Skip to content

Nathan Bishop set to sign

Comments

• He's not gonna post @Ed_, we won.

• Team played excellent today and can only beat what is infront of us however Burton were poor and stand by my view that we need a GK, Dickinson looked OK however distribution needs to be better and don't think he is big enough or commanded his area enough to be a number 1 for a so called automatic promotion chasing team , we also desperately meed a CB ;Grimmer is a good defender and has a nice 1st touch but distribution was poor .

we need both a GK and CB for the better teams we are due to meet

will enjoy today's performance and result and hopeful GA will make some signings for the Bolton game

• That’s actually a perfectly reasonable post @Wanderers82 and pretty much everyone here probably agrees with you.

• Who promised what? What has been under delivered? What have the manager and comms team done wrong?

• Gaz said post match they hadn't managed to get the new keeper over the line

It's not Scott Brown or Ryan Allsop is it?

• The mask has slipped

• Ainsworth clearly alluded to Bishop without mentioning his name in his interview and said we couldn’t quite get it over the line. Not sure if that deal is now dead and we will move to get someone else.

• If Burton had come to Adam's Park with a kid in goal, that had only had a few games at Step 8, you would have asked had they got an injury crisis ?

If they replied Jimmy Floyd has been chasing a keeper all summer, but it hasn't happened and no back up plan.

We would have pissed ourselves laughing.

Rob Couhig makes a big thing of us no longer being 'little Wycombe'. But the minute we were being told the earliest, you could have Bishop was a few days, before the 1st league game, as he was gonna tour with Utd. Should have been time to walk away from the deal. People can sugar coat the situation as much as you like, but it's very poor preparation to not know who your keeper is for the 1st game of the season. Hopefully lessons have been learned.

• If Bishop is the right signing and it happens this week, then everything is fine. Better that he is unavailable for one game and we have our player for the rest of the season.

The risk is we wait for him, and then it still doesn’t happen.

• Maybe you could say that the persistence with getting one identified target at all costs is perhaps the price of the background research that GA and team do - as in all the stuff around whether the player will be a fit personality-wise.

As in, everyone knows that the GK slot has to be one of the easiest to fill from a loan perspective as there are going to be so many good ones that are never going to get a sniff of first team action at bigger clubs.

But maybe other clubs would just think, well GK X, Y and Z are available, let’s just send a scout to watch them and pick the best one.

Whereas if we put an extra level of research into our identified targets around “personality” (as vague and fluffy as that may be) then maybe we’re a bit less flexible when a deal starts to look less ideal (eg from a timing perspective and the loan contract/ % of fee we have to pay etc).

anyway, all just pointless speculation/musing - which I suppose is why we have forums.

• I don't think Ainsworth could have been any clearer. He wants Bishop, it's hit a snag or two but he's relaxed as he's happy with Dickinson. It's a big gamble maybe but for yesterday at least it worked. You can blame the preparation, the manager and owners all you like but this was a choice not a f*CK up. They could easily have taken your advice and ditched the deal a week or two ago and brought in someone available but further down the list, but have pretty clearly chosen not to do so.

Now we will probably have a loan keeper soon and a backup with league experience. No point signing up all these kids for a year or two just to loan them out and release them without giving them a chance when opportunity presents itself.

If we got spanked yesterday and he'd dropped the ball in the net a few times everyone involved would have been in a rage, but it didn't happen and on we roll.

• I think some people are a touch disappointed that he didn’t drop one in the net and mildly annoyed that Burton weren’t a bit better.

• The information that was relayed to me, from a viable source, was that Bishop was the one we had been chasing, but very late in the day, doubts started to appear that the owning club, were perhaps feeding us porkies pies about why the deal couldnt/hasn't gone through.

To me it's a classic case of putting all your eggs in one basket.

• This may or may not be relevant but I believe that Tom Heaton, United’s number two keeper and ex Chairboy, suffered a minor injury this week.

• Bishop on the bench for United today

• let's move on from Bishop , United are mugging us off

• Heaton in goal today for United , so not certain that’s the issue. We have a week to get another goalkeeper. Despite Dickinson’s performance, it’s a risky strategy not to bring a more experienced one before the Bolton game. We clearly have chased Bishop since the start of the window with Ainsworth being relaxed we were going to get him all through the process. Hasn’t happened. Will it happen? Is it time to go to start plan B?7

• Congratulations to the 500th poster on this thread.

• Looks like we've had our pants pulled down by Man Utd, learn and move on. But the bonus is my dislike for that club has diluted in recent years, now its back to its original optimum levels.

I hope both they and PNL lose every game they play.

• Let's hope we have a contingency plan...

• Or maybe the injury doubt with Heaton mentioned earlier meant they kept him as security for an extra week, and it'll be wrapped up this week.

In which case no harm done.

But it certainly looks a "brave" call to have gone along with the idea of a keeper not getting back from a tour until a few days before the first game, over any number of other available keepers.

In Gaz we trust though.

• Bishop won't be anywhere near the Utd first team when their big games kick off. Heaton won't be first choice for long if at all either. No reason to think he's off the agenda any more than he wasn't yesterday. Will Tyla get one more game? maybe, but probably not.

Why would you doubt there is a backup plan anyway. He's not the only keeper out there.

• edited July 2022

Heaton is 2nd choice. It's about whether they temporarily needed cover.

We've clearly taken the calculated gamble that Bishop is worth the wait.

• edited July 2022

Understandable people don't like the idea we are being messed about but cutting off your nose to spite your face isn't ideal either.

• If he was at the ground yesterday, and a few people have suggested he was, then it seems utterly baffling sending him down here, only to drag him back to Manchester the day after, and just to sit on the bench.

But United having a strange double up of friendlies on consecutive days probably didn't help.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

• Corrr tough life eh? "Nathan we are sending you a luxury car to come 3 hours back up the motorway because we need you to play a match at Old Trafford. Don't worry though, you will get paid your £10k at the end of this week. Do you mind? Please please please"

I mean they made him go to USA to sit on the bench. That's more baffling to me.

Anyway, maybe it was Harold Bishop that we were trying to sign?