Skip to content

Bizarre transfer rumors thread

Comments

• Talking of Holloway, where is Aaron Amadi these days? I know there appeared to be personality/attitude issues when he was here before but that was four or five years ago and he must be late twenties now. From my perspective he seemed too languid and lacking in enthusiasm (can’t recall him celebrating goals, for example) but what a powerhouse when he turned his mind to it.

No, probably not right, thinking about it, and hard to imagine him being one of those ex players (too many to mention) anxious to come back.

• Think he plays in Australia now

• Holloway plays for Brisbane Roar alongside Jamie Young, he seemed to be injured when I watched a bit on Sky but was mentioned a few times as being a threat with his height. Similar to the Pierre discussion the other day he was great at some things but you don't always get the full range on our budget. Great touch and passing but has never been anything like prolific. Maybe needed to be a bit more aggressive. Think he was a decent guy but got his nose out of joint alongside Banton when Thompson went in ahead of them despite his age. Thommo was much more an Ainsworth player and also a much better striker and wide player.

• edited August 2020

You're right @micra I always got the impression Holloway was a great talent about to explode and each game you hoped this would be the one...but he never seemed to want to bother on a consistent level. I get the impression Gareth will stick with people if he thinks they have potential, are working hard and just need that final bit of quality (Freeman for example) but quickly gets shot if he thinks he's wasting his time.

• Just had a look at his goal record, 6 in 52 for us, never scored more than 2 goals for anyone else, 2 in 51 for Oldham. I know he offers more around the pitch but out of being played in, open goals, sheer luck or at set pieces most defenders would expect more than that.

• It's a shame because he looked a tremendous talent.

• edited August 2020

@YorkExile said:

@Malone said:

@YorkExile said:
    As a Villa sympathiser, I was delighted to see them stay up on the final day (while also having a tiny pang of disappointment that we wouldn't be playing them in the league next season!). However, they have a young striker that I am a big fan of and will surely move on this summer, assuming they bring in at least one.

Step forward Keinan Davis. He is still only 22 and a raw talent, but has a decent number of Premier League and Championship matches under his belt. He's a big lad and incredibly strong on the ball, but lacks confidence in front of goal which reflects in his frankly miserable goal record to date. Given that he is contracted to Villa until June 2021, a loan offer with a promise of developing him both as an individual and a footballer would make a lot of sense to me. He suits our style perfectly and would doubtless learn a huge amount by spending a season with us. Depending on where Villa are next summer and how he does with us, they could then decide whether to offer him a new contract, and we'd be in pole position to swoop if they didn't. They may decide that they want to cash in now of course, but given the relatively low fee he'd command, it would surely be in their interests to send him out on loan with a promise of a new contract and further first team opportunities if he starts to fulfil his obvious potential...

You're joking aren't you? He was starting a lot of games for them near the end of the season.
    There's no way at all he's going on loan to us.

Personally can't understand how he was starting at that level. Between him and Samatta they have almost zero goal threat.

I'm not joking at all. Can you explain how you "can't understand how he was starting at that level" but at the same time there is "no way at all he's going on loan to us", a club that will be playing at the level below next season? Is it just the idea of him playing for us that you find so incomprehensible? The fact that he was starting a lot of games after the restart is largely irrelevant as Villa will spend again, particularly up top.

One is my personal opinion - i think he's very poor at Premier level.
    Clearly a totally different opinion to Villa who really rate him - hence him being their main striker for the run in.

We need to be realistic. Yes, we're championship, and that allows us greater quality in loans you would think. But we won't be picking up players who have been regular starters in the Premier league a mere few weeks ago.
    Covid means teams will have less to spend than usually.

• edited August 2020

Very few Wycombe players have had the ability to make the ball stick to their feet like he could. He was brilliant at that, but no end product at all and he didn't seem to enjoy football very much.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    @Malone He played all nine games pretty much straight after signing, got injured around the turn of the year and missed the rest of his first season. Then spent the next season on loan with Pompey then MK.

Ah, good background on the injury situation. That makes a lot more sense.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Just had a look at his goal record, 6 in 52 for us, never scored more than 2 goals for anyone else, 2 in 51 for Oldham. I know he offers more around the pitch but out of being played in, open goals, sheer luck or at set pieces most defenders would expect more than that.

Did he convert, or at least play quite a few games at centre back in there though?

It was a shame with Holloway, as we put such a large amount of rehab and conditioning into him, only for it eventually to come to nothing.

