Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• The correct measurement of yards in reference to a shot is one that I have never been sure of. In this case, I think @Steve_Peart was correct both times: Max was ≈8 yards perpendicularly from the goal line, but the ball probably travelled ≈15 yards diagonally before crossing the goal line.

I guess you can take your pick, depending on how amazing or ordinary you wish the shot to sound.

• Is anyone watching the Swansea v Newcastle game today? So sad that Alfie Mawson has to resort to cheating to try and win a penalty. I expect we will get the blame for teaching him the dark arts!

• Well I'm watching but didn't see that! One of The Newcastle players dived in the box when Mawson challenged. I watched Dom four minutes in so maybe that was when the Mawson incident occurred?

• @mooneyman the same Alfie Mawson who stayed on his feet after being high-booted, this saving the Toon player from getting a red card? Cheating bastard.

• @Wendoverman - It was a high boot but the contact was very minimal compared with the contact the City goalkeeper suffered. Should still have been a red though for a reckless challenge.

The point I was trying to make was that we can't hammer diving Danny and then on the other hand say a blatant dive by Mawson is acceptable. All cheating should be punished.

• @mooneyman shall we blame Paul Clement and draw a veil over it...while getting ready to roundly boo DDH? (I think if Alfie had gone down in a (whisper it) O'Nien stylee it would have been a red.)

• While on the subject of O9, apparently, according to the estimable @bluntphil on Saturday, Luke is the most fouled player in League 2 this season. And not a dive amongst them, I'm sure.

• edited September 2017

@Wig_and_Pen I could be wrong, but apart from a bit of ankle biting, I suspect part of his game is also buzzing around the earhole of a player until they lamp him...

• Going into Saturday's game, Luke was indeed the most fouled player in L2 (15), one ahead of former Chairboy, Lee Angol. Interestingly, Lee had also committed the most fouls in L2 (18), so he will be one to keep an eye on tomorrow.

Another stat of note is that Akinfenwa had attempted the most amount of shots in L2 (21).

Source: OPTA

• I like a lot of what Luke does on the pitch but he's the cheat's cheat.

• @arnos_grove every team need needs a mouthy little oik who can play a bit. And we've got a good one!

• Is there a stat for which league 2 player has spent most time on the turf this season?

O'Nien surely already has an unassailable lead

• It would also be interesting if there's a round-up of GPS stats from those teams who use them - I'm guessing among Luke's other accomplishments is a standing fairly high up the table of total distance covered.

@eric_plant you need to remember the amount of item Paris sits down and looks sorry for himself. It adds up.

• I shouldn't be but I find myself impressed by Luke's understanding of how to use his body to win free kicks. Undesirable though it is in spirit, I admire how he has applied himself and learnt the tricks of the trade at a relatively young age. That, along with his apparently genuine enthusiasm - more the latter than the former, in truth - makes him one of my favourite players, despite his comparative lack of flair.

• One of the compelling sub plots to Saturday's game at Newport was O'Nien vs Labadie in midfield. Pretty much from the whistle, young Luke was a major irritant to the County skipper who spent most of the time fouling O'Nien and getting increasingly frustrated. I counted five fouls against Labadie before an over exuberant lunge saw him subbed off for a groin injury. Apart from an Exiles purple patch at the start of the second half, WW bossed the midfield for the rest of the game and the loss of Labadie, in a footballing sense, contributed to that hugely in my opinion, and according to the opposition view, some of their fans too.

For those who bemoan Luke's perceived lack of flair, the 35 yard first time volley was a wonderful bit of skill which suggests there is plenty more to come from him.

• I don't think I've ever seen anyone criticise Luke's ability as a footballer, certainly not a lack of flair

• I think that what winds up opposition players so much with Luke as much as the ankle biting & sledging is that he does it all with a big grin. This only adds to my enjoyment of watching him play!

• To be clear, I love watching him on the pitch. Just wish he'd reign in all the rolling about. But I guess that's an issue with Gareth's instructions rather than Luke himself.

• Reign in Mansfield this evening!

• It is always entertaining to watch LON causing bother and breaking things up in the midfield.

• To be clear, I was bemoaning nothing about Luke. He'll do for me.

• I'm going to bemoan the fact that this pinned ex-player thread has, unless there is some news about Luke that I have not heard yet, become a discussion about a current player.

• I thought richie said he's been transferred to Leyton Orient but he's allowed to keep his tomato shirt to wear unless there is a clash.

• Bringing things back to ex players, Pittman's just scored again for Torquay, Yennaris for Brentford and, while not exactly one our own ex's, good to see our chum Colin Daniel put one past the West Country Whingers tonight.

• Banton on target for Woking

• Scott McGleish has turned up at Chesham United came on as a 2nd half sub and scored in a 2-0 win against Dunstable.

• I always liked McGleish...it was a pity Taylor would hardly ever play him in a two with Harrold. Those two would have been a handful.

• McGleish behaved disgracefully prior to his departure. Tainted his entire Wycombe career for me

• @eric_plant True, but I think that was largely due to not being used...while Harrold and Zebroski were...(if memory serves)