Skip to content

Bizarre transfer rumors thread

Comments

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Stephen Henderson, Ex-Forest keeper who played three games on loan for Wycombe in 2018 looks to have been released by Crystal Palace. Plenty of Championship experience and could be a good signing for us.

Good shout. He looked excellent for us on loan. Really commanded his area.

• Stephen Henderson’s “time” at Wycombe was too recent for me to remember him. Too fleeting as well. Apart from 53 appearances for Charlton a few years ago, he has made fewer than 50 appearances (for half a dozen clubs) over the past eight years. That does give rise to a doubt or two.

• Sarr who's just left Charlton is a solid cb.... well worth a look at?

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:
    Interesting that Rob Couhig just liked a tweet regarding Wycombe signing Ikpeazu. What a great signing that would be.

He's not even subtle! Didn't he half-announce Fred by liking similar the day before he was actually unveiled?

• @bigred87 said:
    Sarr who's just left Charlton is a solid cb.... well worth a look at?

Another very big unit. On the plus side, he has scored a reasonable number of goals for a central defender - presumably mainly from set pieces. Nothing known about his personality/character but he does hold some kind of record in the disciplinary stakes, having been sent off within the first minute of a game between Charlton and AFC Wimbledon in December 2018.

• @micra said:

@bigred87 said:
    Sarr who's just left Charlton is a solid cb.... well worth a look at?

Another very big unit. On the plus side, he has scored a reasonable number of goals for a central defender - presumably mainly from set pieces. Nothing known about his personality/character but he does hold some kind of record in the disciplinary stakes, having been sent off within the first minute of a game between Charlton and AFC Wimbledon in December 2018.

Not good to go a goal down like this...

• I remember the “incident” (who wouldn’t) but didn’t realise Sarr was the culprit. On the plus side, he appears to be a left side centre back!

• Ikpeazu seems like a player that will fit nicely into our system, and Sarr & Henderson could be nice pick ups on free transfers to flesh out the squad, with both having quality and bringing competition to the squad. Pleased that Gaz/Dobbo are not changing the style, but looking to bring in players that will fit in and potentially increase our presence in the POMO for free kicks, corners and throw ins.

• I suspect Sarr will be out of our range and have a few big clubs sniffing around him. Too good to merely rotate with Charles anyway - I expect we'll stick with the same back four as far as possible.

• Just catching up on this. I could see there being some truth in the Ikpeazu story. He was excellent against us once or twice for Cambridge and has both strength and speed. A bit of a mash up of Samuel and Bayo. In games where we are playing a lone striker and have limited possession he's the kind of player we might need as an out ball.

• @Double_H said:
    Ikpeazu seems like a player that will fit nicely into our system, and Sarr & Henderson could be nice pick ups on free transfers to flesh out the squad, with both having quality and bringing competition to the squad. Pleased that Gaz/Dobbo are not changing the style, but looking to bring in players that will fit in and potentially increase our presence in the POMO for free kicks, corners and throw ins.

Probably a bit early to draw judgement on summer recruitment on the basis of a few rumours and suggestions although I'm fairly sure the style won't change.

• POMO?

• Sounds like instant potato.

• @Malone said:

@davecz said:
    Clearly GA sees more in him than the Hearts supporters, who cannot wait to get rid of him. Let’s hope GA is right.

Many fans are fickle clowns. Hero one week, villain the next.

We'll no doubt see the dust blown off the Bayo/Bloomy/Gaz not being up to it threads if we lose a game early on.

I predict next season will be a bumper one for posts from trevor, glasshalfempty, and whatever richemu returns as...

• @micra said:
    POMO?

Position of maximum opportunity

• @Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:

@davecz said:
    Clearly GA sees more in him than the Hearts supporters, who cannot wait to get rid of him. Let’s hope GA is right.

Many fans are fickle clowns. Hero one week, villain the next.

We'll no doubt see the dust blown off the Bayo/Bloomy/Gaz not being up to it threads if we lose a game early on.

