Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• edited October 2017

I didn't know Morgan was his agent? Or do we now automatically throw everything that went wrong that season at his door?

Looking at his Wiki league record, on stats he had his best spell here.

• I see Junior Morias has ruptured his thigh and will be out for some time. Rotten luck at a time when his performances have been getting consistently good and garnering recognition.

• I've heard the same thing @robin. Apparently @malone hasn't but just isn't very good at saying that.

• Re Dean Morgan - I automatically sided with him during the 2013-14 season when he was receiving continual abuse pretty much every home game from one particular individual in the top tier of the Frank Adams. Came to a head in the home game against Hartlepool, when he scored and virtually the whole row turned round and gave him some back.

• Bad day for Pierre and Ingram, Northampton losing 5-0 at home!

• Makes that six. I’m sure he got a boost in the wallet but this is clearly not how he saw his big chance going.

• He must be regretting that move strange move to be honest.

• Ingram managed to save a pen in the display too

• I find it hard to picture a team with Pierre and Ingram shipping 6 goals without coming to the conclusion that either they were the only two Northampton players on the pitch, or there are members of that team actively sabotaging matches.

• Also a sending off for Alex Revel in the game - having watched the goals Pierre rather looked like he gave up.

• edited October 2017

Hopefully he won't be visiting Northampton's Tescos tonight!

• Just watching the very brief highlights the disinterested figure I saw bears little resemblance to the Pierre I remember.

• He’s spent a lot of time of the bench under JFH. I’m guessing Jimmy doesn’t rate him as highly as the previous manager did.

• edited October 2017

I suspect he will be on the bench next week as well.

• I don't take too much delight in his current situation, but instead wonder how excellent we'd be with him in the team now!

I wonder if he thinks it might have been a mistake moving, or maybe not at all. He got a 3 year deal out of it, so plenty of security, at presumably a good step up in wage.

• It’s an interesting one. When he was on top of his game - which he was for most of his time here - he looked odds on to be able to cut it at a much higher level.

How that equates to a player allegedly struggling to get in a team rooted to the bottom of league 1 I really can’t understand

• I am not sure we would be better with him in the team at the moment quite honestly. Would we really have got more points?

El-Abd was poor to begin with but is gradually improving in his defensive performances and in his captaincy role. We seem to be playing it out from the back more now, rather than hoofing it when Pierre was here. I have always thought that Stewart was the better all round player and it would have been a bigger loss if he left.

I hope Pierre is a sucess, but I think he needs a Stewart type alongside him which perhaps he hasn't got at Northampton.

• Yes, @mooneyman. I've gone from fearing the consequences of his departure to, like you, seeing a significant upside in terms of the way we play more confidently out from the back. As a bonus, I also agree that El Abd is finding himself. I thought he was note perfect today.

• Pierre’s defending when the play was coming onto him was exceptional. His decision making and positioning (I always thought) was not good enough for a higher level when forwards become smarter.
    Mike Williamson (one of the best centre halves we have ever had) never looked like he broke a sweat as he was nearly always in the right place. Similarly to then madjestic Matt Crossley. Pierre was a super athlete and needed to be.

• Pierre would still be our first choice centre back if he was here.

• @chris I totally agree and I’m not trying to rewrite history. Just my opinion that the level he aspires to play at maybe unattainable. Maybe finding a team where a coach who knows defence would help. JFH does not strike me as a defence minded manager.

• To save others the minor irritation of having to google, JFH is Jimmy Floyd Hasselfree. Something like that.

• edited October 2017

Hassles-building-rapidly I think it is.

I think we would have more points with Pierre. We had some early season nonsense in a couple of games. v Notts County they battered us in the air, and (was it the same game?) one goal farcically where under no pressure one of our guys smashed it against another. Didn't see much of that nonsense in Pierre's time.
    I take people's optimism on the better ability to play out though.

• AP did the job for us he was asked to do...and was not totally adverse to taking the ball out of defence. He'll come good I reckon. Looking at Northampton highlights the whole team look like a shambles. JFH did not cut it at QPR, and took Gary Rowett's team up, so perhaps he's not a great manager. Be interesting to find out what the Cobblers fans think of Ingram and AP, they cannot totally be blamed for every goal!

• That job being "defending excellently, and having most of us crapping ourselves if he was out for the odd game"

And I feel you ever so slightly undermine Jimmy's role at Burton! Gaining promotion, and then being on track for a second successive one before the QPR job came calling. You can't just lazily label that "Gary Rowett's team".
    QPR is a circus of a job as well, has been for years.

• @Malone - and hopefully Gaz recognises as much; imagine he wouldn't touch any vacancy there with a bargepole while the current regime is still in place.

• Let's hope the current regime stays in place for many years then. I have a feeling GA is averse to being referred to as Gaz.

• edited October 2017

I beg to differ @malone I can actually lazily do what I want even if that is undermining the management career of a well-loved former international, but you're right I suspect Holloway is the only (slightly nutty) ringmaster who can bring any semblance of normality to Loftus Road for the time being. I doubt Gareth will risk it for some time.
    It may be that JFH is NOT a very good manager though...

• edited October 2017

Time will tell on that. Some managers are good at one team, then fail to do it anywhere else, yet constantly get more bites at the cherry.

Moyes is a very high profile one.

• I'm working with a Northampton season ticket holder.......he said Pierre is just a massive waste of space!!! Said Ingram is quality though