Skip to content

World Cup 2022

Comments

• edited November 2022

Top of the group. Will probably qualify doing absolutely bare minimum. Hope they've practiced penalties, although they'll need a step up or a huge dose of luck to even get that far.

*I really hope that is them doing the bare minimum.

• The U.S. boss had terrible situation awareness at the end there, keeping his goalkeeper back for the final freekick - in reality, a draw is no better than a loss for the Americans (unless Wales somehow hammer England) as they still have to beat Iran either way. Might as well have thrown the big guy up and caused carnage in the box!

• Sounds like my current mode of only watching the first half was a good use of 49 minutes…

• Some are claiming that England are doing an Argentina and trying to finish second in the group to have an easier run-in. If everybody starts playing 4D group stage chess maybe everybody will finish second and the tournament will end with no winner.

• Surely Sam Matterface isn't the best commentator that ITV has access to? His delivery is very flat and his 'radio style' means that he is constantly telling us things that can see quite clearly on the screen.

They should give the top games to Jon Champion.

• Drives me mad.

He is light years behind Champion and Tyldesley.

I'd love to hear @glasshalffull 's thoughts although diplomatically he may not be able to share them

• Southgate made a big thing about conceding two against Iran and it seems his no.1 objective is keeping a clean sheet. Perhaps as going into it their weakness at the back has been highlighted by the media.

No bad thing in a World Cup, but it certainly seemed to stifle our wealth of attacking options. Keeping the expectations of the face-painters in check ain't bad either haha. You don't win anything for smashing up a group stage. Italy's 3 draws in 82 was the perfect win.

• It's good to see the Scots getting behind England now it's been made clear they can't have a losing independence vote every other Thursday ;)

• That's bonkers. Winning the group gives England a much better chance by some distance!

• One of Matterface’s better performances. There were times where he said nothing for reasonably long periods, which is an improvement.

That said, what more can you say about Stones and Maguire passing it round the back for 5 minutes?

No-one is worse than Jonathan Pearce IMHO. Every game should be 6-6 in his ‘he has to score from there’ world.

• At times like these, I'm immensely grateful to support Wycombe. Imagine being so entitled and angry about a 0-0 draw.

• There is no 4D chess, he has done his research and favours dull defensive structure and tried and tested previously reliable (dull) players over flair players who might give the ball away, and he will have been happy with the 0-0 and how it impacts the group. We'll see how far it gets us and if we can either do the same against better teams or use other players to create more when we needed, if not we'll rightly be shaking our heads as we go out with a whimper again.

• I feel slightly cheated that DrCongo hasn't had a meltdown like he did last year after a nil nil draw against Scotland

• I agree, Jonathan Pearce is by far the worst for me, I struggle to listen to the matches he does

• It's the manner of the draw, rather than the result. Was incredibly negative, boring, and quite frankly shit football.

• Given that a draw virtually guarantees progress to the knock-outs I’m struggling to understand why some people are so annoyed.

• People seem to think England have a divine right to be good - and that's just not the case. Last night didn't teach us anything we didn't already know.

• I struggle to understand why as a manager you would play a clearly unfit Kane over your other attacking options, or for that matter a knackered Bellingham over Foden, but perhaps that is why I am sat in my armchair watching on telly rather than being there.

• Just like Argentina's bad attitude and Germany winning 'pks', it has always been this mate

• Is anyone watching the FA Cup over Poland Saudi? I'm not but would be interesting to see the stats

• Winning the group probably means France in the quarter final doesn't it?

• I don't think it's entitlement so much as clearly seeing that the sum appears to often be less than the parts with England.

• LX1LX1
    edited November 2022

Yeah. Where we will be underdogs. But 2nd means (probably) Holland then Argentina (they are still favs for group but obviously wide open). Potential semi could be Brazil/Spain (a likely mouth watering qf.

Winning group likely Ecuador then france. Semi possibly por/bel, neither that great..it's the best half to be in.

Obvs all speculation and lots can happen

• Outrageous double save from Szczesny

• Amazing. Also outrageous double z

• edited November 2022

Most be so hard for Lewandowski going from playing with Dembele, Raphinha, Fati etc. on a weekly basis to an unspectacular national team. He always looks so frustrated.

• Well, he'll take that

• I feel for the Saudis, they have played well, had a penalty saved & find themselves 2 down, which to be honest isn't a true reflection of the balance of the game. The big difference between the sides is the quality of the goalkeepers.

• The problem is the reaction doesn't take into account the tedious draw with Scotland in the Euros, and the loss against Belgium in the last WC. We've always had 1 dull, uninspired group games, and everyone has forgotten it. I'm just flabbergasted at people's short-sightedness on it.

Plus, world cup winning teams are always based on frugality. Spain lost their first group game in 2010, and barely scored more than a goal a game to win the whole thing.