Skip to content

World Cup 2022

Comments

• Mike Meyers became an international star in 1992 with the movie Wayne's World. In the movie he would sometimes add 'not' to the end of a sentence for comedic effect. Peterborough is the greatest football team in England........NOT! for example.

There was a brief spell where people turned this into a catchphrase and it all died down after a few months. But not for Mark Lawrenson, who was still using it 30 years later. I suspect his gravestone will say "I'm still alive...NOT"

• edited December 2022

Dixon is definitely channelling early days Lawro.

He sounds like he's on community service or something similar and is there out of absolute forced duty.

• edited December 2022

I don’t really like Dixon myself but he called it 100% right in the first half just before the first goal. Said they should start hitting Kane with a long ball for 5 or 10 minutes to make them double guess themselves when pressing as Senegal were doing well forcing errors in our back line.

sure enough, we scored and dispensed of the short passing out from the back.

Another note should be shared on Bellingham. France should worry about him as much as we are Mbappe. Outrageous talents.

• I was assigned Scottish at birth but can't be bothered with all that ABE bullshit. So I'm rooting for the country where I spent the happiest years of my life. Come on Japan, you can do this!

• It's coming home!!!

If you are insane enough to believe that the Shinto game of kamari is the oldest version of football

• Japan have been superb & fully deserve to be ahead at half time

• The Japanese went to bed in tears but will wake up and laugh their tits off at the Korean score.

• Another fairly conclusive R16 result then, wrapped up in the first 12mins!

4-0 now, if they want to, they could double that.

• edited December 2022

Feel for Japan, but their penalties were dire...

As for Korea, least said soonest mended. Seriously, Brazil have turned on the samba football tonight, the only question now is how many will they score...

The ITV pundits are terrible, Souness & Keane are just pathetic old has beens trying to somehow stay relevant but only succeeding in being pastiches of themselves.

• Looks likely to be an all European or South American final eight (unless Morocco beat Spain tomorrow.)

• South Korea have played much better in the second half, though to be fair Brazil did take the foot off the gas somewhat.

• I’m guessing Laugh your tits off is difficult to translate directly into Japanese.

• Same old story - some great upsets lead to an interesting Round of 16, but by the end of the tournament it is the usual suspects.

• @Shev - I agree but it is inevitable without greater investment & encouragement for the "lesser" sides.

It is, however, noticeable how the likes of Morocco, Tunisia, Japan, Senegal & Korea have improved from regular involvement in World Cups leading to increased investment in their domestic leagues & football coaching infrastructure as well as more of their top players getting opportunities in the top European teams.

Sometime in the next 20-30 years we will see one of these teams getting to & possibly winning the WC Final.

• Even in Europe there is a West/ East divide. Teams qualifying are very much skewed towards the richest western European nations (excluding Scandinavia and Scotland...)

• PJSPJS
    edited December 2022

Spain are such a dull watch - wouldnt want to watch that every week 😊

• Spain = Lot's of possession, slick passing in their & the middle third & zero cutting edge or for that matter idea how to break down Morocco. I have been really impressed by the latter's defensive discipline & really hope they spring the shock of the Round of 16 with a win that would mean so much across North Africa.

• Thankfully now out. With Busquets missing one of these loathsome stutter pens to boot!

Doesn't half open up the bottom end of the draw if we can sneak past France.

• Incessant short passing. Lack of end product. And out! Brilliant. Let’s have a rugby league style rule - 20 passes without a shot and you hand possession over

• Wow just wow

What an amazing result for Morocco

(to be fair Spain's penalties were even worse than Japan's)

• Never been a fan of deciding games on pens but it is a test of character, we've seen some crumble and some rise, not sure I've ever seen two more one sided shoot outs.

• edited December 2022

Ineffective, yes, but certainly not dull from a stylistic or aesthetic perspective. They could be quite something come the next Euros.

• Tom I agree with you in so far as I think come the next Euros they will be a better side than they were today.

We all purred at their style in the first game, but equally worried about whether they could do the same against teams who denied them space & time in the final third.

Of course they will stick to their tika-taka style as it is part of the Spanish footballing DNA, but looking at their younger players I think they will add a cutting edge they have missed against sides who play a disciplined & organised narrow low block like Morocco did today.

• Not sure what's so stylistically brilliant about a million passes and no goals and a stubborn refusal to play any other way

• Well done Morocco. Deserved winners today.

• Portugal 2 up at half time & actually looking a better team for Ronaldo's absence

• edited December 2022

Hardly surprising, Man Utd generally looked terrible this season when he was on the pitch.

• When Portugal beat Argentina in the final it will be funny to watch Ronaldo furiously taking his tracksuit off at the end as an unused sub to claim bragging rights over Messi.

• Could watch them play all day. 2 players away from real success