Skip to content

Realistic Signing(s) for the Summer

Comments

• edited September 2022

Pompey are owned by a billionaire. He may not be bankrolling them, but I find it extremely hard to believe they're operating on a similar budget to Wycombe's

• @Bacon_Sandwich I am confused, do you want a community club (natural historic level probably Nat League South) or a club pushing for Championship level?

Cant have it both ways.

Rob has always said underlying financial sustainability the priority, valedictory proclamations of ‘automatics / play offs’ may distract from this principle but, as those who have worked in US corporate environments will have experienced, you take such ‘positivity’ with a pinch of salt.

• Quite a bleak depressing read from Mr Bacon there. Wow, wish I'd skipped that.

Roll on the game today eh. Looking forward to it.

• I would say Wanderers TV specifically is excellent value for money as a Vipienne resident, I used to pay on a game by game basis to watch the games but got the general package this time round, which is a fair bit cheaper.

• edited September 2022

Think there is a misconception about lower league owner investment levels above. The Couhigs have said they are prepared to take a bit of a loss over time if needed and I'd imagine this is more related to a gamble over what a sale price might be in 5/10/15 years time. There's a variety of rules in place to suggest clubs don't lose money to pay for short term player deals. While sales are up on tickets and merchandise I believe 5/6000 people versus 30000 is always going to provide less income. We did make some money in the championship but it won't last forever and any capital expense on the stadium (that the Couhigs don't own) needs to be coming from there or profits or the trust will need to pay 25% of it

You only have to look at any of the failed clubs at our level to see that owners often don't actually put their own money in other than underwriting losses and often this is debt owed to the owners to be paid back on sale. This has the double effect of making a sale more difficult and giving bad owners who need ousting more control over assets.

• I thought I paid the same price for Wanderers TV as for ifollow, or is my memory completely shot.

I keep reading that the squad is so much weaker than last season. How so? Last season Wycombe were permitted 23 senior players, this season it is 22.The vast majority of the squad are the same players. Of the senior squad members we lost Bayo, Stewart, and Stockdale, being replaced by Mawson and Stryjek. Some players that last season could be regarded as Development squad, will now, because of age have to be classed as senior players. Factor in Freeman who was unavailable for nearly all of last season, Mehmeti and Forino who are better than they were last year, and other young players coming on. So other than players missing through injury, how is the squad so much weaker than last year?

• It's been done to death, so I won't overdo a response.

But clearly it's looking much better now we do have Mawson and a keeper in. Remember we spent a lot of the first month without either.

That was when it looked unarguably weaker, with the Bayo loss too.

In terms of the players we kept on this year, naturally they won't all have stayed the same level. Hopefully there's a net improvement level.

• We did well to keep many of our players and getting Vokes to sign a new contract has to be seen as a top signing, regarding possible lack of quality of any free agents out there wasn't Akinfenwe one of those

• It does once he's back on the pitch and playing as well as last year!

• With everyone fit I think I would agree that it’s a squad of similar strength to last year (with the obvious exception of the big Bayo shaped hole).

Too early to compare Stryjek with Stockdale (but on paper probably slightly weaker but with scope for significant improvement). Mawson as a footballer with the ball at feet is a definite upgrade on Stewart but defensively probably similar.

I have said before (so sorry to repeat) but losing Bayo (and I think we were right not to look for a Bayo-lite replacement) will I think be the main issue for us to overcome this season (and probably next).

his ability to change the dynamics of a game in the last 20 minutes off the bench was, I believe, a big factor in our numerous comebacks.

To counter that we just need to make sure we are 3-0 up after 70 minutes every game…

• Mawson's a step up in every way isn't he? No disrespect to Stewart, but you can now see what Rob Couhig meant when he said something along the lines of "He won't even get in the team next season" when Stewart left!

Agreed on the keeper. Very early days, but room to grow.

• Agreed. Mawson is an upgrade on Stewart in every department.

• I am happy with the squad we have but the injuries have caused us a lot of problems in the first few games.

I am delighted we have not paid significant transfer fees for anyone in this window. We shouldn’t ever pay a significant fee and take a gamble we will sell the player after a year/18 months. A gamble on a small fee and wages is more in line with our turnover.

The Couhigs are positive people and seem to fit well with the club and manager, who will also not overspend or jump for a player just to fill a gap. Max I think is probably the exception to the rule after we were stitched up by Manchester United at the 11th hour.

We’ve never had it so good on the pitch and off. A few things could be better but we are now deemed a Top 10 League One team who others 3 or 4 times our size deem a tough fixture.

