Skip to content

Nathan Bishop set to sign

Comments

• Yes, but how do you know it's been registered?

There isn't a database of league data you can tap into?

The club always announces it, and they can do that when they fancy.

• edited July 2022

Used to be midday the day before.

But clearly, registering and announcing totally different things.

And of course, the comedy thing we're all missing, is none of us actually know if Bishop is any good anyway, bar pure assumption that he "must be" because he's at a big premier league club.

• Just catching up on today's 90+ posts.

Conclusion is we're no nearer knowing and quite a few of us are getting concerned, but we shouldn't be because in GA/Dobbo we trust.

Confirmation has been received, however, that we will have someone in goal, and the team will be announced at about 2pm tomorrow.

Did I miss anything?

• All we need is Tyla to test positive for Covid tomorrow and then our young keeper gets injured in the warm up. Who plays in goal!

• Regardless of who appears on the tomorrow's team sheet as goalkeeper, if Tyla Dickinson is going to have an EFL career then at some point he will make his league debut, and until then he is completely untried. He has had a full season of working with the goalkeeper coach and along side of Stockdale. Perhaps the the management have judged that he is ready to make his debut, and that he is worthy of having his chance to becoming our No 1 choice.

The management and coaching team have vastly more experience than any the fans, of assessing the qualities of the players they work with. I am sure that at some point another keeper will come to the club, whether that be as No. 1 choice or as backup to Dickinson.

Whatever the result tomorrow, nobody will have won promotion of immediately face relegated.

• If Bishop does not sign, can I get a refund for my goalkeeper top with 'Bishop' written on the back in crayon over the top of 'Stockdale'?

• I could give it a go. Been about 17 years since I last did, mind you...

• You’re an absolute rotter @arnos_grove !! You certainly played a big part in reeling me in. I was convinced that this was really it. The moment we’ve all been waiting for.

I’m staying well away until tomorrow evening when a new thread should supersede this one - perhaps “Tyla Dickinson Man of Match”.

• I’d nominate Tafazoli to take the gloves in that case. My reasoning? He’s the tallest player we’ve got.

• so what happens if Bishop is between the posts, has a mare and is nutmegged for a Burton winner? “Should never have played a keeper without a preseason under his belt. Dickinson the safe option as any competent manager should have known. We’re going down. Ainsworth out.”

• Thankfully, he is going to win MOTM, wink at the camera and say: "This one's for you, Gasroom."

• It's a "squad" and the players that are in reserve are deemed good enough by the management to step in should their services be required.

• edited July 2022

I suppose there’s one other scenario we could potentially see play out tomorrow.

if the Bishop move has fallen through or for some reason is on hold, we could apply to the League to sign a goalkeeper on an emergency 7 day loan as we technically don’t have a first team goalkeeper available.

A couple of years back we had Cameron Dawson and Stephen Henderson in on these.

I’ve just had a quick look at the rules and a first team keeper is defined as one that’s made 5 first team starts. So we definitely don’t have one.

However, the rule seems (fairly obviously) to be designed to help clubs cover injuries not instances where they don’t have a keeper at all, so god knows what the EFL or other clubs would make of us using it in these circumstances.

Also looks like we can sign an emergency keeper up to 12pm tomorrow which should keep this thread going for even longer……

• So if Tyla Dickinson can avoid germs, traffic, contact, slippery floors, poorly prepared chicken, lawnmowers and Greene King IPA for the next 18 hours, we should be ok.

But what if his arm bursts?

• We can make 5 subs so we could play "rush goalie"

• So if the whole house of cards falls in, roof first, do we call for Tyla?

• Given my chances of going

• Given my chances of going tomorrow have gone for a Burton, I can only type from Turks and Caicos, we have to remember we teams in unbeaten this season, we have retained the best management team in the EF

• I give up, good luck tomorrow and the fella here spoke fondly of The Beast, Sir Matthew Bloomfield, Matt Ingram and curiously, Paris Cowan Hall.

We have come a long way since the Chris Greenacre summer of speculation, fretting whether we will get another ex-Man Utd player and a former England Under 21 centre back.

Good luck tomorrow and fingers crossed to all Chairboys and girls wherever you are in the world, COYB!

• Not sure if related but seems Utd have games abroad today and home tomorrow and it's not entirely clear who will be in squad for the home one. You can get these kinds of problems when we start earlier than the Prem despite them having a break for the World cup and the deadline being so far away.

If Dickinson does start, and at this stage who knows if he will, have to say he has played most of pre-season, looked very commanding in the Bournemouth game and was shouting encouragement and advice to those around him who are more senior, made a couple of decent saves, didn't look out of place. Will wish him well for an opportunity in his career that otherwise might never have come.

*Yes, this doesn't stop anyone wanting Bishop or someone else established to have signed up weeks ago.

Up the Blues whoever starts, won't be the last twist or bit of intrigue this year.

Obita on corners not JJ if continued from that game could be the next revelation/ point of rage for some, or maybe he was resting.

• A fair and well balanced post. Thus, immediate Gasroom ban required - don’t let our children’s minds be corrupted by this filth, etc

• GA told us to trust him as all in hand in regards to GK, let's see if at 3pm and 5pm if trust is misguided

• Not really sure trust works on a game by game basis.

• Very much agree Righty, especially when you have as much credit in the bank as Gareth has.

• edited July 2022

Trust in Gareth Ainsworth can never be ‘misguided’. In a decade of unprecedented achievement he has earned the utmost respect and trust. Never forget it.

A wicked thought crossed my addled mind as I woke up this morning. Stockdale on loan!

Tyla would be fine.

• I imagine Bishop will be unveiled at the match today