Skip to content

Bizarre transfer rumors thread

Comments

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Username said:
    No chance, he was a good defender, but nowhere near good enough on the ball for me

Oddly a pretty good dribbler and ball carrier with a good shot but still a fairly lousy range of passing. Unless he was just super keen to get rid asap. Brilliant man marker would do a good job for us if he didn't mind not playing every week.

His dribbling, and even his touch were pretty decent, but as you say, his passing, and just as important, his choice of pass, was shocking.

• @Username said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@Username said:
    No chance, he was a good defender, but nowhere near good enough on the ball for me

Oddly a pretty good dribbler and ball carrier with a good shot but still a fairly lousy range of passing. Unless he was just super keen to get rid asap. Brilliant man marker would do a good job for us if he didn't mind not playing every week.

His dribbling, and even his touch were pretty decent, but as you say, his passing, and just as important, his choice of pass, was shocking.

He was about as good a defender as you get in the lower leagues, strength, aerial, pace etc. But you are right with the ball playing, which would be exposed with probably more time on the ball in the championship.

People, myself included are always obsessed with getting old boys back though.

• I’d have him back, but agree he’d have to settle for being backup to Charles. Not as good with the ball at his feet as Stewart, but I reckon he could do a job in the Championship.

• edited August 2020

They're from a fake journo and fake agent on Twitter - although I would very much like to see Forss come in on loan. Not convinced Smyth will be in QPR's plans, but we'd have to pay for him.

• So glad this thread is named as it is then, passes the time until the real deal. Thanks for the factcheck though, good things come...

• edited August 2020

Tbf, those ones aren't that farfetched. Current favourite is Coventry linked with Balotelli, which seems to have reeled a few fans in.

• Well Coventry did miss out on Alexis Sanchez. Why he chose Inter Milan is beyond me!

• Are there any twitter accounts out there that arent fake ?

• I genuinely think these twitter accounts are like going to the cinema. You don't really believe what you are seeing, but there is enough intrigue to keep you entertained for a couple of hours.

• It's just Twitter twatter......

• Sam Winnall anyone?

• How many will Ainsworth bring in? Minimum of 6 new faces seems realistic although i wouldn't be surprised to see 10+...... new kit launch with new signings?

• @bigred87 said:
    How many will Ainsworth bring in? Minimum of 6 new faces seems realistic although i wouldn't be surprised to see 10+...... new kit launch with new signings?

I expect to see 6-8 First Teamers signed and another 6-10 B Teamers.

• As a Villa sympathiser, I was delighted to see them stay up on the final day (while also having a tiny pang of disappointment that we wouldn't be playing them in the league next season!). However, they have a young striker that I am a big fan of and will surely move on this summer, assuming they bring in at least one.

Step forward Keinan Davis. He is still only 22 and a raw talent, but has a decent number of Premier League and Championship matches under his belt. He's a big lad and incredibly strong on the ball, but lacks confidence in front of goal which reflects in his frankly miserable goal record to date. Given that he is contracted to Villa until June 2021, a loan offer with a promise of developing him both as an individual and a footballer would make a lot of sense to me. He suits our style perfectly and would doubtless learn a huge amount by spending a season with us. Depending on where Villa are next summer and how he does with us, they could then decide whether to offer him a new contract, and we'd be in pole position to swoop if they didn't. They may decide that they want to cash in now of course, but given the relatively low fee he'd command, it would surely be in their interests to send him out on loan with a promise of a new contract and further first team opportunities if he starts to fulfil his obvious potential...

• @YorkExile said:
    As a Villa sympathiser, I was delighted to see them stay up on the final day (while also having a tiny pang of disappointment that we wouldn't be playing them in the league next season!). However, they have a young striker that I am a big fan of and will surely move on this summer, assuming they bring in at least one.

Step forward Keinan Davis. He is still only 22 and a raw talent, but has a decent number of Premier League and Championship matches under his belt. He's a big lad and incredibly strong on the ball, but lacks confidence in front of goal which reflects in his frankly miserable goal record to date. Given that he is contracted to Villa until June 2021, a loan offer with a promise of developing him both as an individual and a footballer would make a lot of sense to me. He suits our style perfectly and would doubtless learn a huge amount by spending a season with us. Depending on where Villa are next summer and how he does with us, they could then decide whether to offer him a new contract, and we'd be in pole position to swoop if they didn't. They may decide that they want to cash in now of course, but given the relatively low fee he'd command, it would surely be in their interests to send him out on loan with a promise of a new contract and further first team opportunities if he starts to fulfil his obvious potential...

You're joking aren't you? He was starting a lot of games for them near the end of the season.
    There's no way at all he's going on loan to us.

Personally can't understand how he was starting at that level. Between him and Samatta they have almost zero goal threat.

• What about Charles Dunne? Alternative to Darius in that left-hand CB slot and for Joe at LB. Currently recovering from an op at Motherwell. Would maybe like to get the band back together with Dobbo and Stewart ...

