Skip to content

Match day thread: Wealdstone

Comments

• If no-one comes in for him and MB thinks he can do a job in and amongst our new players and he's willing to take a pay cut, I would call that a result.

If he gets a pay as you play contract, I would call that a result.

If our manager is helping out a former player while he is in limbo. I would call that a result.

But if he comes round here on our grass, running about angrily, kicking our best new players and demanding to play in friendlies on £1000 a week. I would say Oi! Horgan NOOOOO!

• I think it’s great that Horgan is training with us. I’d give him another year, but even if he ends up somewhere else it’s a good thing to help him out.

• We had Darius Charles play as an anonymous 'Trialist x' during the 19-20 pre-season after he'd been in the squad the previous season but barely played due to injury.

• When prospective players see (or hear about) us treating ex-players with respect and generosity it’s another reason to sign for Wycombe rather than another club who might be interested.

• Doubt we'll ever see any of Fred's mates sign for us then.

• I'd have Horgan back, I think he'd suit Blooms style a lot more. We might end up with the player we all thought we were getting in the first place

• Lovely bloke but no end product. The wage budget needs to be spent on younger players.

• I thought Horgan had signed for an Irish club but maybe I made that one up?

• I also thought he'd gone to Dundalk. Must have just been a rumour.

• Similarly, GA is giving a trial today to Dominic Gape.

It’s the Wycombe way. Costs nothing, enhances your reputation.

There were times when GMac and the Horgs were almost unplayable together. If the style of play is less agricultural, he could certainly do a job.

• I wouldn’t mind him back if the salary was right. I think he could contribute greatly as a squad member.

• A real good player if he can avoid injury. I really liked Dom, a real scrapper and a Wycombe legend.

• Funnily enough one of those games being against Wealdstone where he impressed

• Gape signing on for a championship club would be incredible scenes after seemingly struggling to get moves to teams below us.

• Yep, i'm amazed seemingly so many want him back after a couple of fairly middling seasons.

You can't put it all down to "agricultural" football, that didn't seem to stop McCleary who has more class.

• I would be beyond chuffed for Dom if he could catch on at QPR even for a season. I have a feeling that he did not get signed by Stockport because they were already fairly well set at that position, from what their fans were saying.

• They've surely not got 3 or 4 better players than him though, that'd be a real rich cast at that level.

• If Blooms style of play is having a player with 1 goal in 85 appearances and barely an assist in that time too then I'm concerned.

• It baffles me why people put so much weight on assists, a metric which is largely dependent on another player's execution.

• I do think Horgan will be looked on as underperforming. I really like(d) him as a player and at his best alongside GMac when we clicked we did look like a top League One team. I thought his reading of the game was pretty good and he did use to make good incisive runs, more often than not without the ball admittedly.

Did he contribute enough to the team to justify his place? Ultimately probably not (and more so if we factor rumoured wages into account) but I'm with whoever it was above who said that we missed a bit of what he could bring to the team in the last few months of the season. I do think when he was on the pitch he had the capability to keep defenders thinking. Those last few matches last season we seriously didn't really cause any one any problems.

• Daryl Horgan is a model professional and it's the least we can do, to help him get fit. I do wish he'd been given more games by GA in his time here, but I accept I may have had a blind spot (caused by the dazzling of the sunshine coming from the direction of his arse, presumably), and @bookertease has, not for the first time, provided a more accurate analysis of his contribution than any biased account I could give.

• I think there tends to be some correlation, though - at the top level De Bruyne is more or less the assist king, and he is very very good and making chances for his teammates. I suppose at our level you could argue that one could create more good chances that are not buried as clinically, which would make some sense.

• Someone's not keeping up.

Attacking mids shouldn't be measured on goals or assists! It's all about space creation.

Also Gaz's industrial football clearly didn't suit him either. Under Bloomball, which @Wendoverman promises me will be a fusion of Brazil 1970 and Gormania, he'll be an absolute assists behemoth.

I'm so sure of it that if it doesn't happen @Wendoverman will serve a 1month suspension from the gasroom.

• edited July 2023

@Malone I don't remember thinking or even promising that...but if I did...it must be true. (Perhaps my meds need checking)

Did it get my usual one buy to rent thumb down?

On past history, lose a couple of games and I will suspend myself from the Gasroom on mental health grounds!

• The biggest problem with Horgan was that he came in as the big marquee signing, a starting international winger, who people remembered as tearing us to bits for a previous club.

The reality was that game was against Bean at right back, he's a winger in name only, and was much more the solid workmanlike type player, rather than the dazzling winger some hoped for.

He always had a tough level to live up to.

• I can't remember if it was on your @wendoverman account or one of your dummy accounts

• @DSpart?

• I think there is to an extent, but he was one of our top creators - we just weren't clinical enough for large periods.

• He wasn't the player he should have been for us, but I don't think the assists angle is a fair line of criticism.

• Fair enough. Horgan has three "what-ifs" for me:

1. That miss against Rotherham (excuse me while I punch myself in the face for five minutes before resuming the post).
    2. That "offside" versus Derby.
    3. He played a part in the stirring 4-3 win against Morecambe, and it looked like we were gelling with that lineup, only for him to go away on international duty and lose his place.

Overall I am on the fence, though - I think he will always be divisive.