Skip to content

Not Football

Comments

• edited November 2023

Well - an unelected PM and an unelected Foreign Secretary to speak for us all.

Still lots of fun on the Mail Online comments section just now - almost as much fun as the Derby forum.

• Much as I despise the Tories (sorry, Bargepole) the fact you can have a BA in hospitality management and end up being Foreign and Home Secretary shows they are open to anyone.

• edited November 2023

I think the post-Brexit, post (Hopefully) Trump, post Bozzer Tories are open to anyone from any background who lacks empathy, has no real grasp of good governance, willing to ignore any facts that they do agree with, willing to say anything to stir up division whilst keen on getting their paws on expenses, the odd reality show and GB News contracts. I think governing the country for the majority of the population is well beyond their capabilities. It was only a bit of cake you know...

(Other opinions are available...for now.)

• So the uninspiring empty suit who told the Scots they should stay in the Union to avoid being frozen out of Europe and called the EU Referendum that dragged us all out of Europe and gave rise to ****pigs, morons and shopping trolley politics is now a Lord and our Foreign Secretary.

A spotlight on both the Honours system and the state of our politics if it was needed.

• I thought they were the party of change? I can’t keep up.

• The state of politics today can be traced back to 2015, when Cameron won the election narrowly, and was able to form a Government without going into coalition with the Lib Dems. Farage's UKIP party had polled 12.6% of the vote, although that only translated into 1 seat, due to the first past the post system.

Cameron perceived UKIP as a credible threat to the Tory vote, and sought to put the matter to bed with the 2016 EU Referendum, which he and everyone else in Westminster thought would result in a Remain win by about 55-45%. But, after the EU Summit in Feb 2016, when he failed to get most of the concessions he was asking for, he made a fatal mistake by nailing his colours to the Remain mast, instead of adopting a neutral stance, and promising to implement the result of the vote whatever the outcome. This left him with no choice but to make a humiliating resignation speech the next morning.

This left a vacuum eventually filled by Theresa May, who was as hopeless a PM as she was a Home Secretary; followed by Johnson, popular initially until his misdeeds caught up with him; then the calamitous disaster that was Liz Truss; and now Sunak, trying and failing to fit square pegs into round holes.

The fact that the best they can now do is bring back Lord Cameron as Foreign Secretary shows how desperate and broken the Tory party is, and they need to reset with a period in opposition, and a new leader who will take them back to traditional 'one nation' conservative values, banishing Cruella and her right wing cronies to the political wilderness.

• Any other political atheists on here .

• Not following politics is a political choice.

• Fuck the Tories

• My other half shouted up the stairs earlier that Esther McVey had been made a commonsense tsar leading the government’s anti-woke agenda.

I genuinely thought she was joking.

Truly we have travelled beyond the parameters of satire. This lot makes Brass Eye look restrained.

I’d love it if whoever keeps thumbing down any criticism of the tories would just explain what they thought was going well?

• Braverman will be the next leader. Which is great as they will be unelectable.

You only win elections by appealing to the centre ground.

• Lol, you weren't actually joking.

Good to see them returning to central principles today as recommended above, re-employment of useless posh boys who've already been caught with their hands in the tills.

• edited November 2023

I'm surprised the Tories entertain the term 'tsar' given its associations with an historically communist country...

• edited November 2023

Cameron was caught with more than his hand in not a till 🐽

• I follow politics I just don’t believe the puppet show.

• Esther has as much chance of combating wokeness as my cat has of replacing a combi boiler.

• If your cat turns out to be any good at replacing boilers, could you ask it to send me a quote please?. I feel I could trust it more than some of the plumbers who've quoted me so far.

• When he realizes that cats are Libertarians he'll have it put down.

• Exactly. Its the year 2023, why doesn't everyone agree with you 🤣

• Ha, I just find it mildly concerning that so many people apparently still intend to vote that way. I'd have the tiniest smidgen of respect if they, as @arnos_grove has already alluded to, presented their view on what they think this government has done so well.

• I can understand people voting for a well explained vision or plan (even if I don't agree with it or think it's rubbish) what I do not understand is voting for some 'character' because their whole campaign seems to be that they are going to kick the arses of people (the EU, celebrities, refugees, the homeless) they think you are scared of or are going to nick your stuff or say things you don't like and the only thing stopping them is some shadowy cabal of experts who know things.

I've heard that Farage's jokewashing on Celebrity is aimed towards getting a safe Tory seat for the 'man of the people' (After all he's a jolly millionaire who likes a fag, a beer, a kangeroo's testicle and making speeches to appalling right-wing groups across the world.)

• edited November 2023

I would guess....

1) Gay marriage

2) Brexit (getting it done regardless of what people think about it)

3) Keeping the poor poor.

And that's it.

Though I suppose Tories are happy with

4) Keeping everybody else away from power.

• Without wanting to add too much nuance to the 'debate', I consider myself to be a Tory. But I wouldn't consider voting for them at the next election based on what I consider being the right-wing hijacking of the party and the absolutely shambolic leadership of the last 8 years

Should I go and get f*cked?

• Lightly spanked perhaps @Rasputin ?

• I remember the last general election with a few Corbyn echo chamber types (me included) getting excited about another hung parliament or, perhaps, an outright win.

When I look back, I recall office conversations with people who tend to offer their political opinions possibly once every other year. Pretty much all of them were convinced he was a wrong ‘un who’d destroy life as we know it. ‘Loves the IRA, hates our troops’ would sum it up. It didn’t much matter if I thought they’d been conned - that was what they thought and that’s how they voted.

Right now, the very opposite is being uttered by that same ‘less engaged’ group. ‘There’s something wrong them’, ‘Absolute clowns’ etc. The lockdown shenanigans are still remembered, despite what the likes of Rees-Mogg will have you believe.

Pretty much everyone who loses a GE forgets that it’s not about playing to your most fervent / rabid fans. In this cycle, that’s where the Conservatives are.

I don’t know many tories (it’s a thing people tend to keep quiet) but the ones I do won’t be voting for Rishi’s mob next time. Barring some huge unseen event, they’ll get wiped out next year.

• To be fair, Corbyn is a wrong 'un. Far be it from me to (almost) side with Piers Morgan, but this is utterly embarrassing: https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1724242234730828250

• No idea.

I'm a totally apolitical type happy to hear the exceptional wisdom and well thought out views on life offered by the gasroom.