Skip to content

Match day thread: Fleetwood

Comments

• For an up and down season, we have had some extremely satisfying wins. Derby is still my favorite win, but given the surrounding context this one is right up there with Bolton, Barnsley and the Peterborough double. To think I am not even putting Ipswich or the Oxford double up in that group speaks volumes.

• Interesting listening to the post-match from Scott Brown. It wasn’t your standard game of bingo and he actually spoke well of Sam Vokes.

”We just couldn’t get the ball into the back of the net at that point and then [Sam] Vokes’ chance is a great finish; you can’t take anything away from that as it’s a quick touch and a top finish – I think he was the difference between the two sides tonight with his hold up play and link up play.”

Blooms’ post match was just a joy to listen to. He speaks so well but so intelligently too. The way he was describing what it’s like for the development boys being involved in the match day squad, you could tell it was taking him back to his early days.

• well worth coming out on a cold night. A feeling that the players and Blooms are now on the same, slightly different, page to Gaz. Forino was outstanding but I didn’t think there was a poor performance out there.

Roll on Saturday

• All round team performance, very tough for MOTM decisions.

Same again at Burton please Bloomers

• He’s our stand out player this season.

We have another game on Tuesday though and Barnsley a week Saturday.

We will probably see some squad rotation on Saturday and Tuesday.

• The stats from last night make interesting reading. We had 22 shots at goal, with 5 on target, Whereas against Exeter on Saturday, it was 11 and 1.

As a newcomer to the party, I'm no expert on football tactics, but it seems to me that we need to be maintaining that kind of attacking level if we are going to get the 26+ points we need from the remaining 12 games.

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, Burton away on Saturday is another must win.

• This shouldn't influence anything but I get very nervous when someone with a minor injury then gets rested, see Alfie's precaution and Gavin Grants cold.

• I could be wrong but I think Tjay achieved the near impossible feat of committing more fouls than touches of the ball i.e. 1-0.

Thoroughly enjoyable evening with special mention for Max’s brilliant reflex save down to his left which set up the win.

• He clearly wasn’t fully fit on Saturday (or at Shrewsbury). I think he’d benefit from a break. I know Fleetwood were tired but we did very well and played some blooming marvellous football without him. Don’t get me wrong, Eric. I think he has been our most important player this season but he’s not indispensable. Thank goodness.

• Very good performance. I thought we really bounced back well from a slightly flat game Saturday.

Great to see the high press in the first half. I thought the front 4 of Wheeler, Hanlan, Vokes and Gmac really made it difficult for Fleetwood to get much rhythm.

If we can get performances like that from Vokes until the end of the season we have a great chance.

• We looked a good side playing good progressive on the ground football I thought and boy don't we work hard.

If we can keep that team together in the summer (possibly big if), things look reasonably positive I think.

One slightly bum note. Was it Revell who was on loan to us in a relegation scrap only to be recalled and then sit on his parent club's bench for the rest of the season. We may well have just done the same thing to Hungerford Town. Just because they are non league doesn't mean they don't matter. Perhaps Ward could have earned them a vital extra two points last night. Recalls should never happen lightly IMHO.

That aside though, the king is dead, long live the king. Lets see where the journey takes us.

• Chris Forino…outstanding prospect. His aerial prowess, his speed, his control, his strength, his anticipation - he has been an incredible watch the last few games. Has the potential, without doubt, to be a Premier League player. What more can be said about Max - what a signing - what a keeper. Well worth getting frozen for last night.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Pre-match was hoping we could overcome the tumultuous last few weeks. Thought we should have had Exeter out of sight first half on Saturday, and was a little worried the way Fleetwood started the 2nd half last night that we were going to see a repeat.

Scowen was a huge miss but yet again Lewis Wing was there to fill the enormous whole he left and gave another brillaint performance. Nick Freeman and David Wheeler also working extremely hard.

The switch to a back four made and midfield three made us look so much more solid. More of the same please Matty.

Forino was excellent, however, he needs to stop running 30 yards to get involved as we can ill afford him being sent off and banned. Was lucky last night Fleetwoods players didn't really kick off on either occasion.

Overall the "hope" is back and we could be on for another amazing finish to the season!

• Depends how he is. If Scowen is fit he's arguably the first name on the team sheet.

• Good win for you last night lads, I was hoping the Cods would pinch a point off you but that wins really made the run in exciting. I think it’s us you and Derby now for that sixth spot. Barnsley are pushing Ipswich and Plymouth for third spot now so I think it’s down to us three. Our next two are daunting with Ipswich at home on Saturday then Wednesday away the following Friday so if you manage to beat Burton at the weekend and we slip up it’s all to play for. After that we’ve got on paper a fairly steady run in with nobody in the top half to play but of course due to the Pizza cup final against Plymouth we’ve only 3 league games in April which gives you a chance to catch up on games played. So it’s all there to play for and I suppose it’s all down to who wants it and players staying fit. I hope it’s you and us and Derby miss out then the two Wanderers can potentially have a battle in a Wembley final? 😉

• Hard to mark stark comparisons after just 3 games, but I've not seen us so keen to keep possession in ages. If a move broke down, we were all too happy to knock it back to Max, and try again.

Wing was outstanding. When given a bit of space, he is fantastic at keeping us ticking over, and is willing to turn and try a killer ball, which so many midfielders we have had lack.

• Impressed as I was by Wing and Freeman last night, Scowen and Wing have to be first choice midfield pair if fit. Scowen is immense and like Vokes (as @eric_plant has pointed out) we are very lucky to watch them playing for Wycombe.

• Vokes' goal was one of those which just looks totally out of place at this level. The speed of thought of a Championship player. Give him the ball to feet and good things happen!

• Over a match where our style of play was noticeably different from what preceded it over the past few years the biggest stand out for me was Stryjek being made to roll out the ball to the defence, or take a short kick to a fullback hanging deep. That allowed us to play out from the back and build through the middle. I've said a few times I think it's no coincidence that Vokes is having a bad season having to rely on very poor long balls from Stryjek. Yesterday showed what he can do when he gets the ball played to him short and clever from midfield. And to further illustrate my point, Max reverted to long balls when we got close to the final whistle. The penultimate one went straight to their keeper, allowing Fleetwood to attack. The final one was miskicked and went to a Fleetwood player in our half. Lee Harrison returning may be one of the best things Bloomfield has done. The more he can work with Max the better the player will be. He's a very good shot stopper. Take distribution away from him, like most of last night, and we instantly become a better team.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited March 2023
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • As @aloysius rightly points out, the long hopeful punts upfield have all but been eliminated. It’s no coincidence that Vokes is, for the most part, getting ‘service’ on the deck. As I remarked elsewhere, the last three games have, in my characteristically humble opinion, been his best of the season.

I really “get it” now @eric_plant and it augers very well for the run-in.

• If I recall correctly you once described Max as one of the worst goalkeepers in League One.

• Watched the interview with Nick Freeman and that goes to show why the continuity decision with appointing Matt Bloomfield was right. He mentioned that Josh had supported him, he totally bought into his roll, he was measured and humble. GA created such a culture at Wycombe that any outsider coming in (a la Alan Smith) would have been catastrophic on and off the pitch. Nick deserves more minutes but has never sulked when he doesn't get them, and never lets us down when he is needed. A total team player in a squad of team players.

• It’s probably because I’m still basking in the warm glow of last night, but I’d be happy to start the same eleven at Burton and unleash a fit and rested Josh Scowen on Bristol Rovers and Barnsley.