of a game.