Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• Sunderland goons challenge triggers that all off.
    Barely anything in it from Johnson who is hardly an intimidating character

• He does lean in with the head a bit but probably not too bad, not sure. This is great stuff btw

• @StrongestTeam said:
    He does lean in with the head a bit but probably not too bad, not sure. This is great stuff btw

Even better, it was actually after his first goal, so he followed that up by scoring twice more

• @Forest_Blue said:

@username123 said:

@Erroll_Sims said:
    Just watched Nottingham Forest v Arsenal, the latter were woeful (despite putting out a very young starting 11) complete lack of urgency, Forest deservedly through to play Leicester in the 4th Round

Davies, Brennan, Garner, Yates, Spence all equally as young and less experienced too. Constantly overlooked.

Sadly three of those five are on loan and are not Forest players. Ryan Yates and Brennan Johnson are both Forest Academy graduates and Johnson was superb against Arsenal. Wonder if we will ever get an academy back at Wycombe?

Not anytime soon I should think, based on what Rob said on that podcast the other week

• Milton Keynes are absolutely desperate for the legitimacy that a rivalry gets them. You see it every time they play us, and presumably Wimbledon. Why anyone pays them the blindest bit of attention is beyond me.

• I think that is usually described as a 'coming together' I suspect if that had been in the Prem someone would have been rolling about on the floor holding their face much earlier. I think like a lot of former Sunderland players he was sold for being crap and lower league.

• I cannot stand Chris Maguire, most antagonising player I can think of over the last 15 years. He was an absolute shite when we played for the first time at Sunderland a couple of seasons ago and was no better when featuring for Oxford. Always looking to kick off with someone - manager, fans or players.
    I wish Johnson had completely wiped him out when he celebrated in his face.

• @Commoner said:
    I cannot stand Chris Maguire, most antagonising player I can think of over the last 15 years. He was an absolute shite when we played for the first time at Sunderland a couple of seasons ago and was no better when featuring for Oxford. Always looking to kick off with someone - manager, fans or players.
    I wish Johnson had completely wiped him out when he celebrated in his face.

Also a fair suggestion from fans of both clubs that being so up for one game against former employers after two years of injuries and averageness doesn't reflect as well on him as he might think

• Interestingly, in his interview with the BBC he has literally come out and said "I'm a wind up merchant" but then goes on to say the fans should have an issue with him because he loved them and Sunderland!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59965143

• I suspect Uche has moved even further down the pecking order and I’d be really surprised if he’s still at Boro come the end of January.

• edited January 2022

I reckon he could go to Rotherham if Ladapo leaves (he's put in a transfer request)

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I reckon he could go to Rotherham if Ladapo leaves (he's put in a transfer request)

That’s what I was thinking too. Ladapo has a 12 month extension written into his contract though so perhaps Rotherham aren’t in any hurry to move him on.

• With Hanlon and Vokes doing well and taking a step forward in recent games, Bayo still being impactful and the likes of TJ and Ali about it does seem unlikely he'll be back here. Was a suggestion Boro are paying all of Baloguns high wages and would probably want a fair chunk of Uches.
    One more defender and midfielder seem a bit more likely if anyone comes in at all but we might be at our budget limit already.

• LWB is a must, I was bricking it when Obita went down last night

• Played really well didn't he, Obita?

In fact he's having quite a season. What a signing he's turning out to be

• @eric_plant said:
    Played really well didn't he, Obita?

Agree. Perhaps another who does not get enough coverage, but always turns up.
    At a push JJ could still do ( a very slow) job at LWB if needs be.

• I don't think that would be ideal!

• @eric_plant said:
    I don't think that would be ideal!

True...Grimmer or McCarthy then. :smile:

• @Wendoverman said:

@eric_plant said:

I don't think they'd ask him too, we'd probably go 4 at the back. Agree Obita has really excelled recently.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Wendoverman said:

@eric_plant said:

I don't think they'd ask him too, we'd probably go 4 at the back. Agree Obita has really excelled recently.

Taf, Stewart, Forino...with Grimmer and McCarthy...not ideal but could work after a fashion but let's not plan for an injured Obita before we have to!

• Grimmer has some left foot on him judging by last night’s goal

• Perhaps Horgan would do a fair job, a la Fred.

• @Mandown said:
    Grimmer has some left foot on him judging by last night’s goal

Scored an even better one with his left for Cov in the L2 play-off final (must have been his last game for them?).

• @Wendoverman said:

@eric_plant said:

We might try Wheels or Horgan as LWB? Didn’t we develop Fred into a great LWB before he left for Luton?

• @Forest_Blue said:

@Wendoverman said:

@eric_plant said:

We might try Wheels or Horgan as LWB? Didn’t we develop Fred into a great LWB before he left for Luton?

Is it just me who thinks Wheeler has his certain strengths but isn't this amazing utility man some do?

• @Malone said:

@Forest_Blue said:

@Wendoverman said:

@eric_plant said:

Is it just me who thinks Wheeler has his certain strengths but isn't this amazing utility man some do?

Yep ;)

• @Malone said:

@Forest_Blue said:

@Wendoverman said:

@eric_plant said:

Nope.

• @Malone said:

@Forest_Blue said:

@Wendoverman said:

@eric_plant said:

I’m certain you’re not alone @Malone. “You’re never alone with Malone” to plagiarise the Strand cigarette ad. (One for fellow Oldies.)

• @Malone said:

@Forest_Blue said:

@Wendoverman said:

@eric_plant said:

He's got a good range of possibilities but won't always be effective every time, the utility tag rarely helps players , too easy to see them as a good bench option or move them about so much they can't make any position their own. Wide right and up front he is a good option, works his nuts off in central mid though it's not really him, probably do a decent job at RWB, and another great guy, if he's not needed in the starting 11 we aren't doing to badly.

• Wide right in a front 3 I'd say is his speciality, up front not so much, as his heading ability is much less effective against players who typically have heading as their number 1 attribute in the lower leagues.

He can do a decent job at centre mid, but only if you have a Thompson/Scowen in there too, and I could only see right wing back as a defensive fill in emergency job really.