Skip to content

Matt Bloomfield

Comments

• Anyway, calm down mate. Matt Bloomfield is an utter legend here. He loves us and we love him. As a result we're entitled to believe he'd want to come "home" and manage us one day. Nothing to do with the relative size (perceived or not) of our two clubs.

• "Six seasons, in your entire history, outside the bottom rung of the EFL - two of which ended in relegation - doesn't exactly make you Barcelona, does it?"

Wycombe have actually spent more time in the 2nd and 3rd tiers than the 4th tier.

• Enjoy the Conference

• Activating Agent Bloomfield now...

• I would just like to thank Blooms for his years of servive to WWFC,they're aren't many players in the modern game who stayed at one club for so long.

• It's nice to know you're here and that.

But when was the last time we took one of your coaches and made them manager?

I think that probably says a few things!

• We all wondered how on earth Bloomy managed the commute year after year.

And I dare say we all suspected deep down that it was well worth it as a player, but maybe less so as a coach?

And if you can get a managers job nearer home, even going to historical rivals then it has to happen.

I'm just surprised no-one is hyping this up as a "sign things aren't right" etc.

• Adebayo Akinfenwa and Matt Bloomfield both leave the club in the space of four months. I’m not sure how this can be seen as positive in any way.

Another kick in the nuts and I’ve already had enough of this poxy season. The sooner it’s over the better.

• Sadly Betsy has joined the most bonkers club in the football league, is probably a matter of weeks away from getting sacked and has Crawley fans calling for his head online already.

• Not sure anyone thinks it's positive?

Just that you can understand why someone would want a shorter commute, higher job and no doubt fair bit more wad

• It’s Colchester United? It’s not something big or better. It’s a boil on the arse of Essex.

I suppose it doesn’t change anything, I still hope they get relegated.

• I'd love to be able to get behind Matt and want him to do well as he starts his managerial career but I just don't have it in me to ever want them to ever do anything but lose.

Thanks everything Blooms, I really hope you're not there very long

• Started a sentence with "Look..." - not for me

• How about you show respect of getting your facts right?

Say hello to Southend for us next season

• Dead to me.

Until he learns enough to come back at lead us to the Premier League.

Fickle?

• Mr Wycombe running Colchester is very amusing to me. Genuinely, Good luck to him. I think he’s going to need it to get the Col U supporters onside, but a few wins will help that.

• Dude, no one on this thread has said anything that has been dis-respectful towards Col U. Yes, we are sad to lose Matt Bloomfield (aka Mr Wycombe Wanderers) to you and ALL of us wish him well and will be keeping a distant eye on his or your new journey. We also are aware of the history between the 2 clubs however I believe that our fanbase currently has more dislike being aimed at Oxford and Franchise than we currently do with you which has also changed over time.

I'll be honest, I wasn't aware that Col U had been in the Championship but that says more about me than it does for the rest of this forum. It seems as though both of our clubs have had fairly similar journeys, both have had adventures in the Championship and granted that your's was longer by 1 season but thats for another chat as we were cheated out of our 2nd season. We have also struggled with our financial situation and there was a time we were worried about it and from the outside, it appears that your club is currently experiencing those fears too. The "size" of the club changes as time goes on, in the 2000's (yes I have used google since my first post) it does appear that Col U was the bigger or more successful club. However, looking at the last 5 seasons, the pendulum has swung in favour of us just like in the Premier League and other leagues across the world.

We mentioned about our U23 development players joining you, this has only been a wondering thought as some manager (and we aren't saying Matt will be one of them) normally likes to bring in players and/or staff that they know and trust. Look at Harry Redknapp and Neil Warnock as examples and we openly wonder if Matt will do the same. We have several fringe players who aren't quite at League one standard but need more game time to help them progress and maybe a loan to Col U might help them to do that?

If you really are in "peace", lets not fire off shots over claims of who is bigger etc, the league standings and recent history doesn't lie.

• Shame we won't get to give him the big farewell he deserves tomorrow.

• Didn't Stockdale leave for very similar reasons in the summer (except the higher job part?).

Gareth is very reasonable bloke who doesn't stand in the way of something that makes logical sense, he did this with Kashket and Samuel by allowing them to leave on a free when they had opportunities somewhere else. He also seemed very understanding over the Stockdale situation (until Utd messed it up with Bishop). It seems like there are very few "nice" guys around in the footballing world and I fully believe that Gaz prob tried but didn't push it with Blooms to try and get him to stay.

Good luck Matt, you have been an amazing player and representative for Wycombe Wanderers, you will always be welcome back and I hope this new journey is only just the start.

• Blimey ex player turned coach decides to further his career by moving to another club nearer his home.

shock horror

never knew people change jobs in order to try and get a better life

some maturity above that of a class of four-year-olds is required here

good luck to you Booms

• Best luck, Matt - and thanks for everything.

• This is good news for Matt and a great opportunity for him to get vital experience of being "Where the buck stops". He deserves the respect and good wishes of everyone who has supported WWFC over the last 20 years, nothing less will suffice.

• You can really spot the ones with absolutely no feeling for Wycombe Wanderers whatsoever.

Imagine reacting to this news with just a shrug of the shoulders.

Just a job? Not to Matt Bloomfield it wasn’t. You only had to talk to him once to know what it meant to him and how it gave it everything. I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone as dedicated as Matt.

It nearly cost him his life FFS.

Wycombe Wanderers is now a lot poorer for his departure and that hurts.

• I’m really pleased for him and wish him all the best for his time Col U.

As a supporter who started watching in the 90s, the best I can hope would be for him to go on a crazy run up the league, get poached by a Championship club around February, just leaving enough time for the Scum to plummet down the league to be relegated on the last day.

Dream big lads.

• Its interesting how this news has be released in the (local) media and on our club's website but appeared on Col U's site last? Do you reckon Wycombe jumped the gun?

• Managing a football league club is always better than being say 3rd in command at a club a tier higher.

I am surprised though. Mostly in Col Utd approaching him. I bet their fans are underwhelmed, like we'd be if we took a coach from some team we believe are our level.

• It's a hell of a risk for him isn't it.

I wouldn't say he'd "blown" his legacy with us, or any silly talk like that, but he's essentially given up a really safe job, where he's loved, and with a possible chance of stepping up here down the line.

For what may be a very short term appointment, depending on how kneejerk their owners are, and absolutely no guarantee we'd then say, "well, come back aboard", as we'll surely have to appoint someone else. Unless the role was literally just made up for him.

• Yes he did, but with a couple of massive differences. Stockers as much as no doubt liked us, was a very small footnote in our history. Bloomfield was a 20 year man.

And Leeds to Wycombe I dare say is a lot further than Bloomy's commute too.a

Plus Stockdale is still playing of course.