Skip to content

Play-off final ticket details

Comments

• I reckon a couple of clubs got close, just based on their home crowd when they played us. In 1999 Man City lost at home to us 2-1 in front of 29,000+ (roughly similar to the att. at the SoL in Aug). And there were 25,000 on an icy January afternoon to see us draw 1-1 at Leeds. But a consistent 30k average over 4 seasons shows unquestionable loyalty. I guess that’s because the results in L1 have generally been favourable, although even at the bottom of the championship the average was in the high 20ks.

• Surely you’re not driving to Adams Park from Cheltenham @Cheltenham22. That’s up there with the best efforts.

• Great effort from both clubs really! Remarkable numbers from Sunderland, considering the distance and costs involved. For us, whilst we've not quite hit the numbers of 91 and 93 (and 57 if we want to go back that far!), those were for cup finals, where the build up and time to organise is much greater. It's a significant increase on what we took against Southend however and a clear indication that the club is more engaged with the town than it has been for many years.

As for the match itself, well it's gonna be tight isn't it! I so wish we had Mehmeti and Hanlan fully fit and available, as they're 2 players who give us options to change how we play. Even so, it's a strong and experienced team we have out there and we have every chance.

• @hawaythelads said:

@username123 said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

@username123 said:
    These people with no ticket history and moaning have no idea how thankful they should be that nearly 47,000 tickets are available.

Forest tickets for their final are going at 1 per person and only 37,000 available and have a higher average home attendance than Sunderland.

Forest average home attendance 27,216

Sunderland average home attendance 31,426.

Just thought I would add some facts to your post.

Fair enough but I think you see the point? Plus if Forest had a bigger stadium (they are trying to have capacity increased) I think the numbers would be slightly different do you not? Also I expect your average was significantly lower before the play off first leg, no?

Average without that game is 30,847 I believe, so brings it down a little bit, we've averaged over 30,000 every season in L1, none of the other "big clubs" who've dropped into L1 managed that once. I think Forest's was something like 20k when they fell down to this level.

Point taken, as I’ve already said. Go back to my original post, the key thing I’m getting at is appreciating the fortune of getting the extra tickets when some clubs are literally getting 1 ticket each and that’s it, for ALL phases.

I want more fans, adds more pressure to the Sunderland players so that’s perfect from my view. The 1st 10mins at your place you were already on your players backs (fair enough 3 mins later you were 2-0 up!!) so I can’t wait for 50,000 to get frustrated (hopefully!). I also remember our club giving a 2nd stand to Sunderland at our place, then damage being caused and some twat trying to climb on the scoreboard / edge of stadium in that corner. For this reason alone I understand the club won’t do that again in the future for Sunderland. Then we have actually agreed to more tickets on 2 occasions now, so I’m proud of us as a club. So to go back to my point, appreciate the level of support you have been allowed to take ffs. I can’t remember seeing one post about that.

• @Catinho said:

@bookertease said:
    I am actually really impressed by the level of interest this has generated (both with Sunderland and ourselves).

However you look at it, a demand of around 50,000 considering the distance involved and associated costs is pretty good. Sunderland are a well-supported, ‘big’ club (who have deservedly ended up where they currently are) and it should be a cracking atmosphere before the game.

We’ve also done well. 20000 was the upper end of my expectations so to go beyond that is really pleasing.

I actually think the ticketing has been managed pretty well. I understand some Sunderland fans frustrations who can’t get tickets, but logistically I can’t see any reasonable ways more seats could be released without eating into our unsold allocation - which is an unknown, and shrinking, figure.

On a more general point, I do wonder how much the 1500 kick off has contributed to the high attendance. I don’t know, but I would hazard a guess, that a 1730 start may have significantly affected sales.

I think you make some really good points here. I just don’t have much faith in Wembley to have even given extending allocations much thought when planning this event - indicated by the ridiculous fact that we are on the wrong side of the stadium in terms of trains and transport… anyone concerned with “supporter safety” (the main reason given by the EFL for not extending our allocation) would have put you in the West simply to avoid the massive contra flow of people that will occur pre and post match on Saturday.

On top of this rather than extending our top tier allocation round to 516 we have been given middle tier seating above your fans with the empty tier above. It makes no sense. Rather than leaving the middle tier empty and giving us more tickets they’ve moved us closer to your fans.