I predict next season will be a bumper one for posts from trevor, glasshalfempty, and whatever richemu returns as...

That in itself is a negative post

• I can't be the life and soul of the party all of the time @eric_plant we all have a dark side.

• Football supporters @eric_plant tend to fall into two camps especially pre-season- the insane optimists who believe there chosen club will almost certainly storm whatever league they are in to an inevitable title with a record points total and the gloomy pessimists who see an inevitable struggle with hardly a point gained and looking nervously at the record low points total for the division (Rotherham 16-17 23pts).
    I sadly am one of life's natural Eeyore's in this respect.

I, like @Wendoverman do fear how much enjoyment the trolls will derive on this forum if/(when?) we lose four in a row.

• edited August 2020

@DevC I'm already in eric's bad books...if you and @glasshalffull agree with me, I'll never get out. (To be honest I'm don't fear it...I find it amusing...and they have had a hard three years or so, so it's difficult to begrudge them their time...)

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Double_H said:
    Ikpeazu seems like a player that will fit nicely into our system, and Sarr & Henderson could be nice pick ups on free transfers to flesh out the squad, with both having quality and bringing competition to the squad. Pleased that Gaz/Dobbo are not changing the style, but looking to bring in players that will fit in and potentially increase our presence in the POMO for free kicks, corners and throw ins.

Probably a bit early to draw judgement on summer recruitment on the basis of a few rumours and suggestions although I'm fairly sure the style won't change.

That's fair, I am getting a bit carried away but it's positive that we're being linked with names that look like they could fit into our style of play and have decent experience.

• edited August 2020

@DevC said:
    I, like @Wendoverman do fear how much enjoyment the trolls will derive on this forum if/(when?) we lose four in a row.

I can't believe many of us will be annoyed if we go down at the end of the season. If we stay up even by our fingernails it'll be a stunning achievement, far better even than everything achieved in the Ainsworth era so far.

If, however, we lose four or more in a row by keeping the same tactics and formation in place even if it's shown to have been 'found out', I do reserve the right to gently point out that some adaptations might be necessary in order to regain the initiative. This is, after all, a forum to discuss such things, not merely a North Korean-style opportunity to indulge in ever magnified hagiography.

• Clearly it’s going to be be an incredibly difficult season and there could be times when we lose a number of games in a row but people do have the right to comment even if it’s in a negative manner about performance, tactics and players. The game is all about opinions. It would be a dull old forum if we all thought the same.

• @davecz said:
    Clearly it’s going to be be an incredibly difficult season and there could be times when we lose a number of games in a row but people do have the right to comment even if it’s in a negative manner about performance, tactics and players. The game is all about opinions. It would be a dull old forum if we all thought the same.

Totally agree...and I'm not for any North Korean style communal clapping though I still maintain 'This is ****ing shit...' posted within five minutes of kick-off does not fall into the category of gently pointing out some limitations in the game plan and possible changes in formation. :smile:

• I'm happy to wait and see how we get on before assuming we'll be losing every week

• ** This is, after all, a forum to discuss such things, not merely a North Korean-style opportunity to indulge in ever magnified hagiography. **

I'll get my coat.

• @eric_plant - I don’t think people are saying we will lose every week but we need to be realistic, Its a huge jump up In standards to the Championship. It’s great been optimistic but let’s have a sense of reality.

• What on earth for?

• I think it's going to be a long hard season, but we will win enough to survive. I was suggesting that some of the usual suspects might not be happy with that assessment. Which was negative about their negativity for which I apologise.

• @drcongo said:
    What on earth for?

Exactly!!!!

• A massive tonne-load of Malone sized thumbs up for your post at 3.41 @Wendoverman. Like me, you seem to have acquired a couple of downthumbers who, I’ve concluded, object to intelligent and/or self-deprecating (often, in your case, pleasingly humorous) observations and lack the wit to put their own feelings into words.
    Well, that’s how I see it.