Skip to content

Match day thread: Fleetwood

Comments

• You recall entirely correctly. I'm delighted the new management team are now working around his limitations which means he can concentrate on what he's good at.

• You are so correct and let’s never forget that Gaz is the man who created this culture and signed these players. Nick is a great lad, but that said there isn’t a bed egg amongst the whole squad.

• edited March 2023

Wait, I missed Wycombe Wanderers playing out from the back?!

• The flick to get it at the right height, mid turn and then to finish the turn and strike the ball all in one action. Not only this sublime movement but he then slotted it in the corner at speed along the floor. The keeper had no chance.

Scott Brown knows class when he sees it and couldn't praise Vokes enough in his post match interview.

• Let's not write Posh off too soon, they are only 3 points behind us having played the same number of games and with a goal difference that would swing in their favour if we lose a game while they win. Outside of our two head to heads, they have so far outperformed us this season.

If we can both get a run going, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Bolton and Derby could both miss out. Difficult as it is to admit, it would be nice if Oxford could pick up a rare point on Saturday (just one, I'm not getting carried away). Posh also host Derby in a couple of weeks. Overall, I feel that realistically we can only afford to lose 3 more games.

• edited March 2023

It shows how little I know, and the analytics and statistics will no doubt prove me wrong but just using my bespectacled eyes I thought we had been playing some pretty decent football on the deck with far fewer stoppages (while Opposition teams resorted to hoofing) in our five game winning run under Gareth. I cannot say I've seen a massive change under the Bloomfield Revolution...but if there is one, I'm all for it.

For me, Max has been a calm and collected presence...albeit while being terrible at goalkicks...since day one. Great signing.

• I think Burton will have a bit of a challenge getting Saturday's game on...

• Six injured players last night. That's a whole bench excluding the keeper

Scowen

Taf

Obita

Willis

Gape

Thompson

Three who would definitely start and three who would be pushing for a start or coming off the bench for minutes during the game.

Hopefully get 3/4 of these back soon for the run in.

• I watched Scott Brown's interview. Very measured, very honest. Well played him. They could have scored for sure and did have pressure at the start of the second half. No doubts. Didn't blame anyone for the result.

Bit trippy with the hair though

One thought from his comments and that was about their formation with the 2 wingers. It's really hard when you have 2 really decent wingers (their 23 was a good player) when those 2 wingers have to constantly look over their shoulder at GMac and Brandon. This is Gormania football. You have attacking players, well look at our attacking players and see who blinks.

• edited March 2023

Haha, exactly my thoughts on the hair. But it makes sense that he was, presumably, bald by choice...?

• I know we have very little room for error to get in the playoffs, but I would rather be the hunter than the hunted. We literally have nothing to lose right now, as we can't get relegated and are not currently in the playoffs. If we fall short it won't be the agony of dropping out of a position we held all year. Whereas if we make it in, no-one will be happy to see us!

• Trying to work out if that'd be good or not for us.

We do have a few out, with Scowen for certain, but maybe Taf ready to come back for Bristol Rovers.

But would it instead jam the game in between other games later on and cause more problems?

• The way our season has been we'd just have a different set of key players out for the rearranged fixture.

• Yes, probably best to get it played, as it sounds like Scowen is available anyway.

And there's no real indication any of the rest will be back particularly soon either.

No-one really wants another midweek away too.

• Talking injuries, both Gape and Thomson have been injured for long periods over the last couple of seasons. Can't helping wondering hw far they are both off having to face up tp the same sort of decision that Alfie did,

• The high press from early on was crucial for me. Looked a change from the Exeter game and I wonder if that surprised Fleetwood.

”We (don’t) know what to expect from Wycombe.”

• The thing that must have surprised them the most is the almost complete lack of long punts and head tennis. Certainly surprised me.

• They're different to each other, let alone Mawson.

Mawson had no cartilage left in one knee, and said he was limited to training once a week. He was told in no uncertain terms to not run again after leaving the last appointment. It wasn't just a stop football decision, it was a future health decision.

• Whatever the problem is with Gape, the fact he's hardly played in the last three (?) seaons is a big issue, for him and for us.

• Dom has been with us 6 years now and when he does play rarely let's us down. I like him as a player and character around the club.

He has another year on his contract but his lack of playing time and wage is a concern. Over the last three seasons he's only managed to play 90 minutes on 11 occasions out of 141 games and been involved in some part of 38 League games including the Playoffs last season.

• Bloody hell. Those stats really tell a story don't they.

• It would be interesting to see Tommo’s stats as well if that is at all possible @wwfcblue

• Last night's performance was a delight to watch. The passing at times was sumptuous. I think Blooms has told them to go out and play like the Harlem Globetrotters. Yes, be pragmatic, but attack with flair and panache and entertain the crowd. If the Fleetwood game is an indication of the new approach, then we could, unbelievably, be heading towards even greater times. Of course, my excitement may be totally delusional.

• I agree - that was part of why the win was so satisfying. Instead of Blooms being way behind GA in managerial chops, there is that chance that Blooms may have a very attractive personal spin on managing while still maintaining the club culture which has served us so well.

• Over the same period Thommo has played the full 90 on 35 occasions and been involved in 65 games.

Both totals of 141 games include to the end of this season, so realistically it is only 129 games they could have played up to this point.

Will we see either of them before the end of the season? I hope so.

Scowen has only been here since the start of last season, that's 83 League games. He's played in 63 and played the full 90 in 60.

• This site is quite decent for appearance stats, although doesn't break it down into minutes.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/wycombe-wanderers/appearances/2020-2021/dominic-gape/398112

Gape has made 12 appearances this year and the 3 seasons before, 16, 16 and 28 (72)

Thompson is 4, 32, 34 ,21 (91)

Hard to get a full list of injuries but it feels like Thompson has had 2 major injuries, whereas Gape has had a lot more individual injuries, which have ruled him out for a lot longer.

@ReturnToSenda might have a better insight.

• I'm sure those appearance figures are right. Transfermarkt seems pretty good for injuries.

• Just for clarity my figures are purely League and Playoff based. Not added figures for FA Cup, League Cup or Pizza Cup.

• Yep, I aimed to add to your post, not dispute it 🤤