Skip to content

Bizarre transfer rumors thread

Comments

• @Jonny_King, you'll always be in trouble trying to sail a pedalo!!!

• @Twizz Precisely why David and I had to turn back...

• They could spend an absolute fortune and still be way behind other teams player for player, all the players being queried or written off above were queried and written off last year too, some earlier, and are trusted and regularly picked by Ainsworth. Sure its a step up, there's some gaps and good players will be available but I would not be that surprised if we start next season as we ended this. Anyone new needs to be Wycombised after all.

• Im saying it now. Our back 5 (bar Stewart), will get found out at Championship level. Back to my pre season pessimism. I do think I remember telling people when we were top that we would finish 8th ;-)

• @micra Apologies I’m referencing a thread a few weeks ago where I (somewhat tongue in cheek) predicted Parker would be our top scorer next season and someone (@Malone?) jokingly offered me you and someone else’s (unspecified) services If that ever came to pass

• It's been a few pages now but those writing off Allsop (again) might be surprised. He kept us in the final a few times, most noticably when Ox were in the ascendancy after their goal.

Should he train to control his area better from the off it would be ideal but he did not really put a foot wrong to get us promoted. Deserves his chance imo.

• I'm looking forward to winning the Fourth From Bottom trophy next year.> @thecatwwfc said:

Im saying it now. Our back 5 (bar Stewart), will get found out at Championship level. Back to my pre season pessimism. I do think I remember telling people when we were top that we would finish 8th ;-)

Huzzah! The first 'found out' of the close season!

• @NorsQuarters said:
    It's been a few pages now but those writing off Allsop (again) might be surprised. He kept us in the final a few times, most noticably when Ox were in the ascendancy after their goal.

Should he train to control his area better from the off it would be ideal but he did not really put a foot wrong to get us promoted. Deserves his chance imo.

He played well in the final but I think he’s fairly error prone. The penalty incident in the first leg at Fleetwood was particularly clumsy.

Would like to see Ingram back.

• @Vincey said:

No point exchanging like for like.

• @mooneyman said:

@Vincey said:

No point exchanging like for like.

Ingram is a much more assured keeper in my opinion.

• I'm also thinking we should get either Jordan Ibe or Randell Williams back as a new winger. I think we could get the best out of either of them the question is who though. Ibe has experience playing at this sort of level and is generally suited whilst Williams was phenomenal in League Two and of course was on our cards before and it would be interesting to see what he would be like at this level.

• edited August 2020

Sorry, but we surely need to nip the Jordon Ibe rumour in the bud. Even if we could get close to affording his wage demands (we can't), his recent attitude doesnt seem a good fit for the culture Gareth and Dobbo have built.

• Looking forward to seeing some new additions to the squad but I do think as so many of the current starting 11 has been involved in two promotions in three seasons they will be first choice come September. All of the currently contracted players deserve their chance and will all do ok.

The force of the current team spirit is worth more than a couple of highly paid 'Championship proven' additions. I also don't see why we should change our playing style. We are what we are and its been incredibly successful.

Marginal gains and evolution are the order of the day.

• @Last_Quarter said:
    Sorry, but we surely need to nip the Jordon Ibe rumour in the bud. Even if we could get close to affording his wage demands (we can't), his recent attitude doesnt seem a good fit for the culture Gareth and Dobbo have built.

Quite, a playboy like Ibe would certainly not fit in with the ethos of our squad

• @bookertease said:
    @micra Apologies I’m referencing a thread a few weeks ago where I (somewhat tongue in cheek) predicted Parker would be our top scorer next season and someone (@Malone?) jokingly offered me you and someone else’s (unspecified) services If that ever came to pass

Next season's version would be that i think there's more chance of myself, @Jonny_King and @micra forming a touring comedy stand up tour, then there is of Parker starting ten or more games next year.

• @Last_Quarter said:

In fairness, his wage is currently zero.
    He won't be commanding 50k a week or anywhere within a million miles anytime again.

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Im saying it now. Our back 5 (bar Stewart), will get found out at Championship level. Back to my pre season pessimism. I do think I remember telling people when we were top that we would finish 8th ;-)

The annual writing off players begins in earnest.
    Bloomfield hasn't been good enough to start for a decade according to many.

