Skip to content

Nathan Bishop set to sign

Comments

• Roll on 0-1 home defeat, and a weekend of recriminations šŸ¤£

• This is absolutely what's going to happen. Make your peace with it now.

• Oh, Burton might be the worst side in the league (some numbers here)

• Ainsworth had said he is relaxed about the goalkeeper situation but this whole episode with Bishop seems to be all last minute.com which surely is not ideal planning for the first game. Clearly we donā€™t know how good Dickinson is at this level until we put him in and see. Seems a risky strategy.

Still waiting for those signings which will show our intent this year.

• They didn't look like the worst team in the league at their place last season - far from it. If they play like that every week they'll be just fine.

• It's not up to me to make excuses, that's my observation, as a fan, of Burton Albion from their last league game. GA won't be making excuses either if we lose tomorrow.

• I thought they were dreadful when they came to AP. If I didnā€™t have access to the table Iā€™d have placed them in the bottom four comfortably.

• Amazed to find that this mind-numbingly futile speculation has only been going for 12 days. It feels like months. Problem is, whenever ā€œ26 ( or other double digit number) new messagesā€ comes up, you feel compelled to have a look because the sheer number suggests that positive news has finally broken.

Iā€™m trying to follow your advice @Malone. It ainā€™t easy.

• I donā€™t know everything thatā€™s going on and Iā€™m not bothered about injury news as it can change from day to day, hour to hour. Being curious about injuries is one thing, feeling a need to know is different. Do you not accept that if Burton knew that, for instance, Vokes was out tomorrow (god forbid!) it wouldnā€™t change the way they approach the game? As I said in a previous post, the level of preparation for games is much more intense now that it used to be and coaches go into massive detail about their opponents. The less information we give them the better.

• @micra the realistic summer transfer thread is now 1,200+ unread posts for me.

Iā€™m so glad I missed them.

• a number of

• exciting

• Withholding injury news is different to withholding news of new signings!

Given Ainsworth has said in numerous interviews that the GK situation is 'under control' it would be pretty disastrous if we do have to start the season with Dickinson in goal. Obviously he may be completely competent and perform perfectly fine, but it clearly hasn't been the plan to start the season with him.

Also a different situation to Forino / Mehmeti who were gradually eased into the team/squad, rather than starting the first game of the season as the only option available.

• Has anyone ever kept a secret signing of a keeper before ?

It's hardly a tactical move, that will make the opposition change there shape. But at 2 15 when the team sheets are revealed, you can be damn sure, that Burton will be attempting to put a lots of early balls in, to test a very inexperienced keeper.

• Surely they would be better to wait until at least 3pm

• Yeah, but Utd don't make shirts, they get paid a fee that will have to come out of Nike's profit after materials, labour, retail, transport, promotions etc etc, won't be near the top sales figure.

This is also a bit of a one off, a remarkable amount most signings won't see, and they are obviously paying him a fortune in wages and bonuses on top of his fee.

Interesting to see if they have to give some of it back if he clears off.

• The problem with the Ronaldo shirt story is what they dont say, namely, the shirt deal with Adidas works as follows - Adidas paid MU Ā£75m over 5 years and take the revenue from ALL shirt sales less a 7% commission deducted by MU.

So of the Ā£187m alleged shirt sales MU will have received Ā£13.09m yet Ronaldo cost them Ā£20m in wages over his contract & a fee of Ā£12.9m so the are just shy of Ā£20m out of pocket.

For most PL clubs who do not have a player that garners this sort of global adulation their shirt sales commissions probably cover the costs of running their merchandising operation.

• I believe this is close, but Utd also take the profit from their sales from the megastore as well

But either way, people on about stock exchanges and making fees back on shirt sales are almost as tedious as fans of Premier league teams saying "I pay your wages" when in reality they probably pay the tea ladies wage, and gate receipts are a miniscule percentage of income compared to years back.

• What happened to the rule about having to register signings by 5pm on the day before the game, making the fairly odd idea that you would keep a signing secret pointless anyway?

• I thought it was even earlier than that. It would be a bit silly, but we announced McCarthy's loan return on the day.

• Man Utd would have sold many of those shirts with a different name on the back had R7 not signed. It's not all incremental revenue.

• I totally agree. What happens if Dickinson gets injured. We have to bring on an even more untried keeper from the bench.This doesnā€™t look like the best of planning.

One constant comment during the transfer process from Ainsworth is that we cannot compete against the bigger teams in the league. So letā€™s be realistic we are still ā€˜ littleā€™ Wycombe , fighting above our weight and be proud of it. Sorry, the Couhigs, be realistic.

• edited July 2022

If Gareth says it's under control, let's be jolly and give him the benefit of the doubt. I seem to recall a few comments before the last season kicked off that even with Vokes, we had a load of OAPS and having lost Fred, Knight, Admiral and Uche we had a bang-average squad and would be lucky to be mid-table. We made great signings in Taff and Uche for the Championship and both were injured to start the season and we had to make do without them. It happens in football whether or not you are newbie or a proven at this level player. I know it is hard for some, but the kicking of the ball begins tomorrow and you never know it might just be great.

• Relax. You're all suffering from Stocko Syndrome.