Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• I'm surprised his Agent doesn't advise his client to see out his contract with Morecambe this season. As a free Agent next year he could get a massive signing on fee. That is of course if he continues to develop and doesn't suffer a serious injury.

• Do agents receive a percentage of the transfer fee?

• @Chris said:
    Do agents receive a percentage of the transfer fee?

I've just found this on the PFSA site:

https://thepfsa.co.uk/how-to-become-a-football-agent/#:~:text=Agents typically work,lot of money.

• Surely to allow him to talk to us they must have agreed the fee.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Surely to allow him to talk to us they must have agreed the fee.

Tapping up used to be a very touchy subject but I'm not sure it is any more as you rarely see anyone get punished and so many players are coming out of contract or able to sign pre-contract deals. If a player has no interest or wants too much £ there's no point haggling with the club over the fee

• Normal business. Selling club will now be happy potential transfer out in the wild, agent similar as more cash in the deal if it starts a bidding ‘war’, player happy as maybe that Serie A club that he was hoping for is now aware he’s available.

Sometimes it works. Sometimes you get a six month contract at Crewe.

• the club put out a teasing tweet on new signing...it being bovril, hopefully a real announcement on a signing will be made today......

• It won't be Eddie Beef !!
    As Man Utd's King of the jibbers, past away recently .

• @Wanderers82 said:
    the club put out a teasing tweet on new signing...it being bovril, hopefully a real announcement on a signing will be made today......

It had me going for a minute

• edited August 2021

I was surprised to hear Gaz describe it as a thin squad the other day. Is it? I'm sure we'll fill the remaining two spots with new signings, but I've never known a Wycombe squad with this kind of strength in depth.

• It's not thin at all but having seemingly settled on 3 at the back to then get lots of knocks and a knock back in that position is a bit unfortunate. We could easily go back to a back 4 if we need to but I'm not sure we do.

• We could have Tafazolli, Gape, Wheeler, JJ, McCarthy, McCleary and Scowen all missing tomorrow. I hope not but that would really stretch us.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    We could have Tafazolli, Gape, Wheeler, JJ, McCarthy, McCleary and Scowen all missing tomorrow. I hope not but that would really stretch us.

McCleary and Scowen were just rested on Tuesday, so they'll play barring anything last-minute!

• @StrongestTeam said:
    It's not thin at all but having seemingly settled on 3 at the back to then get lots of knocks and a knock back in that position is a bit unfortunate. We could easily go back to a back 4 if we need to but I'm not sure we do.

Yeah, I think there will come a tipping point where the back three becomes so makeshift a back four is better on balance, but I agree we're probably not there yet.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    It's not thin at all but having seemingly settled on 3 at the back to then get lots of knocks and a knock back in that position is a bit unfortunate. We could easily go back to a back 4 if we need to but I'm not sure we do.

Yeah, I think there will come a tipping point where the back three becomes so makeshift a back four is better on balance, but I agree we're probably not there yet.

Depends who it is as much as numbers, in theory we only need one proper centre back if JJ and Grimmer are fit whereas you maybe wouldn't want either of those centrally in a 4

• @StrongestTeam said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@StrongestTeam said:

Depends who it is as much as numbers, in theory we only need one proper centre back if JJ and Grimmer are fit whereas you maybe wouldn't want either of those centrally in a 4

Grimmer held up well enough there in a couple of games last season, although he also had a mare away to Barnsley. Hopefully we've got enough to stick with the same system tomorrow ?

• Morecambe is shown as having a population of 33,848 in 2019.Wycombe's population is shown as about 160,000. Some village

• makes me laugh that morecambe are playing hardball with transfer fee az they are holding out for 500k for a player with 1 year left on his contract, if that was us u am pretty sure we would get bullied in receiving a lot less...as we have in the past

• And look where that approach has got us.

• Forget Lavelle, we can get much better on the loan market. I think Gaz will spring a surprise in getting in a loanee CB. Maybe today?

