Skip to content

Players out of contract this summer

Comments

• If it is of any consolation, Liam Bridcutt started just four games in all of 2022 and hasn’t played a single minute in 2023.

Some might call it karma.

• Kaikai played RWB against Wigan & Cheltenham and McCarthy played against Accrington all with Pendlebury at RM - whatever happened to Kaikai & Pendlebury?

That said Freeman was having an excellent game against Lincoln before getting injured, in a challenge adjudged to not even be a foul as I recall. The ref was wrong BTW.

• Was on trial with us under Waddock, maybe?

We didn’t sign him and then he had a very successful period at Brighton.

• According to the text commentary Bridcutt got a yellow card “for a bad foul”. The usual Ofsted style “one fits all” description for anything from a tugged shirt to a dangerous uncontrolled lunge like the one on Freeman.

• Oh Adams.

Had given up on any idea of staying up by about the 1st of October of the season.

Deciding that Simpson and Currie had "given up", despite them being two of our most beloved players at the time.

Man was an absolute menace.

• What everyone else sees in Freeman.

• Absolutely iconic pass. There is a strong argument we would not have been promoted without him, as he laid on two last minute assists for winners in the opening salvo of games.

Of course, we might not have been in L1 to begin with, without his clever pass to release Kasket down the left away to Southend, when we finally broke that awful run in 18/19 and avoided relegation.

• One of the all time great assists that one, Zidane-esque.

That's a good discussion topic actually, best ever Wycombe assists. I'll kick off with the reverse pass from Garner to Carroll at Wembley to set up the better of Davie's two goals that day. He must have had eyes in the back of his head to pick him out

• Keith Scott’s cross for Westy’s diving header at Wembley v Kidderminster.

• Mawson to Forino at Oxford this season was special

• edited May 2023

Stewart for Paul Smyth on the opening day of 2019/20

• Paul Hayes chip pass in the one / two for Mawsons goal at Luton

• Myles Weston’s cross for Thompson header at Spurs

• edited May 2023

Not technically an assist, but Stocko winning that penalty v Bristol City

• That Freeman one is my all time favourite Wycombe assist. I had to watch it in slow motion multiple times to even work out how he'd done it. The fact that Kashket is coming in from behind him, the no-look pass itself, the perfect weighting, the fact that he takes out 3 defenders with it, the side-foot technique - everything about it is perfection. The fact that he then casually strolls away knowing full well that Scotty is going to put it away is the cherry on the top.

Garner's pass for Carroll is my second favourite.

• JJ deserves a special mention for a litany of corners that required poking in from about half a foot out.

• Also not an assist but Allsop’s long ball to Fred for the second goal against Oxford. I could watch the Oxford player not following up the poor back pass, Allsop’s perfectly aimed huge kick upfield, and Fred getting cleaned out by their keeper all day long.

• What a pass, but equally as much credit to (is it Kashket?) for the composure in finishing.

The finish is actually world class.

Without that, the "assist" doesn't exist and never gets mentioned again........which is why "assists" are a load of BS.

• Horgan's assist for Obita - WWFC v Sheff Weds, Apr 2022...

• I always liked Gape's for Tyson in the 3-2 victory at Kenilworth Road. Outside of the boot and perfectly placed and paced.

• I understand the perspective to a degree. But would the goal exist without the assistance? Some goals are unassisted, but for those that are...

• Of course assists add something, awarding all credit for goals to the hanger and not the crosser makes no more sense than rewarding goalies for clean sheets as if the defence had nothing to do with it.

• I happened to be in the Adams Park car park a couple of times last week just as the players were arriving for whatever they were up to. On both occasions Mccarthy and Freeman were sharing a vehicle. I'm hoping Jason's car sharing buddy remains the same for next season. On a funnier note, Grimmer got out of a passenger's seat and went to chivalrously open the side door of the chap behind him. He was obviously fully charged as that Scottish squeal accompanied the static shock which pulsed through him.

• So with most immediate departures announced with Gape leaving (one or two others negotiating still?), how many squad slots do we have to fill for next season?

• Are we slightly worried that it's now 3 players who have been offered a deal and chosen to go elsewhere?

Gape, Freeman and Wing?

Or do we think for the first 2 at least, the terms offered suggested a mere squad role?

• Certainly grist for some people's mill, but i don't think so. Wing has almost certainly got opportunities in the Championship, Freeman wants first team football which he doesn't think he'll get here, and Gape's injury record means he can't have been offered very competitive terms.

• edited May 2023

The only reason I thought Wing was staying is if he was under contract, which it turned out he wasn't.

My guesses for landing spots (based on nothing but slight hints and relative abilities):

Freeman: One of the promoted sides from L2 who want that experience level to kick on. He is from Stevenage and has played for Leyton Orient before (though with mixed reviews). Northampton are far enough south to be close to home. Other possibilities: Cheltenham, Cambridge, Charlton.

Wing: Lower Champo or higher L1 in the north. Barnsley, Rotherham, Wednesday, given his previous with two of those.

Gape: I think he'll be fishing in the same pond as Freeman. L2 promoted sides or L1 southern midtable teams looking to consolidate.

• I do think Thompson and Gape could end up in League 2. Their fitness records are bad enough to justify most League 1 sides avoiding them. The small squad sizes in this division don’t help their cause.