Bayo obviously couldn't cut it in league one..that's why Wimbledon got rid innit.

That last one i still chuckle at. Shocked 20mins into Doncaster away last season (game two was it?) he mis controlled one ball and one loon was already wheeling the Wimbledon line out.

• edited August 2020

Genuinely interested to hear why our back 5 will get "found out" at Championship level? It will be tough, but that's just a throwaway remark that in itself doesn't mean much.

• edited August 2020

@Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

Bayo obviously couldn't cut it in league one..that's why Wimbledon got rid innit.

That last one i still chuckle at. Shocked 20mins into Doncaster away last season (game two was it?) he mis controlled one ball and one loon was already wheeling the Wimbledon line out.

Not writing anyone off here, but the difference between L1 and Champ is vast compared to the difference between L2 and L1 - it would be something of a (pleasant) surprise if some players really stepped up to this level whereas it wasn't really when they stepped up to L1. But the defence doing so certainly wouldn't be surprising!

• I see quite a large number of signings.

Alsopp always strikes me as having vulnerable confidence levels. Lets face it, we will concede a few next season and prob get a pasting or two. Not sure Allsopp’s confidence will hold up. I would bring in GK

Grimmer is fine. JJ is so important to our attacking potential that he has to start. But both need an adequate cover.

Stewart and Charles are a great partnership but with games concentrated need one top quality CB and one adequate cover.

Realistically we will be a direct team but need one more hard running CM to go with Gape, Thompson and Bloomers.

Fred is perhaps our best player and Wheeler fine to. Need one more wide player

Up front need two alternatives capable of leading the line in a direct style. bayo will play a bit and Samuel can be a squad player. Kashket will mostly be on bench at best.

Even with that squad it’s going to be hard.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

Not writing anyone off here, but the difference between L1 and Champ is vast compared to the difference between L2 and L1 - it would be more of a surprise if some players really stepped up to this level whereas it wasn't when they stepped up to L1.

Your post almost seems the opposite of what your one above says!

• I actually feel like players like Freeman and Samuel may be more suited to Championship style football.

• @Malone Yeah, edited to try and make it clearer.

• @Vincey said:
    I actually feel like players like Freeman and Samuel may be more suited to Championship style football.

I have that feeling too.
    I think Samuel will benefit from the defenders not being as agricultural and smashing him all game.

It's easy to forget Samuel has good pedigree and has good touch, control and passing. He's not just a runner.

Freeman i think will always be one of these players who could play at any level but will always have long spells out, with more consistent harder workers taking his place.

• @Vincey said:
    I actually feel like players like Freeman and Samuel may be more suited to Championship style football.

And I am tipping SK to emulate the Baby Faced Assassin and come on late to tuck away the single goal victories. You heard it here first:)

• @Malone said:
    He won't be commanding 50k a week or anywhere within a million miles anytime again.

Very true, but I think my point is that his expectations will be well above our budget, and we'd be outbid by other Championship clubs anyway.

• Unless he feels he has earned a ton alreay and wants to press the reset button for his career and come back to Garath and Dobbo. What better place to come down to earth than Wycombe:)

• @Last_Quarter said:

@Malone said:

Very true, but I think my point is that his expectations will be well above our budget, and we'd be outbid by other Championship clubs anyway.

I can see him going off to Holland or Germany and really re-establishing himself, needs some belief and focus, he was going to be the greatest thing ever then never really played for years , perhaps it was a big stretch to get a big money move to another Prem club and expected to dominate. See Solanke who followed a similar path and took nearly 40 games to get a goal. Dobbo has spoken highly of him in the past and I wouldn't doubt we'd get him going but I'd think he'd have to go somewhere else and fail to shine in order to bring him back to us either on massively reduced wages or on loan.
    There's also the possibility that he was a great prospect but just hasn't developed and isn't actually that good. I'd say we'll know more in 6 months to a year. Our fans will take a keen interest.

• Ibe would be a 'project' and we don't need that kind of baggage in our first Championship season.