Skip to content

Matt Bloomfield

Comments

• Last remaining link to the Gormania era thinking about it.

And the Adams one, in fairness!

• I wish him nothing but the best. I know it’s Col U but it’s a good opportunity for him to show what he can do as the Gaffer. And we don’t stand in someone’s way as a club and it is one of the many things I love about us. I hope their supporters and owners give him time to settle and really show what he’s learned.

Am I alone in now wanting Col U in the cup?

• I can get 5/1 at the bookies old chap, kind though your offer is

• Insane news. Waiting now on James McClean to get announced as England manager

• You don’t believe we have any chance of reaching the play-offs any more than I do. It’s just chutzpah.

• Hopefully he does a fantastic job and then comes back to replace Gaz one day.

Good luck Matt!

• In fairness, Scotty went there, and he actually was with us for the peak of the rivalry

• Are you just playing the classic game of claiming everything is bleak so that you can be pleasantly surprised when it turns out not to be?

• edited September 2022

As someone else has commented above there is a limited number of professional football managers jobs available and a much larger pool of ex-pros and out of work managers chasing those jobs.

We should be immensely proud that Matt has been chosen for this position, and it speaks volumes about both himself and the club that he is being given this opportunity.

I hope he is immensely successful and perhaps, one day, he'll come back to manager us in the Premier League (GA/Dobbo having finally decided to step aside - but only after Matt has indicated he'll take the vacant managers job).

• The generals that were so critical to our success have all but gone with only Dom Gape left of the named players in that group. It’s hardly surprising we are losing games with a whimper sometimes.

Wish Matt B nothing but love and success. What a guy. And once again we are saying ‘we will never see the likes of him again’.

• JJ was part of that group wasn't he?

Though clearly not having a great start to the season, and every chance it's his swan song year.

• JJ's still with us - though perhaps not the force he once was.

• JJ is the reason we were able to "rely on set pieces" (which is a backhanded compliment for some reason) for so long. His placement was absolutely deadly.

• I think I’d rather cough up a lung than wish col u well they are of course a shit arse club supported by a tiny bunch of plastic cockneys .

I do however wish Matt all the best in all his future endeavours.

• i think it’s another impressive footnote to the Gormania era that Matt Bloomfield follows Russell Martin, Mike Williamson and Kevin Betsy into management at a decent level.

Wishing Matt all the best, even if it is at Col U, what an opportunity for him!

• Always found Colchester fans to have more Suffolk accents, especially when shouting abuse across a train track

• edited September 2022

It was just such a weird shock on a middling Friday afternoon.

Saw the little notification on the app, thought nothing of it, maybe another development player or suchlike, and "Bloomfield leaves", and honestly, a what on earth moment when seeing Colchester!

I initially misread it as just going to be a coach, before the penny dropped about actually being manager, a totally different kettle of fish.

Their website said he'd watched their last 3 games, but I assume that was on video, rather than being there.

Apparently the clubs agreed a 3.30pm reveal, but Col Utd bungled it and didn't reveal until 4pm!

Hope for Bloomy's sake that isn't a sign of the way their club is run!

• With Bayo seemingly not having taken up any other commitments - can we get him in and around the place for motivational purposes?

I wonder who will replace Blooms?

• edited September 2022

Great shout on JJ to coaching there.

Captain: Dom Gape

Vice-captain: Jason McCarthy

"Generals": Vokes, McLeary, Mawson, maybe Grimmer too.

• Isn't JJ studying economics or something? I can't see him becoming a coach at all.

• This is great news for Matt, we should wish him well. Football Management is so precarious and he will be judged by results on the field rather than by the work load and effort he puts in. Which is a bit tough as he will be constrained by budgets and he won’t ‘cross the white line’ himself.

So, fingers crossed he can convert his coaching badges and incredible experience of pro football into a winning team.

He will need a good coaching team around him as leadership is a lonely job. He mentions that he has reached out to people since the job was his. I wonder who will join him? Ex Wycombe player or back room staff perhaps?

• This still hasn’t properly sunk in. Why did it have to be Colchester?*

Good luck, Matty. Send ‘em down through no fault of your own, come back here, become manager, win the league, keys to the town… you get the idea.

*I know why.

• I started following Wycombe in 2002, Bloomfield signed in 2003, so for almost the entire time I've been a Wanderers fan Matty B has been part of the club. In that time I've finished uni, backpacked around the world, went back to college, started my chosen career, moved to Somerset, Windsor, Enfield and Nottingham, bought a house, started my own business, and became a father. Anyone who has got anything but good wishes for Matt, get a bloody grip, he's spent half of his life at Wycombe, if he wants to manage Col U then fair play to him and I hope he turns them into a successful team.

• Thank you Mr Wycombe. Good Luck

• Well said. While supporters have rivalries with other clubs, quite rightly so as this adds spice to the game, players normally don’t.

A player coming up against his old club may mean something to him but when we are playing Oxford ,franchise or Col U to them it’s just another game to prepare for.

like most of us in our careers we change jobs hopefully to progress. He is also saved himself the grind of what must’ve been an horrendous commute for 19 years!

This is what Matt has done and we wish him all the best. he’s been a wonderful servant of the club and that will never be forgotten Who knows he may return as a future Wycombe manager ?

• Exactly what @RichardBomberHarris said regarding everyone should wish Matt well. I am quite surprised by some of the split views on his leaving. He should leave with all of our best wishes and grateful thanks for the sacrificial he has made.

It’s a great opportunity for him too. I am probably in a minority of one but I’d love to see him succeed there to the extent that they get promotion and we can resume our rivalry again.

• And then we could all live safe in the knowledge that Colchester could only succeed once they got a bit of Wycombe in them 🤣