Skip to content

World Cup 2022

Comments

• No doubt Joseff Morrell, the diminutive Welsh midfielder (5’6” @Malone!), will feature for Portsmouth on Sunday. He has played about 30 times for Wales including this evening’s second half substitute appearance.

• Iran players were going down at the strangest angles to try and buy a penalty by the end. One chap did a rather enthralling impression of a downhill skier when given a light shoulder rub by a U.S. defender.

• Once Cheney had finished playing his catelogue of hits, what did they do to fill in The remaining 11 minutes of half time?

• This is silly talk. Like the time someone suggested Lionel Ritchie played at Ap

• edited November 2022

So into the knockouts - Senegal will notbe easy but we start favourites, then looks likely to be France - my tip to win the whole thing.

Difficult team choices for Southgate now - Keep same shape? If so Trippier or Walker at RB, Foden and Rashford over Saka (very unlucky) Sterling and Grealish?, presumably Henderson keeps out Philips?.

Starting to enjoy this WC.

• I might be an ex-RGS boy, @micra, but wasn't into foreign languages poems and rubbish, science was my thing.

Reminds me of a song ...

https://youtu.be/Y90LT7-4yv4

• B*ollocks! Just bought tickets for Lincoln away last week, before considering the World Cup. Potential Quarter-Final against France starts 2 hours after Lincoln game finishes. It's 3 hours home from Lincoln...

Would be great to do both, hoping Lincoln pull the game forward an hour or two!

• I think Walker has to play at RB as Senegal's only real threat is pace out wide. Stop Sarr and it should be an easy win.

• You misunderstand, young @Twizz. Nem con, if I’ve got it right, had nothing whatsoever to do with scholarship ! I just remember it being said at some meeting about 60 years ago when everyone present voted in favour of something. I assumed at the time that it meant ‘none against’ but I may be wrong.

No, what I had in mind was much more lavatorial. In keeping with your comment on an unpleasant term used by @Kim_il_Swan yesterday, I thought you might have commented on the passing of motions.

I downloaded the video for which you provided a link. What a horrible din!! I managed about 30 seconds.

• Strewth cobber! the Socceroos have only bloody made the last 16.

• No way was that a penalty

• Justice done

• Absolute daft penalty call.

• Watching Poland is like watching a slightly better quality Wycombe, senseless long balls up to a target man, with no one taking a chance & running beyond him for the knock down.

• In the other game I am unsure how Alvarez of Mexico is still on the park after pushing the ref in the back...

• Wait for next World Cup with three team groups. All sorts of fixes going on

• Poland really are the most negative, unadventurous international team out there. If only they had a really top quality striker they could perhaps have a more optimistic approach, but it's tough when your #9 is a no-name playing in the nether regions of the Polish leagues.

• What a game the Saudi v Mexico was! Not sure I've ever seen so much energy, passion and guts by two teams on a pitch. Loved it.

• Fair play to Japan, great subs from their manager turned the game on its head.

I do think the ball was out of play for their second goal, but the officials have given it so let's see how Spain respond.

• Great couple of games these. Spain v Japan reminds me of our playoff final v Oxford.

• edited December 2022

That 4th Germany goal is where the law is a bit of an ass.

German striker miles offside right in the middle of the goal. Ball is headed back in, he's now back onside, and he smashes in.

He's benefitted from being offside in the first place though to be in that position.

• Get in Japan - two awesome results in this group, fully deserve to go through as group leaders.

@Malone agree regarding the German's 4th goal & frankly they do not deserve to progress given their lacklustre performances against Japan & Spain.

Also hats off to Morocco for topping their group & looking real good value for it.

• If all the teams were in one group England would currently be top. Admittedly Brazil and Portugal have a game in hand.

• Madness that Japan lost to Costa Rica and still go through as group winners.

Looked very much like they'd done their chance.

• Possession can do eins.

• edited December 2022

What’ would be the best pub in High Wycombe to watch England v Senegal on Sunday evening ?

• The ball did not cross the line, the side on view showed that.

• Wowser that was close. Still the Germans will still have ‘66 to complain about.