Skip to content

Match day thread: Wealdstone

Comments

• Looking on the Wealdstone club site I see that their membership scheme is pretty interesting with 4 levels of membership, with each level including a season ticket plus differing numbers of shares in the club depending on the package selected.

• Tonight’s starting XI is in

Stryjek, Grimmer, Breckin, Leahy, McCleary, Young, Keogh, Hanlan, Taylor, Pattenden, Vincent-Young.

• No commentary again tonight. I’m sure they said we would have coverage of all pre-season games. No biggie though and great that they switched venue so that fans could attend.

• Chris Forino named amongst the subs this evening.

• edited July 2023

subs

Shala, Jacobson, Forino, Boyes, De Barr, HORGAN and trialists.

• So who currently appears to be injured? Scowen, Vokes, Wheeler, Ward, McCarthy?

• Bit concerning that Scowen, Wheeler, Vokes, McCarthy etc aren't seeing any minutes, must all be injured but doubt we'll be told. No Taf today either. Hopefully not another to add to our growing pre season injury list.

• Maybe

Max

Pattenden Keogh Grimmer kvh

McCleary Young Breckin Leahy Hanlan

Taylor

GMac and Hanlan turning 451 to 433 occasionally...or something else.

Seemed to be all manner of defenders at the weekend and not many today. Decent side for game at this level hopefully.

• You can't be on the fence with Horgan surely?

You either think he was a space finding marvel, a player who magnificently fused work rate and artistry, a player who was utterly wasted by our style of play at the time.

Or that he was an international attacking mid who barely ever scored, assisted or ever got a decent cross in,

• Pattenden has started really brightly, put a few good tackles in, worked hard, and of course now he's gone off injured after (probably) pulling something.

• 1-0 up apparently

• Jedward in goal

• McCleary for us on 42 minutes, per Wealdstone twitter

• How's this for a potential signing? Get your chequebook out :) magnificent.

Football not bad either, passing it around nicely, couldn't quite see the goal from down the other end, potential worldy. Quite a few subs at half time including Horgan

• No Mellor?

Is he injured?

Just thought I would join in.

• I’ve picked up a couple of pounds just looking at it.

• Centre forward second half trialist goes by the name of Rich if that aids with any sleuthing

• Any word on how we're playing?

• Not well, but it is 15 mins after the final whistle.

Lots of subs second half dulled it a bit tbh, decent first half. Horgan looked very sharp, hit the bar with a shot and a great looking cross to nobody in particular after going past a few, so no doubt it proves what people thought of him be that positive or negative. Thought the Illusive Jack Young played well.

• A few thoughts.

Good to see Grimmer, Hanlan and Forino back. Still a few notable absentees though.

We played 3-4-2-1 in both halves.

It was ok but not too much to write home about really. Fairly standard pre-season fare.

Jack Young did himself no harm at all. Looks like he’s enjoying Matt’s greater emphasis on keeping possession. Great to see a midfielder wanting to get on the ball and create something. Also put himself about. May have played himself into the starting Xl tonight given Josh Scowen’s absence.

Much discussion earlier today about who will play on the left side of a back three. In the first half it was Luke Leahy. He was excellent but I think his future is in the midfield and he was filling in to help Matt balance the side tonight. Interestingly in the second half Chris Forino played on the left side. Fairly clearly Matt was trying something out as JJ played in the middle - you can’t ever imagine them playing that way around in a proper match - and was seemingly done to give Forino a chance to play on that left hand side. He did ok.

Of the new lads, Keogh obviously knows what he’s doing and looked the part. They’ll be more to come from Breckin, Taylor, Vincent-Young and Boyes. None of them really stood out but Boyes got an assist.

Tjay added some energy and class when he came on and we looked more dangerous as a result.

We saw about 4 or 5 trialists in all. None stood out significantly, although it’s always hard. Tetek was neat but largely quiet in midfield, Taylor Clark did ok at RWB which I don’t think is his actual position. Trialist D from Saturday came on. He’s worth another look, could be a decent alternative No.9 as the season goes on.

• Taylor looked lively in the first half. Young put in an impressive, mature performance in midfield, best player on the pitch.

Triallist D had two good chances to add to his goal against Aldershot (which he created himself). Looks very raw but could be something to work with. Twitter talk suggesting it could be Richard Kone of Athletic Newham - seems he had a trial at Colchester in seasons before.

• I'm happy for Jack Young to hear he put in a shift and played well. Hope this is his season to come good for us

• Looking at pictures of Kone on the internet, it’s almost certainly him.

• There’s something there with Trialist D, lots to like and gets about a bit. Taylor Clark looked reasonably solid too and another one to probably add to our squad.

Have to say I was impressed with Jack Young and I hope he gets opportunities this season. Will be interesting to see whether we proceed with Dejan Tetek as personally think his signing might block Young’s pathway and I’d prefer that we see more of Jack this season.

Good to see Tjay too, hope he’s going to have a big season for us and hope he can translate his positive play into goals/goal creation.

• Agreed about Trialist D - had two good chances tonight which he maybe should have hit the target with, but both were ones he created himself. Good feet for the first, and good strength to hold off his man for the second. Would be worth a B team contract and a Papa John's game or two imo.

• https://twitter.com/Athleticnewham/status/1680307401327517697

Certainly a raw talent that could be developed. Well worth taking a chance on

• Jack Young was highly regarded at Newcastle. A colleague of mine who used to coach in their academy couldn’t believe that he wasn’t getting into our first team squad on a regular basis last season. I think his long contract reflects the belief that he’s still developing but could become a good player for us.