Skip to content

Matt Bloomfield

Comments

• If you want me to hold a grudge try to punch my face in.

But now strangely that game is one of my favourite football memories and has become part of the club folklore.

Best of luck to Blooms still hate the the Essex apes.

• Hope they lose every game and get relegated

• Wish all the best to Blooms, this is some turnaround but a long way still to go. A similar story starting to emerge at Gillingham perhaps?

• Both Col U and Gillingham (the latter with new American owner pumping in the cash) have been pretty active in the January window to give themselves every chance of staying up - of course chucking money at the problem is far from a guarantee, but the margins between an L2 team that stays up and one that goes down can be wafer-thin, as we know from past experience.

So anything can help.

Crawley look like a complete basket case right now, and I suspect that the likes of Rochdale and Hartlepool may be less able to spend their way out of trouble than Col U or the Gills have done.

Long way to go in that dogfight though.

• How any Wycombe fan can wish ill of Blooms managerial career is beyond me. Has put his head above the parapet into the management world in trying circumstances, could have stayed cozy under the radar as a coach with us. A great guy, loyal servant to our club and, as has been suggested, this may be an apprenticeship for the return of the prodigal son at some point. Good luck to him.

• edited January 2023

People saying he won't come back here because of the travelling, so, you're saying he can only ever manage at Col U or Ipswich then ? If he got sacked and it was a choice of no work or travelling of course he would. Also if he was to do really well and potentially get offered a job up the ladder at a much bigger job, of course he would move

• Matt moved back to Felixstowe as his daughters were very young and the family wanted to be able to call on grandparents, friends etc to be able to support them all. I don't know how anyone manages supporting young children without family & friends close by.

In my experience this need for support can significantly reduce once they get to primary school. As they become teenagers they are a lot more self-sufficient and support could reduce further.

I fell this is why Ainsworth has probably stayed with us for so long, as he didn't want to unsettle family.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him stay at Col U for several years, if the board there give him the backing that GA has recieved at Wycombe.

• No one wishes Matt ill at all, at least no one who has posted on this thread. I hope Matt has a successful career as a manager, and i hope Colchester United lose every game.

• It won’t be a successful career of Col U lose every game, or have I missed something?

• I wonder what success looks like at ColU in the short term. Stability in mid table L2? Hopefully if he achieves that by the end of the 23/24 season he can be on his way to pastures new.

• While mid table would be some form of success for sure, you'd imagine he'll have to be threatening the promotion zone to get recognition from another club for a move.

• He is certainly turning things around there and making his mark. He seems to have the backing of his board in the transfer market and good luck to the lad. I hope he takes them to promotion next season and gets the recognition he deserves.

• Best case scenario is a great start to next season leading to a better job for Matt and a collapse for ColU.

Actually the best case scenario would be Matt guiding them to safety this season, but ColU are relegated for financial impropriety that predates his employment, leaving him to rejoin the coaching staff at Wycombe Wanderers.

• How any Wycombe fan can wish Colchester United success is beyond me.

• Main blocker to Matty succeeding Gaz may well be him being snapped up elsewhere before a vacancy arises here. He speaks very well and gets his face on TV every so often and a chairman could easily be very impressed.

• My respect for Matt far outweighs any hatred I have for Colchester.

While Matt is with them I shall on occasions see how he is doing and hope he does well. He deserves all the success he gets for his dedication to us for nearly 20 years and the way he conducts himself, it’s just unfortunate it is with Colchester.

• Maybe Cambridge would be the best next step - a division above and not a million miles away. Then everyone could be happy (aside from when we play them).

• Manager of the Month award incoming?

• He’s doing well, isn’t he?

• He could well be our next manager!

• He could well be our next manager!

• We're far more likely to offer it to him if we get a vacancy. He'd have to sustain form and probably get a promotion for Ipswich to take him. Very likely they go up soon and have funding and eyes on even higher.

• Without wanting to be too pessimistic, Colchester could be operating at a similar level to us in 2-3 years time. They’re certainly throwing some money around in this transfer window.

• Oh No! I can now forsee a Bloomfield Derby.

• Blooms gets Manager of the Month.

• Quite an achievement so soon into his first ever managerial position, especially given what he's been through with the concussions. Well done Blooms.

• Could easily have been rejected by players and fans due to his time here and lack of experience, won't have had a big budget, always came across well, proving your knowledge and winning people over can be half the battle. Great job so far.