Skip to content

World Cup 2022

Comments

• Frank Lampard?

Andrei Shevchenko?

• Not current World Cup though. There must be numerous other players to have achieved this if you go back far enough.

• Ferran Torres

• LX1LX1
    edited November 2022

It has long been known that FIFA award WCs to countries which have no stadia or infrastructure in place because of the lucrative construction deals on offer. Hence why England have little chance.

FIFA presidents are voted on a 'one FA, one vote' system. So they increase the participants to silly numbers and award hosting to countries completely unsuitable under the banner 'take football to the World.'

Association football has zero to do with anything.

• Wanderer Chuck Moussaddik famously led Morocco to the semis at USA 94 with Lionel Ritchie singing the national anthem at 4 out of six of their matches

• From the BBC: Raheem Sterling today makes his 21st appearance for England at a major tournament (11 World Cup, 10 Euros), drawing level with Wayne Rooney and Steven Gerrard. Only Ashley Cole (22) has made more appearances for the Three Lions at the World Cup and Euros combined.

Love that stat, and well done Raheem. Considering his appearances have included a WC semi and a Euro final (something those other lads never managed) he deserves to be considered as a legend of the national team, in my mind.

• Gary Neville was just listing Bellingham's qualities. My favourite..'He can run forward!' lmao

• Oh lord the ITV commentary is dreadful, almost on a par with Dion Dublin's inanities

• First WC game I have bothered to watch and England look dreadful. Always looking for the backwards pass against limited opponents, instead of up to Saka and co.

• Good lord it has taken almost 45 minutes for England to actually force a save from Turner.

England have been lacklustre, as they they cannot be arsed, the USA have been energetic and shown some attacking intent but have nothing to show for it so far.

I really hope the second half is better...

• Dixon is like the reverse McCoist isn't he?

McCoist you can tell truly loves his football and can sound enthusiastic at even the most turgid game.

Dixon is a bit early Lawrenson-lite and feels like it's a bit of a strain to be there.

• Dixon's morose delivery is pretty appropriate for this game given their first half performance.

• England in making inferior opponents look like world beaters shock.

• It has the feel of a game neither team wants to lose, but neither quite can be bothered to win it either.

Sadly this is often the pattern for England at major finals.

• If only I could feel that way about the USA.

They look pretty bothered to me.

• What is the point of Harry Kane?

• @micra to be fair they do seem to want it a tiny bit more than England, but both sides are lacklustre especially compared to Brazil, Spain & France.

• England are playing without a striker. They should bring on Ivan Toney.

• I think the U.S. have had a very clear gameplan - defend in numbers and then break out at pace, positively. They are limited, but have played without fear.

• I’m waiting for @eric_plant to explain. He’s better at it than I am.

• I’d watch wycombe try and turn defence into attack within 7 seconds over watching stones and maguire play sideways passes all night long any day of the week

• Thank god its only 4 minutes of added time

I seriously think spending 2 hours watching paint dry would have been less tedious than that game

• That was awful.

• Gareth waited far too long to make subs there, and we just looked clueless as to how to create any openings.

Wait...who am I watching?

• A few minutes to go and the commentator said if we draw 0-0 then we will qualify as long as we don’t lose 4-0 to Wales. That was the moment I worked out what our game plan was.

• Where were Phil Foden and Callum Wilson? Mount goes missing for so long in games but Gareth seems to love playing him.

• England still nailed on to make the last 8. Where France will destroy them.