Skip to content

Matt Bloomfield

Comments

• I am hardly an optimist but even I think we still have a decent chance of making the play-offs.

Some of the doom and gloom on the back of two defeats against two good sides away from home, in both of which we played reasonably well in short patches seems a little excessive.

We aren’t quite right yet admittedly (the defence hasn’t gelled yet) but it is still early in the season.

I will qualify the above by stating that if Scowen is out for ages we’ll get relegated!

• Personally I wish him nothing but good luck. I started watching Wycombe in 1998 and already the rivalry with Col. U. was some distance away in the rear view mirror. I can't say I like them much, their new ground is one of the most boring in the country and their stewards were over-officious last time I was there but I can say far worse about other clubs. No, for me it's best of luck Matt, hope you succeed (except against Wycombe of course).

• edited October 2022

Something finance related yes, but I'm sure he was doing that pretty early in his time with us as a safety net.

He's said he'd love to stay here as long as possible, so if he got an opportunity I dare say he'd consider it.

However, there's nothing to say he has this opportunity, would suit it, or wouldn't want to play elsewhere for a couple of years first.

Fans always automatically think vet players should stay on out of romance.

• I could be completely wrong, of course; I just can't imagine him on the touchline in any capacity other than taking forever over a throw-in.

• The gatecrasher game was 2001 wasn't it? They got t-shirts done afterwards

• One of Bloomfield's new squad is called Lion Bello which is a spectacular name.

• He's gonna be a roaring success!

• Blooms loses first game after Colchester had the lead. This week it's "Ha ha Colchester." Next week maybe it will be "Well done Blooms!"

• Probably too early to put anything down to Bloomy for that game.

Next week it's all on him.

• Really not hard to understand is it? Everyone wishes Matt all the best in his future career, just not with ColU.

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63483802

Sadly Matt had to report Col U fans for racist abuse of their own players. Very sad to see but credit to Bloomers. Wonder if he's thinking he's made a massive mistake going there!

• I think you've misread, he reported a Barrow supporter

• This comes after Plymouth "fans" chanted derogatory songs about Adam Stansfield (an Exeter player who died of Cancer) and Peterborough "fans" did likewise about Simon Dobbin (a Cambridge supporter killed by football hooligans in Southend).

I despair of what this country is becoming.

• @DevC isn’t this just a case of social media providing a platform to see this stuff? Heard horrendous chants in the 80s and 90s but no one was filming it

Or am I off the mark?

• Whoops must have done!

• Partly Peter. Yes horrible songs have existed for a long time - including about Hillsborough and Munich.

I think they should be called out whenever they happen. Banter between opposition supporters is part of the football experience but I dont understand why seemingly decent people - even when drunk or stoned - allow themselves to be so low that they would allow themselves to utter such words. I do despair.

• Combine angry blokes, safety in numbers in a crowd, and booze or drugs, and it can be a pretty ugly combination.

Still fairly rare to hear such incidents like the Bloomy one above, but hopefully a proper punishment will shut it down.

• Since when did being stoned make you chant obscene things?

• edited November 2022

Assuming Dev's using that more as a blanket term for all drugs rather than the one most equate it with?

But to continue on his point, surely the whole point with drugs and drink is they take you out of control. And if you're out of control, who knows what they're capable of?

• "I got stoned last night. I told this Palestinian guy the West Bank belonged to Israel..." - John Moloney

• edited November 2022

I don't think "the whole point with drink and drugs is they take you out of control"

• To shift focus back a little to Blooms himself, Colchester are bottom. Deciphering the grunts from their forum, it seems they are playing quite well at home but can't buy a point away. It will be interesting to see how their season plays out.

• If someone was stoning me then I’d shout out some pretty unsavoury things !!

• May have missed it, but have we got a new goalkeeper coach yet? Must be about a month now since Harrison left.

• Matt is doing an excellent job for Colchester. The club are moving out of the relegation zone and Matt seems to have made some good moves in this transfer window.

As much as I dislike Col U, I wish Matt all the best and it is good to see him make a success of that job.

• Time to forget our dislike for Col U, they're just another EFL Team after all. I never saw Wycombe in non-league days.

• The moment Bloomfield goes I’ll be back to disliking them but I can’t help but be pleased when they win at the moment.

• They seem to be getting their fans very excited with current transfer dealings. Whether that will shift the expectations for Matt who knows. Seems like he's at least had a positive impact since arriving