Skip to content

Match day thread: Fleetwood

Comments

• 6 off Bolton with two games in hand too! We are fully in this.

• Jacobson had a really good game too, he still adds an element of creativity going forwards.

• edited March 2023

Still want it to be overtaking Derby on the final day. The more controversial the better considering how Derby survived a couple of seasons ago.

Give me Tjay De Barr Hand Of God'ing the ball into the net in the 95th minute.

• They were fifth before tonight in the form table covering the last six matches.

Superb and very timely performance by Wycombe just when we were starting to think the thinness of the squad would militate against making the playoffs. Garath McCleary being fit was a bonus and I know I am biased but I thought Freeman did an excellent (if very different) job in place of Scowen.

All very encouraging.

• Just saw your comment. I refer the honourable gentleman to my post of 9.42.

• So much to enjoy in that performance, we played some wonderful stuff against decent opposition. With the injuries and lack of depth we really needed that starting XI to turn up tonight and they absolutely did. A really strong showing from everyone, no-one had a poor game.

Special mention to Max, as Fleetwood did have a couple of spells where they put us under the cosh, but he again made the big saves when needed, the one from Marriot was a fantastic effort and vital in terms of the match.

So pleased for Blooms to have his first win and to have a showing like that under his belt. Will give the management team and players a real boost. Hopefully we can get some of our injured players back soon and give these play offs a real go, we're still very much involved.

• Anyone else excited for the post match interviews purely to see Blooms' beaming face?

• Love it! All seems right in the world after that.

• Really pleased for Blooms, that's a massive win and must be a huge relief for him.

Great performance from so many but Wing was awesome, he controlled the midfield so much so I forgot about Scowen!

We played some really nice neat football with some long balls mixed in when needed and crucially with an end product.

The future is bright.

• That was Fleetwood's 5th game in 15 days. Accumulated mileage 583 vs our 3 games in 15 days and 180 miles.

Wonder how much this takes it's toll.

• Really good performance and some dare I say champagne football in the last 20?

A last 5 or 10 mins way more enjoyable than your average freezing cold midweeker for certain!

• I lost count of the amount of times he got 'nuts'd'. I bet he saw GMac go off and thought 'thank God for that'. Only for Chem to tear him apart to the point I felt sorry for the guy - almost. Well done him for making a living a professional footballer as he looked like a competition winner.

• I don’t want to get carried away. They were utterly appalling - even on occasions when we weren’t pressing. Scowen missing is huge. We need to be a lot better against Barnsley in a few weeks.

• We are bad when we lose and the opposition is bad when we win. Let’s enjoy the moment great win, got at and up em from the start didn’t let them settle and ran out comfortable winners against a team that rarely loses by more than one goal!

• Perhaps we made one of the form teams in the division look ‘utterly appalling.’

• Remember the days when McCarthy used to bomb on a little too often and Grimmer had to keep screaming at him to get back? Does appear to me that Blooms wants him to play more cautiously, which I’m fine with personally.

• There is always that tension between any team truly playing badly and being made to play badly by the opposition.

• I thought it was a really good performance from a line-up that worried me as neither Freeman nor Wing are Scowen shaped. We played some really good football on the deck and the only stoppage of any length was for their player. Wheeler and Wing really have found their feet this season. Hard to single anyone out. We rode our luck but looked to carry on attacking even at two up. What a team. I realise that expert opinion was we had no chance of the playoffs after ten games but we still seem to be in the mix. Oh and it was very cold. Win at Burton and we can start looking up again.

• Always good to hear from you, @Wendoverman!

• Special mention for Chris Forino tonight, an old head on young shoulders. He didn't put a foot wrong and showed calmness and awareness beyond his years. My man of the match though it was a good team performance all round.

• I’m not sure I can handle all these changes.

Flowing football, no time wasting, accurate injury updates.

They’ll be selling chips in the kiosks next.

• It smelt like someone was eating chips on the terrace during the second half. I was very envious as I'd barely eaten all day.

Maybe the visiting fans did get chips to go with their cod afterall. At least they didn't get any points though.

• Would you drop Freeman if Scowen starts ? Or more appropriately, do you think MB would ? I personally would have Scowen on the bench. He’s had a knackering season and was wearing black strapping (?) on his thigh right from the kickoff on Saturday.

• Is it poetic justice that their #26 was called Rooney ?

• For anyone interested, we are now 2/1 to make the play-offs and 16/1 to win them. Derby still favourites. Last week we weren’t even in the equation as some bookings no longer offered odds on us. Shrews are now 200/1 to win them which is probably worth a quid or two as we all know that anything can happen in though 5 games.

• Barnsley and Ipswich have some brutal runs coming up too. It currently seems we can only catch Bolton and/or Derby, but both of those high flyers will have some really tough games.

Plymouth's schedule actually opens up after they play Barnsley. If they win that game I think they will go up.

• edited March 2023

So is the correct terminology going to be 'Bloomball' (as per Phil and I think somewhere else on this thread)? It's good to get the era identified early!