• If Morecambe don't need the money and don't want to sell, and if Lavelle doesn't want to join us then everyone is happy. I want players who want to love playing for Wycombe. Haven't seen enough of Voakes so far but seeing him dive in to stop a shot v Exeter I already know he's a good un.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    If Morecambe don't need the money and don't want to sell, and if Lavelle doesn't want to join us then everyone is happy. I want players who want to love playing for Wycombe. Haven't seen enough of Voakes so far but seeing him dive in to stop a shot v Exeter I already know he's a good un.

Theres a big difference between a club "not needing the money" and not being willing to sell, especially when the player only has a year left on his contract.

Same goes with players wanting to get the best contract yet can, it's a short career, and in Lavelle's case this would be his first "good money" contract I suspect, having been at Morecambe since being a teenager. With Vokes' career and money in the bank I can easily see why his top priority would be just playing.

Obviously neither of these things mean we should just pay out whatever they want (club or player), but looking at the reviews and his age, the 200k figure quoted previously sounded a bargain to me, and if you're signing the captain of another league 1 club, im sure they'd demand a very competitive wage and be one of our top earners from the L1 contracts.

If GA genuinely believes Lavelle is as good as the reviews, then I hope it goes through somehow as it really would be a statement signing, and if Lavelle was a success for us, 200-400k would be dwarfed in a year or two- just for performing in the top half of l1 let alone if we got to the championship

• @Username said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    If Morecambe don't need the money and don't want to sell, and if Lavelle doesn't want to join us then everyone is happy. I want players who want to love playing for Wycombe. Haven't seen enough of Voakes so far but seeing him dive in to stop a shot v Exeter I already know he's a good un.

Theres a big difference between a club "not needing the money" and not being willing to sell, especially when the player only has a year left on his contract.

Same goes with players wanting to get the best contract yet can, it's a short career, and in Lavelle's case this would be his first "good money" contract I suspect, having been at Morecambe since being a teenager. With Vokes' career and money in the bank I can easily see why his top priority would be just playing.

Obviously neither of these things mean we should just pay out whatever they want (club or player), but looking at the reviews and his age, the 200k figure quoted previously sounded a bargain to me, and if you're signing the captain of another league 1 club, im sure they'd demand a very competitive wage and be one of our top earners from the L1 contracts.

If GA genuinely believes Lavelle is as good as the reviews, then I hope it goes through somehow as it really would be a statement signing, and if Lavelle was a success for us, 200-400k would be dwarfed in a year or two- just for performing in the top half of l1 let alone if we got to the championship

Depends who else is available and how it all pans out, also if they think they can make do without him and maybe pick him up cheaper in January etc, easy to say he'll be a bargain but we haven't paid 200k for a young prospect in many years. They'll be rightly cautious and won't want to get drawn into anything if it doesn't seem right.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Username said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

Depends who else is available and how it all pans out, also if they think they can make do without him and maybe pick him up cheaper in January etc, easy to say he'll be a bargain but we haven't paid 200k for a young prospect in many years. They'll be rightly cautious and won't want to get drawn into anything if it doesn't seem right.

The other factor will be Tafazoli’s injury. Six months out we need to sign an oven ready (love that phrase, must use it more, sounds credible) centre half. Or if he’s a couple of weeks away we can make do. I doubt if many PL league clubs will lend us a top notch defender to warm the bench.

• Lavelle 90 Cosgrove 45.

• seem a bit old to be top pros @micra

• We certainly will need to bring in at least one centre half pretty quickly, that is ready for 1st team action.

• In that first half there seemed quite a few incidents where Grimmer especially gave away fouls trying to climb over their tall forward.
    A more natural, taller centre back there I think would have dealt with it differently.

However, as long as Taf is back sometime soon I think we can cope with what we have.

We really need McCarthy back too, as he's one of the huge reasons we moved to this system to start with.

• edited August 2021

I think the most pressing need is a more direct rotation option for Vokes than Bayo, but that might be hard to find in the loan market. Either that or we find an effective way of playing without a target man when need be.

• Unless Taf can do a job up front...