Happy Days indeed.

• What era is BaconSandwich living in? He bemoans the lack of a ‘community club’ with cheaper prices for everything and in the next breath complains that we aren’t signing enough players to make a push for promotion to the Championship. If he seriously believes that Portsmouth with home crowds of 17,000 are on a par financially with Wycombe then his views are naïve in the extreme.

• edited September 2022

I have a question for those proclaiming that the loss of Bayo, end of season 21/22, is now such a serious issue and a black hole we'll struggle to overcome - just because he stayed for one more year of mostly cameo appearances.

If Bayo had retired end of season 20/21 when we signed Vokes (as his replacement), and had played the style we are now would you still think this was such a downgrade?

Personally I think not, we would be congratulating GA and Dobbo for a masterstroke in evolving the style of play so quickly.

Its been said by GA that Vokes was the replacement for Bayo, and our style of play would evolve as a result - why do we not believe him?

• utter tosh, Bayo is a huge loss both on and off the pitch, you do know he is our EFL highest ever top scorer ? huge lack of respect from some people.

• You of all people talking about a lack of respect is the most amusing thing I have read so far this season.

• edited September 2022

@twizz I think the issue is more about psychology than anything else.

Imagine playing centre half at our level for an hour or so against a player of Vokes ability and then seeing him disappear only to be faced with the entirely different set of problems that Bayo would give you.

And, equally important I believe, imagine the preparation that the opposition would need to do to counter that prospect.

This is what I think we have lost. This season we will be an easier side to prepare to play against than we were when Bayo was in the picture (I believe).

The point about the evolution of our playing style is something I fully agree with you about and I’m fully supportive of how GA and co are going about it. I just think it may take a year or two and we need to accept that and be patient. Bayo was always going to be irreplaceable because of who he was and I’m more than happy that we haven’t gone for a similar type of player.

But saying we haven’t lost anything with his retirement is I think a little bit unfair. I saw a fair few of his “cameos” last season and you could almost feel the apprehension in their defenders when he came on. Even at Wembley. When he came on - and before they got the second - it was the first time all game that their defence looked in any way troubled.

• I really feel sorry for you sir, I have always had respect only because I don't agree it does not mean I have no respect, maybe you need to go back to school .

• I never said we hadn't lost anything by Bayo retiring @bookertease ,but I do have real problem with the concept that we didn't sign a replacement.

Not only is that a denial of the truth, but it's disrespectful of GA, Dobbo, Pete and Rob (who've all said that Vokes was the replacent for Bayo).

As for the psychology of defenders facing a 40+ Bayo for 10minutes at the end of a game? That would have been disrespectful of his former self to expect him to have stayed.

Teams evolve, we have. Let's enjoy it.

• I agree that Bayo (even in the cameo times) was great for causing chaos in the box, I don’t care how good your defenders are, he was a massive pain in the arse and incredibly awkward to mark - and even if he was marked, that would divert defenders from other players, especially if Bayo was double marked, which was not uncommon.

That said I think Hanlan at his best can create havoc too, a good blend of pace and physicality, although perhaps not the same level of threat from set pieces. But yeah, who knows how long he’ll be out for.

• You don’t know the meaning of respect. You have been disrespectful to our owner, manager and many of the people who post on here. You are indeed entitled to disagree with other posters, but you lose credibility when you insult people and constantly whinge about the club you are supposed to be supporting. You also bear a remarkable resemblance in your writing style to someone I believe has been banned from the Gasroom.

• Sorry that wasn’t my intent to say that we haven’t replaced him. In the context of evolving the football team we clearly have and I’m more than happy about the way GA and co have done so.

in the same way we haven’t ‘replaced’ him - because how could we? He was a big part of everything about this club over the past few years.

and no. I’m not for one moment suggesting that he should have stayed.

But I’m sure. Once or twice this season, there will be games where you think to yourself I wish we still had Bayo to bring on…

(it took until 1983 that I finally accepted that bringing Bodger on was no longer a viable option…)

• If you can't ignore someone because you hit your limit you can go into profile settings and remove blocks against users who have left or been deleted, if you wanted to do that for any reason

• I have not been barred, because I question to manager and owner does. ot make me disrespectful

• Thanks for the advice but that sounds a little challenging for someone with my limited IT skills. Perhaps I need to go back to school!

• In that case we're still lacking a replacement for Uche. 🤷

• Hang on, are you accusing other people of a lack of respect?

You truly cannot make it up 🤣

• The irony police are well on their way to his gaff don't worry,