Skip to content

Matt Bloomfield

Comments

• I’m exactly as conflicted about this as I thought I’d be.

Pleased that Matt has taken the next step in his career.

Gutted that he’s not here anymore.

Doubly gutted he’s gone to ColU. Enjoying their struggles is almost a reflex, I can’t imagine that’s going to change.

• Very good point but if he had stayed with us, he would always have the "what if?" and his career would have plateau'ed being behind GA and Robbo (and even Sam Grace)?

• Confirmed now hammers home that it's a sad day to see him lift up that horrid shirt. We have lost too many leaders in a short amount of time. Feels odd to be at such a turning point.

• Sad to see a genuine legend leave.

Delighted that he has an opportunity he presumably wants

The old ColU rivalry thing is a bit of a throwback now surely.

I wish him nothing but well and hope he does very well there.

• It's pretty depressing when you've more or less had enough of this season and we are not even into October yet.

The goalkeeper fiasco

Not replacing Stewart until into the season / not trying to replace Bayo at all.

The ever mounting injury list

Losing Bloomfield to Col U

The unrealistic owner predictions building us all up for this season - and not backing up that talk in the transfer market

We've had it far too good for a few years, but this season has sucked so far.

My realigned hopes are to now pray we don't get dragged into a dogfight at the lower end of the table.

Wycombe don't really do boring mid table seasons, but I think I'd take one with how I feel right now.

• He’s a grown man I’m sure he’s mature enough to make his own life decisions

blimey change happens get over it

• You’ve summed it up perfectly @DJWYC14

I’d quite happy to fast forward through the rest of this season.

• This must be the first season in the history of British football where it’s over by September 30th

• I'm very impressed that the fourth in command at Wycombe (I think one of the players on commentary mentioned that his job was mostly assisting Sam Grace with the development squad) is considered worthy of the number one spot at a club just one division lower. That shows the great work the coaching staff at Wycombe do, and also how Matt has improved himself by his assiduous study of the game - a degree in sports journalism, coaching badges with Ipswich etc. He certainly comes with the drive to succeed - and I suspect a big part of his offer to Colchester is a willingness to mirror the early years of Gareth's management when he would stick around to install goal nets, bring curtains from his home etc and get stuck in at all levels of managing a club.

What I'll be most interested in is what style of play Matt adopts. Just as Gareth started by copying his greatest influence, John Beck, before adapting, I wonder how similar Colchester will start to play to how Wycombe do now. Or will Matt look to a previous boss, like John Gorman? Given his role in our side, I suspect he'll certainly be looking to incorporate some of the dark arts he mastered under Gareth!

• Hopefully he’ll be committed to pioneering a style of play that involves only seven outfield players and no goalkeeper.

• the season is far from over, not sure anyone suggested it is. Just not sure whether that's a good thing or not yet.

• Football reflects life. Stormy times ahead but we’ve just Gotta get on with it

• edited September 2022

Good luck to Blooms. I echo the thoughts on leadership loss - and that is meant as more of a compliment to Blooms, Bayo and Stewart (not to mention Stocko!) than a dig at anyone remaining at the club. Our promotion to the Champo was built on the foundation of three absolute unicorns - Bayo, who will never be approximated in any shape or form - JJ, whose deliveries were surely among the best in the world for consistency and deadliness during that season, and I would also add Blooms simply because it is very unusual for someone to be at a lower league club that long and provide that level of example and leadership. The fact we are struggling to get back there with a superior squad on paper should also add more lustre to that accomplishment.

It really does seem to be a snakebitten season so far - however, you really never know with us. I think @bookertease opined about us going on a tear at some point, and I could really see it too. If someone came from the future and told me Wycombe won the 2023 playoff final, I would probably simply enjoy a wry smile and say "Of course we did."

• I don’t feel conflicted. It’s a brilliant opportunity for Matt and he’s absolutely got to grab it with both hands. There’s only 92 managers jobs in the professional leagues and thousands of ex-players and coaches who’d want one of them. He’s now got one. What a great move for him, especially given his family circumstances.

Thank you Matt for everything you’ve given this club.

About two thirds of the way through his time at Wycombe it looked like the game was up having had a long spell out with injury - the kind of thing we see now with Curtis Thompson. But his revival in his 30s under Gareth Ainsworth was quite something. If anything, he played his best football for Wycombe in that period. We miss his desire and will to win now.

I hope he does brilliantly in every game except any against Wycombe.

• The sheer delight on his face when he got his Championship goal at Pride Park is something that will always stay with me. Matt Bloomfield, a Championship scorer (and he rescued a point for us with that equalizer too).

• Didn't really see this one coming at all, at least not yet.

Gutted that Matt is leaving us after all these years, but can definitely see it would make sense on a personal level. Just shows his level of dedication to the club for so many years, travelling so far.

Don't really have that feeling of animosity so much towards Col U now. Would have hated it more had it been Oxford or Luton.

Good luck Matt, hope it all goes well for you, you will always be a Chairboys legend.

• Congratulations Matt on your appointment 👏🏻

A man who gave everything and more to this club and will be welcome here along with his family forever.

You will be missed and we shall all keep an eye on your fledgling managerial career.

Another huge loss to the ethos of this club and a sad day for my family who first sponsored Matt when he arrived as a 19 year old.

We are having our annus horribilis!

• What a strange post.

We're going to debate a player and coach of 19 years leaving. We don't need your little flippant remarks.

Otherwise every single thing that happens could equally be finished with a "it's only football, get over it"

• edited September 2022

Some terrible stuff here. Giving up on a season in September is pure Tony Adams and you should be ashamed of yourselves

We'll reach the playoffs and when we do you should be red-faced as you buy your tickets

• Very best wishes to Matt. True we have lots a lot of leaders, I understand Bayo has left a really big whole - but its now time for others to step up. Should we look to Jason, Josh, Alfie or Garath perhaps?

• edited September 2022

Wow, you're someone I'd put very firmly in the "overly optimistic" category as well!

I remember you ticking me off when I was getting a bit glasshalfempty at us losing the first 10 or however many games it was 2 years ago, and you had more optimism then than now.

I'm fairly calm and optimistic about how our season shapes up from here. McCleary is back, which is a huge plus straight off the bat. Fingers crossed on Scowen or someone else like Hanlan too.

We may have a rocky next few games, but after that I'd expect us to soar up the league.

• Aren’t you being a little flippant calling my remarks a little flippant ?

Nothing strange about my remarks just mature

it’s all about perspective

• @Malone sure, but I don’t need to explain to you that two years ago we were in the Championship and had the most special group of players we’ve ever seen at our grand old club.

Neither of those things are true now, but that’s not to say they won’t be again. I’ll miss our next half dozen or so games, so I fully expect us to win them all playing some delightful football. Nothing would surprise me less than hearing we’ve trounced league leaders Plymouth late tomorrow morning.

• It's Plymouth, we'll win

• When we were on our horrible run last season, it did not end until I had to miss watching my only game of the season. I will narcissistically offer to miss another game if this run continues much longer.

• edited September 2022

Not sure wanting the season to be over is the same as giving up on it. Sadly there's no such option.

We have absolutely no chance whatsoever of reaching the play-offs however and I am willing to wager £50 with you, if you're brave enough to put your money where your mouth is.

• No way we make the play-offs

• But any football scenario is. We understand that.

But we like to chat about football situations on a football forum without being told to "get over it".

• This is a thread about Matt Bloomfield, take your squabbles to another thread please.

He deserves more.

• I think Blooms is going to be a tremendous success. True leadership is not so common of a quality.