Skip to content

World Cup 2022

1181920212224»

Comments

• I love Messi ❤️, I actually had tears at the end! Only Wycombe going up to the championship has done that previously.

• edited December 2022

• Jermaine went to my old school and grew up near our house…lay off!

• Did he ever actually attend school though?

• I had no choice but to watch it on itv... Jenus is f#cking dreadful, how the hell is he on co comms for the world Cup final!!

The BBC trying to be pc and make up for the 50 years of employing pedophiles.

• Played lots of advantages and didn’t fall for the whole ‘all contact is a foul’ nonsense. Ex players have done all the cons so know a con when they see it.

The ref in the England v France game came close to that standard too and then fecked up some big moments unfortunately.

• Not so sure about the ref myself. Failed to get the grips with Argentina’s blatant shithousery and gave them a dodgy pen (that’s 3 or 4 very generous penalty decisions they’ve enjoyed in this WC)

• Almost ever pundit thought the referee was excellent and that’s very rare. Replays showed the penalty was the correct decision and he awarded France two penalties. I didn’t see too many examples of ‘blatant shithousery’ and saying they got ‘3 or 4 very generous penalty decisions’ is an exaggeration. It’s your right to dislike Argentina but they proved themselves to be the best team in the tournament with the best player.

• The one they were given against Poland is possibly one of the worst I've ever seen

• I totally agree with you on that one, incredibly poor decisio.

• obviously there were major issues with human rights and how the tournament was secured.

that aside what a great tournament - generally entertaining matches (did winter timing help) , upsets , drama, great final, no fan trouble (getting rid of booze not a negative?) and a good way to fill cold wet dark early winter evenings.

Done for the wrong reasons but wonder if winter tournament may be a more regular option - I fear we may see a contrast playing the next one in the Heat of a US and Mexican summer.

I’ve really enjoyed it.

• You make a very interesting point about the benefits of a winter World Cup. Like most people I was initially against the idea, but being able to watch games on TV whilst not missing out on warm weather outside-and being able to watch Wycombe play during the tournament- was a hugely enjoyable experience. I also think you are right about summer temperatures leading to games being played at a much slower, less exciting pace.

• Saudi 2030 nailed on.

• A few months back all Qatar's neighbours were blockading and boycotting them, I'd have no doubt the settlements and agreements included support for this.

Any Saudi bid becomes a much easier sell once you see Qatar host a very good tournament, and FIFA not only ignore but actively look to ban and counter any discussion around the detracting arguments around human rights, migrant workers and the environment.

Bigger country, more people, still plenty of money, extremely likely, especially if it can be sorted under current FIFA leadership.

• Pen vs. Poland was laughable. Clear dive vs. Netherlands. I won't go into the Croatia one again, but not a pen in my view. Di Maria kicks his foot out at Dembele to create contact.

They won, yes. Well done to them. No argument they're a good team and clearly have the best player in the world, arguably of all time (certainly in my life).

• Anyone any idea what temperature (roughly) the games were played in?

• Football was both quality and entertaining. Arguably slightly better than a we normally get at a June/July tournament. As you say, I suspect the games played in Mexico, Miami will be pretty naff due to the heat.

I'd be perfectly happy to see the tournament played in the winter again. I believe Morocco have put in a bid for 2030. Seems likely that 2030 will go to Argentina/Uruguay (fantastic place to host it - Argentina is fantastic, despite the horrid football team) but I imagine Morocco will be the next winter WC thereafter.

I'm not 100% sure on the rules but I think if 2030 goes to South America then 2034 would be pretty certain to go to Europe. So maybe 2038 Morocco. Although I guess a lot could change by then. It wouldn't surprise me if FIFA tried to bring in a WC every 2 years.

• It is really hard to get beyond the first sentence but lets face it we all love a sport that is widely run by criminals, largely homophobic and corrupted by money. Our version of football is maybe purer than the upper echelons but as a football family we don't have much of a leg to stand on.

Beyond that tiny detail...

The World Cup was a success because the players were sharper not at the end of a long season. The games were watched by sober fans not lager and coke-fuelled maniacs looking to kill strangers. The competition was centralised as opposed to diluted across the whole of a country or continent, giving it a festival feel and not a manufactured festival. Add a few un fancied teams doing well and some fancied teams doing less well it was fun whilst it lasted.

• edited December 2022

It was interesting to see the media telling us that the WC shouldn't be held in Qatar because homosexuals face 3 years in prison then declare, a few weeks later, how wonderful it was that Morocco (where homosexuals face five years in prison) had made the last four.

What a clunky sentence but that's how truth bombs sometimes are.

• Which World Cup was watched by 'lager and coke-fuelled maniacs looking to kill strangers?' Was that one in the 1930s @TheAndyGrahamFanClub ?

• According to data from Doha the early games were played in up to 31*c heat for the 1pm kick offs and later in the tournament temperatures had dropped down to a low of 21*c for the semis at 10pm kick off.

Temperatures in North America in June will range from 18*c in Vancouver to 32/33*c in a couple of the US stadiums. So very little change from this World Cup

• The 2030 bid from South America includes Argentina, Uruguay, Chile and Paraguay as joint hosts. It is all but guaranteed they will give it/vote (cough,cough) to this bid with the old lady Centenario holding the Final 100 years after hosting the first Final.

Quite fancy a 2030 trip to South America and four countries I have not been to.