As for your 20000 plus that’s amazing. The journey you’ve been on the last few years must have been an absolute joy to behold and the fact that people try to belittle Gareth Ainsworth’s achievements by sniping must drive you mad. To me he comes across as dead honest and positive - his quotes re: pressure in particular strike a chord and I can see how you would all run through a brick wall for him - that’s a pretty tough juggernaut to halt plus you have genuine quality. I’m crossing fingers that Mehmeti is not fit as him and McCleary’s creativity give me nightmares.

All the best for Saturday - hope we all have a safe and largely enjoyable day!!

Great post. Best of luck next season, whatever the result on Saturday.

• @username123 said:

@hawaythelads said:

@username123 said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

@username123 said:
    These people with no ticket history and moaning have no idea how thankful they should be that nearly 47,000 tickets are available.

Forest tickets for their final are going at 1 per person and only 37,000 available and have a higher average home attendance than Sunderland.

Forest average home attendance 27,216

Sunderland average home attendance 31,426.

Just thought I would add some facts to your post.

Fair enough but I think you see the point? Plus if Forest had a bigger stadium (they are trying to have capacity increased) I think the numbers would be slightly different do you not? Also I expect your average was significantly lower before the play off first leg, no?

Average without that game is 30,847 I believe, so brings it down a little bit, we've averaged over 30,000 every season in L1, none of the other "big clubs" who've dropped into L1 managed that once. I think Forest's was something like 20k when they fell down to this level.

Point taken, as I’ve already said. Go back to my original post, the key thing I’m getting at is appreciating the fortune of getting the extra tickets when some clubs are literally getting 1 ticket each and that’s it, for ALL phases.

I want more fans, adds more pressure to the Sunderland players so that’s perfect from my view. The 1st 10mins at your place you were already on your players backs (fair enough 3 mins later you were 2-0 up!!) so I can’t wait for 50,000 to get frustrated (hopefully!). I also remember our club giving a 2nd stand to Sunderland at our place, then damage being caused and some twat trying to climb on the scoreboard / edge of stadium in that corner. For this reason alone I understand the club won’t do that again in the future for Sunderland. Then we have actually agreed to more tickets on 2 occasions now, so I’m proud of us as a club. So to go back to my point, appreciate the level of support you have been allowed to take ffs. I can’t remember seeing one post about that.

I will say, SAFC caused some of the problems by giving season card holders opportunity to buy 3, before people who had been to games this season. So a lot of genuine fans who couldn't get a season card holder to get them one, had to wait for phase 3, where about 500 tickets originally went on sale. Anyway, I'm even boring myself, hopefully be a good atmosphere from both sides, I can't see anything but unconditional support from us with it being a final, but I suppose if you are battering us we could turn. And hey, at least either way you won't have to deal with us next season!

• @hawaythelads does Barry from the Futureheads still have the Peacock?

• @Doob said:

@glasshalffull said:
    I see those dirty cheats from Wycombe finished 8th in the Fair Play table for League 1. Sunderland were 17th.

It's depressing how you seem to post stuf aimed to antagonise. Where in this thread has anyone accused us of being 'dirty'? You really need to grow up, this is infant school stuff

I will be 74 in August but I still have something called a sense of humour.

• @peterparrotface said:
    @hawaythelads does Barry from the Futureheads still have the Peacock?

My band at uni once supported the Futureheads at Mansfield Town Mill, in about 2005. They were thoroughly lovely blokes. No sign of a peacock though.

• @Monza said:

@oilysailor said:

@LX1 said:

@eric_plant said:
    I queued round the car park at Adams Park for cup games against both Peterborough and West Brom

My dad was in that West Brom queue to get one for me (think it was a Sunday wasn't it, think I was playing football). It was supposed to be one per person I believe. He said he got one then get walked back round and got another. Only ever Wycombe game he's ever been to.

Those were extraordinary times

One of the elite stampedes for tickets was Leicester (a) 2001. I seem to recall some people who faced little chance of getting one were saved when someone remembered a school in Amersham(?) had a load of free season tickets that were never used but were suddenly incredibly useful. Worthwhile trip too, Wycombe won 2-1.

