Skip to content

Not Football

Comments

• I've been thinking about it this morning and i honestly don't know. Perhaps it's like a fumbled punt that can be recovered by the kicking team but not advanced.

• My American friend posted me this:

Yes there are circumstances where the kicking team can recover the ball on a blocked kick. If the ball is blocked and is behind the line of scrimmage it is a live ball and can be recovered by either team. If the ball goes beyond the line of scrimmage then it can only be recovered by the kicking team if a defensive player touches it first.

The most famous example might be the Cowboys vs Dolphins Thanksgiving Day game in 1993. The football field was covered in snow and it was a low scoring game. Dallas was ahead 14–13 when Miami drove down the field with time running out. Miami attempted a 41 yard field goal and the cowboys blocked it. The ball goes past the line of scrimmage and is spinning in the snow. All Dallas has to do is not touch the ball and they win the game. Players from both teams are around the ball watching it spin when Dallas’ Leon Lett comes sliding in and tries to get the ball. Once he touches it there is a mad scramble and the Dolphins recover the ball at the 9-yard line with three seconds left. Dolphins make the 19-yard field goal as time expires and win the game.

As a side note: Although this game took Miami to 9–2, it was their last win of the season. They finished 9–7 and missed the playoffs. One of the biggest season collapses in history.

• I was lucky enough to study here on exchange from the UK and met my wife at UT Austin. 50,000 students; a daily student newspaper; our own police force - the scale of everything was incredible. The sports facilities were out of this world…Olympic sized swimming and diving pools, incredible tennis facilities and a 100,000 seat football stadium!

• Health warning - The pests are at it again. Some mug at Sevenoaks council needs to read some history before pissing away taxes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67193921

• I thought they went bust?

• So they owed 95 million when they went bust. But now they just want to move to a different county and want a brand new shiny stadium to come with it.... absolute fucking tossers, and I'm being very kind and polite with that

• Makes my blood boil tbh, convergence of asking hard up local authorities to pay for the clubs mistakes based on a "once in a lifetime opportunity" to get involved with people with a terrible track record, and entirely dropping another set of fans that only picked them up in the last few years because there's money to be had elsewhere, absolute scumbags.

• This is all pie in the sky fantasy stuff, never going to happen.

The RFU have already said that if Wasps are to be resurrected, they must start again at the lowest level in the pyramid, which if based in Sevenoaks will be Kent Counties Division 5, where they would play such luminaries as Greenwich, and Canterbury's 3rd XV.

If they want to restart at Championship level, they would have to repay debts out of the £95m owed to rugby creditors. They have nowhere near the funds to do that, never mind building a multi-million £ stadium, and recruiting a complete squad of quality players and coaching staff.

Wasps as a professional top level club are gone. The ship has sailed, the fat lady has sung, and like Monty Python's parrot, they are pushing up the daisies.

• Much as I want to believe you (and don’t doubt your arguments) I would happily bet the price of a pint that Wasps will be a top-two level Rugby Union club before this decade is out.

• I'll certainly take that bet @bookertease , and look forward to enjoying a free pint at Adams Park some time in late December 2029, when of course I will travel to the ground via the shiny new access road, in our fifth consecutive season in the Championship 🍺

• edited October 2023

Will their rise up the Rugby Union World be similar to that of AFC Wimbledon after they reformed?

• Possible, but unlikely in my opinion.

Premiership rugby clubs, like most PL football clubs, run at a loss each season, and rely on wealthy owners to underwrite the debts. The wage levels and finances are similar to League One football clubs, and unless Wasps can find a benefactor who doesn't mind chucking a few £ million down the drain, I can't see anything like the AFC Wimbledon story being repeated.

• I will happily buy you one in the unlikely event I’m wrong. Although my preferred method of travel will of course be by the very recently installed Chairboys chairlift.

• Worth remembering though that thanks to Liz Truss, the current price of a pint will only buy you a quick glance at a pint from a distance of not less than twenty feet by the end of the decade.

• The UK is a complete political mess. The US is debatably worse.

https://nypost.com/2021/09/09/trump-says-hed-knockout-biden-in-seconds-if-they-met-in-ring/

77 year old racist, sexist and homophobic ex-president with plastic surgery, a hair transplant and copious amounts of fake tan suggests he can beat the incumbent 80 year old president 'who has a fake nose' in a fight. That's a comment made to try and secure votes in the upcoming election. And the audience cheered and clapped his remarks.

• I mean, it would be a more entertaining fight than Sunak vs Starmer

• Poor old Rishi finds it hard to land a punch above the belt. Literally and metaphorically.

• Yep, 300 million people and somehow the best we can do is Trump and Biden. Quite an indictment of…something.

• edited November 2023

Nigel Farage has been signed for the new season of Im a celebrity get me out of here. That’s utterly disgraceful. ITV taking the piss recently. Allowing Phil & Holly to continue for so long. Allowing Love Island to continue operating despite the suicide rate. Allowing a disgraced racist politician such significant airtime. Truly disgusting corporation.

• ITV? ITV???? Nobody watches ITV anymore, Granddad. All the cool kids are twerking on TikTok.

• Trump, Beery Nigel and Cruella Braverman believe they speak for the majority of the people in their country and they've certainly made plenty of money off the back of it...but God Almighty, who wants to live in the world they would like to create?

The Celebrity thing is just Farage, yet again, laughing at the idiots who believe his schtick and vote for him.

• To be fair @frequentstander ITV is a commercial operation with an eye on the lowest common denominator and they need publicity to boost ratings to attract advertising, thus lots of true crime documentaries, Big Brother (which even C5 had decided was too grim to broadcast) leading into I'm a Celebrity which is quickly degenerating from an amusing low key s***show of faded sportspeople, girls with very little clothing, forgotten presenters (radio and TV), chefs dropped for Jamie Oliver, and soap stars looking for a bung before they hit panto season, into a highly publicised show cast for maximum controversy hence your Dorries, Hancocks and Farages showing the 'human side' of right wing failure and generally succeeding. ITV know no-one will have the balls to walk out, so will have to grin and bear the appalling frog-faced loon ('I hate him but in here...he's just one of the group...') people will watch, ring a premium phone line to vote and enter their very lucrative phone competitions...and for Beery Nige, who has always failed to win a seat anywhere that did not require a low turn out and (EU style) proportional representation...those people vote!

• It's worse than that we'll have all the other Z listers pretending they didn't know who he was , saying they'll take him as they find him and not listen to outside pressure, or it's somehow restricting trade and a freedom of speech issue not to round up the worst of society and make them into celebs. Surprised he's not on Talksport.

The Daily fail are quite rightly an easy target but today's front page and this idea they are screaming out that Cruella talks for all of us and must be protected ...and that trumps her obvious incompetence, disloyalty, shameless self promotion, lack of care in her work and for humanity is remarkable.

• edited November 2023

I flick around @floyd I'm like Gogglebox, me.

• Nigel and Grace Dent are the only two people I’ve actually heard of.

Best thing to do with Nigel is to ignore him. The grifter’s grifter. Even Captain Tom’s extended family can’t hold a candle to him.