Skip to content

Match day thread: Wealdstone

Comments

• I assume that's Koné? Richard Kone would be rather unfortunate...

• Yes agree with that on Trialist D, he could be a good one.

He’s a decent size and looked like he can hold the ball up but also quick, direct and quite skillful. So potentially it’s all there, especially if he shows he can get goals as well

There doesn’t look like too much to lose in getting him in to the development team given he’s currently playing at a pretty low level.

• I don’t care what level it’s at, 82 goals in two seasons deserves some attention.

• https://twitter.com/homelesswrldcup/status/1156882263935610880?t=XRV8vrwf29dAeZk2ifRx9A&s=19

Can't get the link in the article to work but this tweet suggests he has a hell of a story to tell too.

• Agree with other posters that Jack Young had a strong performance and was the only player to nearly play the full 90, only making way for a trialist I believe we are yet to identify with only 2 or so minutes left to play (the lad looked distraught at full time, didn't manage a touch of the ball).

Obviously this is only pre-season with plenty more to come, but thought the game slightly passed Breckin by. Neat and tidy when on the ball (which only happened on the odd occasion) but largely anonymous defensively and didn't offer for the ball anywhere near as much as Young did next to him in midfield. Dare I say similar in performance to a certain Oliver Pendlebury? With this being his first step up to senior football, I'm sure the physicality should come soon enough, just something I thought was lacking tonight. Off that performance though, Young starts over Breckin for me come the Exeter match if it's a decision between the two.

Thought the defence first half was excellent, marshalled well by Keogh and flanked superbly by both Grimmer and Leahy. KVY was quiet although solid on the whole - more to come I'm sure once he's up to match speed. Sad to see Pattenden come off with what looked to be a groin injury, thought he was really growing into his role at RWB and this now may see him out for a couple of months. Defence in the second half looked slightly shakier, likely to do with the experimentation of JJ central and Big Chris on the left, but they dealt with everything confidently enough.

Thought Dale Taylor showed some absolutely outstanding glimpses of movement and skill and can't wait to see more of him. Great Obita-esque assist from Boyes followed up by a decent second half. Tjay looked his ever-bustling self - excited to see how he will develop this season. Tetek did well, think he'd provide good cover in central midfield as long as Scowen isn't out for too long (if it's only illness then hopefully shouldn't be much longer!) Trialist D (Richard Kone) put in a good shift in the second half, not sure he'd really get a look in this season although Google tells me he's still yet to turn 20 so quite possibly one for the future.

Horgan's always a divisive one. Thought it was a typical 'Horgan' performance, made some great runs both on and off the ball and, despite a couple of nice cutbacks, just couldn't find any end product. Would be intrigued to see how long he stays training with us and whether there is a chance Matt could offer him a new, albeit reduced, deal if no more attractive offers come in for him. I for one would not be too disappointed if this was the case.

All-in-all an entertaining evening, already can't wait for Saturday.

• I wonder if it is the same Richard Kone from Cote d'Ivoire who apparently played in the 2019 Homeless World Cup. If so, a very interesting life story.

• I'm reasonably confident this is the same man. Amazing story if so.

• It must be. Here's an interview with former Colchester boss Hayden Mullins. It's great that his name reached Bloomfield after he took over and he's now maybe looking to bring him to Wycombe. Sounds like a fantastic addition to the squad.

__

During the summer, Colchester gave a trial to young striker Richard Kone, who has openly spoken of being gay.

The Ivorian striker's proposed move to the U's did not materialise due to red tape and he remained at Essex Senior League side Athletic Newham.

"It didn't change our opinions on him one bit," said Mullins.

"We were really keen to try and get Richard in the building but with the papers and bits and pieces and a lot of tape, we couldn't get it done.

"It was never an issue with us - it was all about the fact that he was a good player.

"Football is like that and I think that kind of taboo is gone now.

"It's a lot more accepted worldwide and I think football is the same.

"I think football is definitely with the times."

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/sport/19718308.josh-cavallo-became-worlds-current-top-tier-gay-male-professional-footballer/

• Enjoyable evening. I thought all the new signings did well. Young definitely the standout player though, really impressive performance. Got better as the game progressed and was running the midfield 2nd half.

A shame we seem to be struck down with so many injuries, as this looks a very handy squad of players we gave. Could potentially be a slow start to the season if we have several missing though.

• Homeless in the Côte d'Ivoire before getting a chance at Colchester. He must have seen things that can never be unseen. Things etched into the brain that most us could't imagine.

But some parts of Colchester are quite nice....

• A couple more thoughts on Koné; I wonder what sort of administration issues stopped his move to ColU a couple of years ago, and the Essex Senior League was where we signed Anis from.

• I'm salivating at the thought of those Chilli Cheese Fries, pure coronary on a plate/in a plastic dish!😛🤪

• You’d have to guess that it was a work permit issue given he’s an Ivory Coast national by the looks of things.

• he couldn’t get a visa then. It looks like he’s eligible for one now.

• One further thought... If, if, if we're looking for a Hollywood investor to come in and Wrexhamify us, having a player on the books with a personal story like Kone's could be very helpful. Especially if he continues scoring 80 goals over two seasons!

• edited July 2023

A little more on Richard Kone.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/colchesterunited/blogs/237/when-saturday-comes-

Playing professionally could be the stumbling block to a permanent move.

He’s clearly strong in mind as well as physically. I can’t imagine the journey he’s had as a teenager to get to this point in his life and he’s still only 20.

I’d love to see us take him on as we seem a great fit and he’s just the raw forward talent we are looking for. Has scored bucket loads for Newham, 82 goals in two seasons to be precise.

Was his birthday last week, so happy birthday Richard.

https://twitter.com/Athleticnewham/status/1680307401327517697/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1680307401327517697&currentTweetUser=Athleticnewham

• Matt & team are doing a stellar job this window

• edited July 2023

The movie of a man made homeless because of his sexuality who joined a team a bit like Wrexham and took them to the top of the Premiership in 2027 will be a nailed-on Oscar winner (mostly because of the new Oscar rules for eligible movies)

Michael Douglas is Rob Couhig. Tom Cruise is Joe 'JJ' Jacobson. Featuring a cameo from Christian Bale as Bluey the Swan.

• The Josh Scowen situation is very worrying. Is Josh injured or Ill? He makes so much difference when in the team.

• We’ve fallen apart countless times when he’s been unavailable & he seemingly has large spells out of action every season, so we need a contingency plan for losing Josh to injury/illness. I’m sure Matt has one in his back pocket.

• Another scowen in his back pocket is an almost impossible ask sadly... but Matt is working his magic so fingers crossed

• Thanks for the reviews folks. Very excited for the proper kick off now. Whatever happens I think Matts recruitment considering he is not the draw that GA was 😀 seems to be excellent.

• Almost suspiciously excellent... where is the money coming from for the fees and wages?

• Yes...let's not get too excited about Rob's opened checkbook lest we explode!

• Could it be that the budget is the same, but MB is much more willing to use the money than GA..? GA was always very open about his frugal approach to the transfer market.

• If the Kone move happens, would he be the first openly gay professional footballer? I know that there are players in the professional footballing world who are gay but haven't announced it, I'm just wondering if this could be the moment where players feel safe enough to reveal this information to the wider world?