Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• @BlueBoy said:
    Ainsworth’s post-match comments do seem to back up the view that agent(s) are causing some potential road blocks and that signings may not be coming through the door as quickly as perhaps planned.

Sounds to me a bit like that Facebook advert that appears when you are convinced all you have done is think about that product.
    Ainsworth never gives anything on transfers and is happy to mirror the rumour mill when it suits.
    He'll get players in the door who want to be here.

• @Otter87 said:
    I agree with @eric_plant, GA mentions that the "irons are in the fire" if he thought the transfer was no longer on the table, he would have said something like "there have been one or two that have just gotten away from us" or something along those lines. GA keeps his cards close to his chest but is also very honest with us and I reckon it's still there

Agree. Deal is still on..just a case of finalising things with lavelle. We can all read too much into tweets or press interviews.Clearly need another centre half so would think they are doing their best to get this one over the line.

• If Burley continues to be as impressive as it sounded like he was last night, perhaps that need isn't quite so pressing (although obviously he is still very inexperienced).

• I agree. I thought Burley looked highly promising. Would be a shame to put another body in his way assuming Taf injury is not too long term or not leaving.

• If Lavelle is not right for us then it is good to move on. There will be the possibility of some good loan options over the coming weeks.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    If Lavelle is not right for us then it is good to move on. There will be the possibility of some good loan options over the coming weeks.

Have to remember there are still clubs higher up assessing players and doing business, and also playing random friendlies, sometimes more than one on the same day, or on consecutive days. Once the Prem kicks off and it becomes clear which players won't get in matchday squads or even be registered then they'll be made available and that'll knock on further down.

• @Otter87 Why on earth would he say "gotten" in his Lancashire brogue? Are you Pete Couhig?

• On paper Lavelle looks an ideal signing for us.

Promoted captain at 24, available for relatively cheap in a position that we need to add to. I'd be amazed if we couldn't get it over the line of we've got to the player negotiations

• On paper, Lavelle must look an ideal signing for a whole host of clubs. That may be the trouble. It all depends on how realistic the financial demands are from him and his agent and above all perhaps how convinced managers/head coaches are that he is right for their club and how convinced they are that he really wants to be part of their setup. Any doubts on those scores, especially on the part of managers as meticulous as GA and Dobbo, would almost certainly be deal breakers but all that is pure speculation.

It’s just that, not for the first time, tantalising indications that we were about to sign someone special seem to be withering on the vine. To mix metaphors, and to echo @StrongestTeam’s sentiments, there will be plenty more pebbles on the beach when Premier League clubs start sorting the wheat from the wheat, never mind the chaff.

• @drcongo said:
    On the gram meant something very different when I was younger.

Did you have a Radiogram in your house as well @drcongo

• Did we get any confirmation that Burley had signed a 1 year deal / we took up the option?

• edited August 2021

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Did we get any confirmation that Burley had signed a 1 year deal / we took up the option?

Not sure how long, but he definitely signed a new deal. It just wasn't automatic like others as he's a bit older and had some interest from lower leagues, but he wanted to stay - so I'm told.

• It says he signed a deal in the Leicester programme. No detail on for how long. Has been strange that there has been nothing on the website twitter to confirm though.

• @RomanHats said:
    It says he signed a deal in the Leicester programme. No detail on for how long. Has been strange that there has been nothing on the website twitter to confirm though.

I think it was done when Matt C was off (before any of the new media staff came onboard).

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Did we get any confirmation that Burley had signed a 1 year deal / we took up the option?

Not sure how long, but he definitely signed a new deal. It just wasn't automatic like others as he's a bit older and had some interest from lower leagues, but he wanted to stay - so I'm told.

I know we play our cards close to our chest on a lot of squad matters but this seemed a little mysterious. He came across as a really lovely young man in the interview with Stockdale and being around pros like the great one will only do him good

• Cosgrove appears to have gone to Shrews on their twitter

• @NiceCarrots said:
    Cosgrove appears to have gone to Shrews on their twitter

Yeah, probably for the best. He needs to play regularly and he wouldn't get that here with Vokes in his way.

• Did anyone think that Lavelle maybe wanted to play his last game for Morecambe against his former club? Don't read too much into things...

• To be honest, I wouldn’t be too bothered if we didn’t get Lavalle. We’ve got 4 senior defenders to cover the three positions plus two promising youngsters in Burley and Wakely.

Think I’d rather stick with what we’ve got and save a few quid for when it’s clear we’ve got a real hole in our squad to fill.

• I think Lavelle would be a very shrewd signing for the investment potential alone. Not many 24 year old central defenders become club captains and he is already a highly rated player. Maybe personality considerations and a lukewarm attitude towards a move further south than Shropshire are contra indications.

• Well, it was late (as nearly always) when I wrote that. It’s Cosgrove who’s thought to be heading for Shrewsbury. But the moving south aspect may in any case be an impediment from Lavelle’s point of view.

Brief off-thread comment on the Andre Burley post match interview at St James’s Park (on another thread that I can’t readily recall). Lovely empathy/mutual affection between him and ‘Stocko’ but I was a little taken aback when he talked about three points being in the bag (or words to that effect) !

• @micra said:
    Well, it was late (as nearly always) when I wrote that. It’s Cosgrove who’s thought to be heading for Shrewsbury. But the moving south aspect may in any case be an impediment from Lavelle’s point of view.

Brief off-thread comment on the Andre Burley post match interview at St James’s Park (on another thread that I can’t readily recall). Lovely empathy/mutual affection between him and ‘Stocko’ but I was a little taken aback when he talked about three points being in the bag (or words to that effect) !

Cosgrove signed for Shrewsbury yesterday.

• @micra When I was Andre's age i was like Keith's Appraisal from The Office - so I'll cut him some slack for thinking Exeter was a league game :-)

• You would have thought the penalties would have flagged it though....

To be fair, cant have done much media, came across though as a decent lad, played outstandingly, I am sure we can cut him a little slack! I am sure the payers will not have missed the opportunity to take the piss though.

• @micra said:
    Well, it was late (as nearly always) when I wrote that. It’s Cosgrove who’s thought to be heading for Shrewsbury. But the moving south aspect may in any case be an impediment from Lavelle’s point of view.

No doubt slipped into cliche mode. Although you wouldn't have thought such a youngster would, as he's not had 10 years of having to field the same old questions week in week out.

• Any more news regarding Lavelle? Is he staying at Morecambe?

• Usual talk from a manager trying to boost a price I guess. He didn’t see truck load of money though.

• Player clearly is interested in moving on. Long odds on that he will have done so before end of window. Who to? Who knows.....