Skip to content

Not Football

Comments

• edited November 2023

Will be giving it a few weeks to renew Apple+ so I can binge in my 'trial month'!

Fargo excellent...also looking forward to the new season of True Detective.

• Gary Oldman continues to have the time of his life.

• So sad that Shane MacGowan has passed. I am sure everyone will latch onto Fairytale of New York as his legacy but if you ever saw a Pogues gig you would know that they were up there as one of the best.

• Very sad loss. Surely if you can actually remember being at a Pogues gig...you weren't really there.😉

(Rum. Sodomy and the Lash...great title, great album!)

• A Pogues gig was like an exhausting fight that lasted over 3 hours. I saw them in big and small venues and their energy was identical which in a big venue was normally impossible. Musicians who attracted other musicians to just come on and do their bit, flawless madness. I remember one gig where it looked like Live Aid there were so many others on stage. This kind of thing just doesn't happen any more.

• Must have seen The Pogues a dozen times or more back in the 80s - always a riotous, celebratory occasion. I've always wanted Sally MacLennane played at my funeral, though Haunted, from the Sid and Nancy soundtrack and sung by Cait O'Riordan, is one of his greatest songs. RIP Shane.

• In the Don Letts film The Punk Rock Movie, a pre-fame Shane MacGowan can be seen in the audience of a gig at the Roxy basically inventing pogoing. A cultural megastar in so many ways.

• From the BFP

"The White Horse pub on West Wycombe Road will hold its last-ever band night this weekend before High Wycombe's only lap dancing venue shuts its doors for good in December."

• It did used to be pretty riotous in the late 80s, but mostly good natured. I think it was just the number of bikers there that gave it a reputation.

• Saw then in 1985 when they were still a little bit scary. A real force. A long while away from being turned into Slade by the modern media.

• This from that news goldmine Popbitch...

There's a Henry Kissinger story that has passed into legend about how he once attended a Grimsby Town FC match as the guest of (then-)foreign secretary Anthony Crosland and became a life-long fan of the team. According to Crosland's wife, the story isn't true – but the truth is arguably funnier.

Kissinger did travel up Grimsby way at the request of Crosland in April '76, but he did not go gladly. In fact, Kissinger was supposedly pretty miffed to be called to a breakfast meeting at RAF Waddingham, 100+ miles outside of London. But he did so as a favour to Crosland who insisted he had to stay close to Grimsby for a very important "constituency appointment".

It wasn't until later that Kissinger discovered Crosland's crucial "appointment" was Grimsby Town v Gillingham. And was even more pissed off as a result.

Grimsby possibly lucky not to be carpet bombed and sprayed with Agent Orange.

• Last time I went to Grimsby (town not football ground) it looked pretty much like they had done.

• Sixty odd years ago, I was on detached duty (whilst in the meteorological office, not the Met Police, thank you very much !) at RAF Waddington. RAF Waddingham is fictitious, whatever the status generally of the PopBitch article.

• And RAF Waddington is 130 miles from London.

• Not sure their fact checking skills are that honed @micra (they are not GB News after all) and I suppose that detail was not the main gist of the story.

• To be honest I ballsed it up, anyway. It was RAF Wattisham in Suffolk where I spent a week or two. I was painfully shy and spent most of my off-duty time in my room, reading and eating whole packets of biscuits.

Happy days.

• Living the dream.

• From a quick Google, they likely meant to refer to the former RAF Grimsby which was also known as Waltham.

• Does you mum quietly put a plate of biscuits on your bedside table while you are (redacted)

• Surely you could have afforded a book to read, rather than a packet of biscuits, @micra?

• The I'm a Celeb format is obviously on its last legs as 'celebs' have sussed that they only have to do 72 hours to get their contracted cash and are obviously being told not to 'be themselves' as it's upsetting twitter.

• It was always shaky, it's mostly about laughing at celebs with horrible challenges and a bit of added discomfort and starvation.

Its always been the worst option your agent could get you in that genre, teaches you nothing, no comfort, zero fun, infamy not fame and guaranteed social media abuse.

Recent "celeb" choices show the desperation has started. Imagine being that much of an arse that you need to go on that for people to feel sorry for you.

The recent choices and continued ignoring of animal cruelty set it now for a certain type of audience. Think those who go in are either desperate or offered huge money but somehow managed to not quite understand what it entails until they get there.

• It used to be laughing at minor celebs ( which can be entertaining) now it's politicians trying to jokewash their misdeeds. How long before 'I know he ordered the carpet bombing of civilian areas, but if he can cook ostrich shanks...'

• Anyone watching Ronnie in the UK final?

• Yup. He’s not flowing well but has enough in the tank to get it over the line.

• Even when he’s not fully in the zone he’s still so great to watch. More art than sport.

• They just said if he wins today he’ll have the record for youngest winner and oldest winner! That’s some measure of longevity.