• @our_frank said:
    What about Charles Dunne? Alternative to Darius in that left-hand CB slot and for Joe at LB. Currently recovering from an op at Motherwell. Would maybe like to get the band back together with Dobbo and Stewart ...

I think its been a long time since we signed anyone who wasn't fairly obviously available, either bombed out, in the reserves or already released, with the exception of a few former loaners from youth teams that on balance probably weren't going to be first teamers at their clubs. Fascinating to see who turns up. There's probably still a good argument for not needing to pay fees other than nominal ones with resale prospects and I can't see them suddenly wanting to get into bidding wars on fees or wages.
    No offence to any of the lads, shows how hard all have worked.
    Can anyone remember the last player we got out of a club that showed real signs they wanted him to stay?

• Agree @StrongestTeam I cannot see Rob C, Gareth or Dobbo risking what we do have within the present set-up for a possibly doomed 'stay up at any cost' scenario myself. I actually think they pride themselves on the research they do and avoiding knee-jerk panic buying. Even players like Holloway and Banton, you could see the logic of why they got them in and thought it could work...and the same for bringing back PCH and Stewart once they perhaps realised what they had at Wycombe. If we only got McCarthy and Blackman back and a bunch of hopefuls I've never heard of I would be happy...and trust in the management team that they've got it right.

• edited August 2020

We do need at least a couple of reasonably established Championship players imo - although you might count Fred as one. Character will be as important as, if not more important than ever, and we won't just sign players for the sake of it, but we're still going to need eight new faces just to give us a squad of 25. Then you've got to consider who might go out on loan: Yates needs game time to continue his development and there's no EFL Trophy any more, and Parker's not likely to get many minutes.

• @chairboyscentral How many of our current squad have previous championship experience?

• @Wendoverman said:
    Agree @StrongestTeam I cannot see Rob C, Gareth or Dobbo risking what we do have within the present set-up for a possibly doomed 'stay up at any cost' scenario myself. I actually think they pride themselves on the research they do and avoiding knee-jerk panic buying. Even players like Holloway and Banton, you could see the logic of why they got them in and thought it could work...and the same for bringing back PCH and Stewart once they perhaps realised what they had at Wycombe. If we only got McCarthy and Blackman back and a bunch of hopefuls I've never heard of I would be happy...and trust in the management team that they've got it right.

Not sure on Blackman's situation, as his wages when we had him on loan were insanity, but he's be a supreme year loan wouldn't he?

A couple of other quality loans down the centre of the pitch and we look a lot stronger straight away even without permanents.

• @drcongo said:
    @chairboyscentral How many of our current squad have previous championship experience?

I looked this up recently actually.

Allsop: 12 games (Bournemouth)
    Grimmer: 13 (Fulham)
    JJ: 1 (Cardiff, for all of about ten minutes 14 years ago)
    Wheeler: 9 (QPR)
    Fred: 44 (Millwall, mostly as a sub)
    Parker: 5 (QPR)

• @drcongo The excellent analysis on the @chairboyscentral website suggests 5, I think: Allsop, Grimmer, Jacobson, Parker and Wheeler.

@StrongestTeam It's a fair point, but in Dunne's case, he's on a short-term contract to Christmas, so the barriers might not be quite so high. However, he would need to be fit and to want to come back south. No idea whether either of those apply.

• aaaach ... 6: Fred.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@drcongo said:
    @chairboyscentral How many of our current squad have previous championship experience?

I looked this up recently actually.

Allsop: 12 games (Bournemouth)
    Grimmer: 13 (Fulham)
    JJ: 1 (Cardiff, for all of about ten minutes 14 years ago)
    Wheeler: 9 (QPR)
    Fred: 44 (Millwall, mostly as a sub)
    Parker: 5 (QPR)

That Wheeler stat feels surprising for some reason. Maybe because it seemed he was a bit more established than that. Or because it came after a tidy fee after a 20+ goal season for Exeter.

• @Malone said:

@YorkExile said:
    As a Villa sympathiser, I was delighted to see them stay up on the final day (while also having a tiny pang of disappointment that we wouldn't be playing them in the league next season!). However, they have a young striker that I am a big fan of and will surely move on this summer, assuming they bring in at least one.

You're joking aren't you? He was starting a lot of games for them near the end of the season.
    There's no way at all he's going on loan to us.

Personally can't understand how he was starting at that level. Between him and Samatta they have almost zero goal threat.

I'm not joking at all. Can you explain how you "can't understand how he was starting at that level" but at the same time there is "no way at all he's going on loan to us", a club that will be playing at the level below next season? Is it just the idea of him playing for us that you find so incomprehensible? The fact that he was starting a lot of games after the restart is largely irrelevant as Villa will spend again, particularly up top.

• @Malone He played all nine games pretty much straight after signing, got injured around the turn of the year and missed the rest of his first season. Then spent the next season on loan with Pompey then MK.

• Also, Holloway signed him but was replaced by McClaren at the end of that first season. I guess the impact of that is something we don't really consider as we've had the same manager for forever!