Maybe a bit similar with Muller. We never quite got to see Hayes' much quoted comment on him pan out.

Still, we've got it right with so many other players - you literally can't win with them all.

• @Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    Just had a look at his goal record, 6 in 52 for us, never scored more than 2 goals for anyone else, 2 in 51 for Oldham. I know he offers more around the pitch but out of being played in, open goals, sheer luck or at set pieces most defenders would expect more than that.

Did he convert, or at least play quite a few games at centre back in there though?

It was a shame with Holloway, as we put such a large amount of rehab and conditioning into him, only for it eventually to come to nothing.

Maybe a bit similar with Muller. We never quite got to see Hayes' much quoted comment on him pan out.

Still, we've got it right with so many other players - you literally can't win with them all.

Don't think he ever played defence for us or since but can't be certain. We got our money's worth with him, he cost nothing and would have been paid peanuts. Seems like he's made himself a career though even if we thought he could have done better.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:

Don't think he ever played defence for us or since but can't be certain. We got our money's worth with him, he cost nothing and would have been paid peanuts. Seems like he's made himself a career though even if we thought he could have done better.

Yeah, definitely never centre back for us. Elsewhere potentially on occasions though.

@chairboyscentral do you know if Holloway turned out at centre back elsewhere? Or am I thinking of some emergency job.

• @Chris said:
    It's a shame because he looked a tremendous talent.

He looked a tremendous talent in that play off campaign. Frustrating and dissapointing before and after

• @Malone Definitely feel like I've seen him play at CB but can't remember where

• edited August 2020

Holloway was one of those frustrating "what if" type players. Great first touch, presence and ability to bring people into the game, just couldn't turn his ability into goals. It might have been an interesting experiment to play him as a Mousa Dembele (ex-Spurs) type player given his ability to hold off other players and guard the ball, beat a man and lay it off, but guess we will never have the opportunity to see that now!

• Not sure if already mentioned, but Wycombe have been linked with South African international Kamohelo Mokotjo. Had a good career in Netherlands, just released by Brentford.

• Free agent Yoan Zouma - worth a spot in our B team?

• @YorkExile said:
    Free agent Yoan Zouma - worth a spot in our B team?

Would be too old at 22 surely?

• @YorkExile said:

He was the stand out player for me in that first game of the season. Not a bad shout.

@YorkExile said:

Isn't the aim of the B team to nurture raw talent and offer a pathway to the first team? Clearly there's a limit to the age of players you can offer that to, but I wouldn't have thought aged 22 with less than 25 professional appearances to your name was beyond the realms of possibility.

• I thought he was really good against us at adams park, surprised he's a free agent!

• @YorkExile said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@YorkExile said:

Isn't the aim of the B team to nurture raw talent and offer a pathway to the first team? Clearly there's a limit to the age of players you can offer that to, but I wouldn't have thought aged 22 with less than 25 professional appearances to your name was beyond the realms of possibility.

18-20 according to Sam Hart in his interview - not sure if there's any flexibility as there will be players like Zouma who fall into a bit of a gap. Then again, wouldn't he benefit more from playing actual first team football lower down the pyramid?

@YorkExile said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@YorkExile said:

18-20 according to Sam Hart in his interview - not sure if there's any flexibility as there will be players like Zouma who fall into a bit of a gap. Then again, wouldn't he benefit more from playing actual first team football lower down the pyramid?

We've normally got a couple of fringe (not quite up to it) or upcoming players in our squad anyway, maybe some space for the odd in-between

• I thought we were talking about cover for first team...they are the players I'm interested in hearing about...not candidates for the newly formed B Team to be honest.

• There will be overlap between the two. Half of the B team will be made up of fringe first team players anyway.

• With Mascoll gone I will be interested to see who we sign as cover for JJ.

@YorkExile said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@YorkExile said:

Sam Grace?

Or was this guy below giving the interview?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Hart

• @bigred87 said:
    I thought he was really good against us at adams park, surprised he's a free agent!

Does seem very odd, unless he just had a strong game that day as a one off.

• @Malone Yeah, Grace. Not sure how I got him mixed up with an ex-Southend loanee...

• With Mascoll gone I will be interested to see who we sign as cover for JJ.> @Malone said:

@bigred87 said:
    I thought he was really good against us at adams park, surprised he's a free agent!

Does seem very odd, unless he just had a strong game that day as a one off.

I think he was popular with the fans...perhaps that changed as the season went on.