Twas me Mr. Sailor. I like to think my altruism was granted karma in the form of Mr Essandoh. So may years ago!

I think that's the most open and shut case of karma in the modern game

• @glasshalffull There's an "up and coming" comic on the Wycombe's Wembley Year video that could give you a run for your money...!

• @micra said:
    Surely you’re not driving to Adams Park from Cheltenham @Cheltenham22. That’s up there with the best efforts.

Why would I drive to Adams Park, the match is at Wembley

• @Cheltenham22 said:

@micra said:
    Surely you’re not driving to Adams Park from Cheltenham @Cheltenham22. That’s up there with the best efforts.

I think he means for home games...

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Cheltenham22 said:

@micra said:

I think he means for home games...

Sorry I thought he was being sarcastic :)

• For me, after the last two years, a packed stadium will be great for a League One play-off final and if 'Little Wycombe' and their 20,000 fans come away with a victory that will be even greater. Whichever way you look at it and whoever wins...if the mainstream sports media were not obsessed with the Premier League...it is a great story. Big, famous, fanatically supported team heading back from the wastelands to it's rightful place...or plucky tinpot club punching above it's weight yet again. Of course even if it's 8-7 it will be a paragraph on the last page of the Premier League Last Day pull-out section just under the profile of Klopp or Guardiola and the article about the Champions League restructuring!

• @Cheltenham22 said:

@micra said:

With all the talk about people going to Adams Park today to get last minute tickets I mistakenly read your post as meaning you and your wife were planning to do exactly that. As most Gasroomers know, I am rarely up and about before 10 am (being an ancient night owl) - hence my stupid misunderstanding. I was still half asleep. I’ve even caught up with the fact that you’re a Cheltenham fan.

My apologies. I hope you and your wife will join in the post match celebrations. If the worst happens, you’ve at least got a chance to celebrate with your son!

• 300 or so lower tier tickets have just been made available. I would assume left over reserves from players families etc.

• So the blacked out ones then :neutral:

• My group has a single spare ticket in Block 111 due to someone now unable to attend, are we allowed to mention that on here?

• Wembley have giben me permission for my oversized flag and told me they'll 'support me in its deployment'. I'm expecting a group of Grenadier Guards on standby to hoist it up a flagpole.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Wembley have giben me permission for my oversized flag and told me they'll 'support me in its deployment'. I'm expecting a group of Grenadier Guards on standby to hoist it up a flagpole.

You might want to get in a little early, I know it won't be as flag heavy at England games, but for the Euros the hardest part was finding a free spot!

• @Username said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Wembley have giben me permission for my oversized flag and told me they'll 'support me in its deployment'. I'm expecting a group of Grenadier Guards on standby to hoist it up a flagpole.

You might want to get in a little early, I know it won't be as flag heavy at England games, but for the Euros the hardest part was finding a free spot!

Yeah, I was aiming to be in by 2 - although 109 shouldn't be too flag-heavy!

• A friend of my sons now can't attend the match. Antone know if I can "upgrade" his young adult ticket to a full adult ticket?

• @YorkExile said:

@peterparrotface said:
    @hawaythelads does Barry from the Futureheads still have the Peacock?

My band at uni once supported the Futureheads at Mansfield Town Mill, in about 2005. They were thoroughly lovely blokes. No sign of a peacock though.

Town Mill is no more, shame.

• 88 seats suddenly available in Block 113 behind the goal. A big gap right in the centre when it all looked sold.

• I'd imagine my son's Wycombe ticket is available now.

He'd probably give it away tbh.

How many have Wycombe sold?

• Does anyone know the final number of tickets that we have sold for the game? Am I right in thinking that the ticket sales get split evenly between the 2 clubs? If that's right, we have made a nice sum already!

• No one seems to know how many tickets Wycombe have sold.

I'd have thought the club would've announced it by now.

• Not quite right. 50% goes to the EFL and then the two clubs get 25% each, minus costs. Still will be a decent earner though - I'd imagine at least 500k. I'm sure I read we get a cut of all programme sales too.

Interestingly, in the Championship play off final, the clubs often sign an agreement before the match that says the loser keeps both clubs' share of the gate receipts, to minimise a bit the financial disparity between winning and losing. No idea if similar arrangements can be made in League One, or whether ourselves or Sunderland would sign up anyway.