Skip to content

Match day thread: Fleetwood

Comments

• Feels like a massive game tonight - win and we'll feel right in amongst it (and start eating into Bolton's advantage). Draw/lose and our route to the playoffs narrows further, especially if Barnsley or Derby pick up points.

• Still don't like their badge, the black and white letters and the shading on the anchor give my eyes ADHD.

3 points tonight and wrap up warm everyone.

COYB!

• A real must win game indeed if we are to continue our aspirations for a play off place, although I do think injuries to players is going to play a massive part in our run in, especially the busy period around Easter. But - football is a funny old game, so who knows.

• Tough game tonight against a form team

They struggled against Cheltenham away on Saturday and did not register a shot on target. Brown says he will be rotating the squad for tonight’s game after three matches in six days.

• I can't watch tonight. The last five times that's happened, going back three months, we've won four, drawn one, scored nine and conceded none 👀

• I must admit I am fearful tonight. Hope I’m proven to be silly.

• Really important we get a win tonight. Hopefully Scowen’s knock wasn’t too serious 🙏

• Anyone heard any second hand injury news or rumours?

• LX1LX1
    edited March 2023

Oxfam is situated on Marlow High Street, a stone's throw from a varety of bistros, so you can expect the rumours and gossip to be rife.

• I generally like to be optimistic of our chances, but I do worry about us tonight. You only need to go back a few months to see how we can sometimes struggle without Scowen and Fleetwood can be very well organised and difficult to beat. Hopefully someone can conjure up a big performance for us.

I can't make tonight annoyingly, so it's Wanderers TV for me. COYB!

• @wwfcblue underrated comment that.

I've seen a few people suggest we "should" be winning this one, even though we've clearly dropped a gear in all the changeover, and are facing a team in good form.

Freezing night, low half interested crowd, northern team, what could go wrong!

• We lost at home to Fleetwood the last time we got promoted from L1.

But seriously, lose tonight and the playoffs will feel a long way away.

• Quite delightful.

Oxford could be in the relegation zone as soon as Saturday.

• Can’t quite see the full table there - who is bottom?

• I’ll be the guy walking around the empty rows in the top of the FA Stand for 90 mins trying to stay warm.

Who is on comms with @bluntphil do we have any ideas?

• Was our when it started snowing a little earlier. Thankfully that's stopped. Will be a coldun for sure.

A win will glow everyone's hearts though!

• edited March 2023

I never feel good about Tuesday games, though I think our record is probably a little better than I have in my head. As someone has said, it is usually northern opponents, and a tricky matchup. It feels like another 1-1 to me.

That all being said, funny old game and all that - maybe we will zig when we should zag under Blooms.

• Their manager apparently is certain we'll be playing 3-5-2 and knows what to expect.

As we can barely scrape 2 centre backs together at the moment and need JJ at left back, not convinced.

• Predicted man of the match: Garath McCleary. He has been more and more back to his usual self lately, and I feel like he is due a game to "go off". He also got sent off early against Fleetwood in the away match, so there would be a delicious irony to him being the key man tonight.

No pressure GMac! (Seriously, no pressure - my predictions are awful).

• Would be surprised if GMac plays, he didn't look great when limping off on Saturday. A shame, as he has been on very good form recently and was playing well again on Saturday. In fact, after surviving the 1st half, I thought we were looking much stronger early in the 2nd half. McCleary's injury seemed to swing the game back Exeter's way.

Certainly if he is fit, I'll feel a bit more confident. I just get the feeling it could be a very patched up team tonight. Recalling Ward from Hungerford suggests we could be short for tonight and the forthcoming matches.

• For a game as important as this the best thing to do is go on a random betting site and see what they think.

Wycombe 1 Fleetwood 0

• edited March 2023

Ah, good point. I was so focused on Scowen being the injury concern that I forgot GMac went off injured too.

This could be the threadbare team to end all threadbare teams, the way things are shaping up.

• edited March 2023

Boomer cliche time…….

Q. “yes but can he do it on a cold Tuesday night?”

A. Not if he is tucked up in his rather nice house with the fire on watching Wanderers tv!

That’s both me and GMac that is.

er not together you understand.

• Could see Dave Wates on the bench and coming on to score an Essendoh’esque winner.

• So what are we guessing for the team, for the outfield 10 - something like the below?

Grimmer

McCarthy

Forino

Jacobson

Wheeler

Wing

Freeman

Campbell

Hanlan

Vokes

• Ward is in the 18

• He's due another appearance tbh, cruelly robbed of his only senior goal.

• edited March 2023