Skip to content

Realistic Signing(s) for the Summer

Comments

• @Malone said "no striker is keeping Vokes out realistically" - what's to disagree with about that statement?

• I don't disagree with @Malone statement based on what we have currently and the system that we adopt. But....

If Vokes isn't firing and the said "cameo" striker is - then he starts surely??

Anything can happen throughout a season. What's the point in not having someone that can at least challenge him for a place?

Perhaps it can be Hanlan, de Barr, Al Hamadi? If we have kept the latter on our books it must be because we see them breaking through at some point.

• The key to that question is Kieffer Moore and if he’s fit. If he’s fit I can’t see Vokes getting a look in.

If Moore is injured and Vokesy has scored a hatful in League One then he might get a call up as Wales do not have another target man with Moore unavailable.

Highly unlikely though, more chance of Taf being picked by Iran.

• edited June 2022

Apparently Taf was close to a call-up a few years ago before getting injured. Just having a look at their most recent squad and there's one CB playing for Kayserispor (bottom half of Turkish Super Lig) and one for Al Ahli (Qatar), the rest in Iran - idk how their top division compares quality-wise to League One, but there can't be much difference?

• Also, Moore is much more than a target man! Excited to see him get a crack at the Prem next season.

• Moore has been superb for Cardiff and subsequently Bournemouth in the last month of the season.

• Did the pro Vokes army on here say he was untouchable? I'm losing track.

• It sure will be interesting to see how Gareth plays it. Either entrusting one or two of the young guns to step up (we can't afford many squad members just there to play development matches) or.... He goes in for someone with experience and a known eye for goal. Trouble here is that a player that can score and be good enough to better the options we already have doesn't come easy, and likely not free. We can just hope for a player in a similar situation to McCleary was in ie, championship experience, recognised level of skill, but out of favour with the current club and looking for somewhere to get playing again and prove themselves.

• I have to say I am fully in agreement with the otter @thecatwwfc here. Yes, Sam Vokes is an exceptional striker at this level and we are very lucky to have him. He is also perfect for the system we like to play. However, that doesn't mean we shouldn't try and recruit another quality striker should one be available that would work for us financially. Surely everyone would take Uche back in a heartbeat, and thus acknowledge that he would start some games ahead of Vokes? Surely if we managed to sign Cole Stockton it would likely be of significant benefit to us? Surely if the money was right, it would be worth taking a chance on someone like James Norwood? Competition for places is a good thing, it pushes everyone on. Cover in every position is a good thing. I have no idea why some people are so ready to dismiss any link we have to proven attackers. We even have some money these days!

• There's also the fact that sometimes Vokes possibly isn't the right tactical choice (playoff final?), so personally I'd like to see any other striker we might bring in have a different set of attributes to Vokes so that we have other tactical options. Might makes us a little less predictable too.

• edited June 2022

We'll bring someone in as a Bayo replacement (as much as that's possible!), but I'd expect Hanlan to become the 'no2' CF - while still possessing the versatility to play wide, of course.

• edited June 2022

The beauty of this time of year of course, especially on facebook is when every single high profile players get released, some "wag" sets up a new thread, about signing said player, thinking themselves the peak of hilari-tah.

• How about these types of post...?

Thread title:

Bloggs Signs...!!!

Initial Post:

(... for someone else...)

• If he's not playing and Cardiff need money to go for packages for Bale and Ramsey, Uche might fancy coming back!😁

• edited June 2022

Bloody hell I thought he was at Cardiff...was that a loan?

Blame my age.

• Uche only moved there on loan, it was a last minute signing on deadline day

• Boro will want to offload him this summer, but I doubt we'll be in the running unless it's approaching deadline day and they decided to loan him out. He's still got two years left on his contract there.

• I agree. For a £1million signing he has not really proven himself in the Champ. It would only be a promoted League One club that sign him permanantly and it would be for a snip of £1m. He would actually suit Rotherham now Ladapo has gone. Bolton have got some money and Wycombe ties too.

Otherwise, it's a loan for Uche.

• You're not alone... I'd got it in my head he'd gone there permanently as well !

• It should be the first rule of Gas2 conjecture that NO ex player should be mentioned as a potential signing. The definition of lazy journalism.

• edited June 2022

The general population of fans at Wycombe seem to be obsessed with ex players 😅

Having said that. Is take uche back permanently or on loan in a heartbeat!🤷😅

• Surely the season ticket sales would go up if you did transfer business/contract announcements early?

• I’ll be devils advocate on Uche. Loved the guy but when we sold him for 1million I thought that was nuts. Bring him back and he would be one of our highest paid players and would probably cost a fee. And in terms of return on that I simply don’t see it.

• I'm clearly suffering from Stuart Castledine syndrome. There is clearly no cure after all these years.

• You’ve got me there @TheAndyGrahamFanClub . Just how does that syndrome afflict someone? I vaguely remember the player but not the syndrome. I recall a tall elegant player who flattered to deceive and only stayed for one season.

• When he first played us he was superb. Everything we needed at that time. Combative, skilful, intelligent and athletic (7 appearances, 3 goals - just looked it up. The joy when he signed for us on a permanent deal 4 years later. Then he played and looked like a competition winner. An extraordinary gap between memory and reality.

When looking him I have now discovered that his career lasted 9 years and 64 games. 24 with us. Well played him I guess. Side note - his wife comes across as delightful.