Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• Swans do eat shrimps apparently, so it all adds up.

• Morecambe fans on Lavelle. They’re not bigging us up too much.

shrimpsvoices.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26333&sid=c17645625e6ec065b270987d93c8dbef

• It's an interesting one, we already have four first-choice centre backs for three positions at the moment, with decent back-up from the development squad. Adding in Lavelle and that will cause a real selection headache.

Unless, of course, the reason for Tafazolli's absence is that he's on his way back to the Championship and we're lining up a replacement?

• Someone said they spoke to Tafa and said he blocked a Bayo shot and got injured!
    Always a bit dodgy off 3rd hand and it's not like players always tell the truth, but I believe it for whatever reason..
    But no idea on timescale.

• Can’t see Morecambe selling for £180K. There also appears to be a lot of interest in the lad.
    Hope we get him but could be a long shot.

• Interesting to note that Lavelle came up through the ranks at Blackburn as well.

• edited August 2021

As much as he works for The S*n, if Alan Nixon says it then it's pretty much happening.

• Talk of Sam Cosgrove from Birmingham on loan as well..centre forward.

• @PBo said:
    Morecambe fans on Lavelle. They’re not bigging us up too much.

shrimpsvoices.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26333&sid=c17645625e6ec065b270987d93c8dbef

Pretty fair-minded discussion generally. Their comments about us, in response to ones they'd seen on Twitter, weren't unreasonable.

• Yeah, they'd fill the two main needs - Cosgrove, on the face of it, would be a decent direct back-up for Vokes - and we'd still have room for one more outfield player over 21.

• @HCblue said:

@PBo said:

Pretty fair-minded discussion generally. Their comments about us, in response to ones they'd seen on Twitter, weren't unreasonable.

I think referring to Wycombe as a village team is pretty unreasonable.

• @glasshalffull said:

@HCblue said:

@PBo said:

I think referring to Wycombe as a village team is pretty unreasonable.

Taken in the right spirit and context, I'm fine with it. I've seen worse here said of other clubs.

• I think that's Lavelle pretty much confirmed ?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I think that's Lavelle pretty much confirmed ?

Someone go tell Pete that my house is really Messi ?

• Morecambe fans suggesting a move to us is a sidewards step is reminiscent of us saying the same about Barnsley!

• Lavelle deal close to completion

• Morecambe have just signed a centre half. Some saying this is probably to replace lavelle..some saying they needed another centre half anyway.

• I've been told that Lavelle will be announced either today or tomorrow but a fee has been arranged, just pending a Medical and signing on the dotted line

• Very interesting.
    And some of us were wondering how we'd select 3 centre backs from our 4.

Now it's 3 from 5. Great for depth, tough for decision making.

• Lavelle is just what we need. Without Tafazolli on Saturday we sometimes (not often) looked a bit vulnerable in the air and at our right back position. Although we really beat Stanley quite comprehensively, better sides may have punished us. Lavelle is a Josh Knight replacement and will play regularly but he also provides that depth when Stewart or Taff are injured etc.
    Would be a very good signing and one with great potential for a sell on later on down line.

• Grimmer did fine in the air on Saturday, and FBs in the outside CB spots are preferable, but there will be games when you want an extra 'true' CB in the three. I also feel like Grimmer could slot in at RWB if need be, although he suffers from the same deficiency as McCarthy in that he's not a good enough crosser of the ball.

• Yes an extra true CB and he looks a young leader so great potential if he signs ?

• Could well be a record fee as well?

• Yes, must be circa £200K. Any news on the Birmingham forward @ReturnToSenda ?

• Quite surprised with this too. If playing the three CB system, we already have four quality CBs plus cover from several in the development squad. Could one (perhaps Taf) be heading out?

• edited August 2021

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    Yes, must be circa £200K. Any news on the Birmingham forward @ReturnToSenda ?

Cosgrove? Not that I've seen, but has the feel of another very good signing if it happens. He's a right handful!

• I wondered the same thing @DevC Possibly Taf going back to the championship.... hopefully GA is making sure we've got enough strength in depth.

• The village team thing made me laugh. Clearly Morecambe fans remember our long and illustrious amateur and semi-professional history. Can't say I remember Morecambe for anything other than the biting cold and the dearth of local watering holes - decided to stay in Lancaster instead when last making that sortie.

• edited August 2021

Actually, assuming we get Lavelle over the line, I reckon he goes straight into the side on Saturday - Cheltenham have Ben Tozer's long throws and Andy Williams, who's pretty strong in the air.

• @bigred87 said:
    I wondered the same thing @DevC Possibly Taf going back to the championship.... hopefully GA is making sure we've got enough strength in depth.

With his injury record i'd be surprised if a Championship club comes in for him, not sure how many games he missed last season but it wasn't just a few.