Skip to content

Realistic Signing(s) for the Summer

Comments

• Impression many people got from the way his departure was reported was that we were unhappy about it. Usually we're very good at thanking departing players and wishing them all the best; with Fred, nothing (though others suggested it was due to the coms team being on holiday).

• Weren't they tidying the office?

• Realistic signing: DDH

(Just woke up in a cold sweat….)

• Why would you spoil things like that?

• Sorry, sorry, sorry

• Uche back on season long loan? Him and Vokes...what a combo.

• If our squad stays as it is and is fully fit - where do people think we really need to strengthen?

I think we need a bit more flair upfront as an alternative option - someone like the little AFCW forward?

Backup for McCleary and an out and out winger with a decent cross and some pace.

Every time the Sunderland wingers picked up the ball, they looked dangerous. It's the thing defenders hate the most. Attachers running at you with pace. And it gets the crowd going. Someone like Corbeanu at MK, or Scully at Lincoln.

I also think we need a driving/creative AMC - but that could be Mehmeti.

• No way DDH passes the personality test. He's a racist piece of shit.

• If our squad stays as it is and is fully fit - where do people think we really need to strengthen?

Replacement for Akinfenwa

• Sutton United’s David Ajiboye would be a good signing, initially as back-up and eventually replacement for Garath McCleary on the right wing.

I saw him a couple of times last season and was impressed on both occasions. He’s quick, tricky and hard working. He also scored 8 goals in a really promising first season in the EFL.

• edited June 2022

The great thing this close season is people are not saying, “We need a new Centre back, a new Centre mid and a new striker…oh and a better keeper would be good too”. And we have said that in many seasons previously and seen it said at many other clubs. Credit to Gaz and the Couhig’s for putting this squad together.

The squad is a year older so a few will be better for that and a few not better. I would focus on a new striker to replace Bayo.

• A lot will depend on who stays, but we need a second pacy LB option regardless

• Obita should be first choice, so some cover for him - JJ is only going to become more limited, shame for him that we ditched the back 3

• edited June 2022

That said, if we've offered him a new deal then we're probably not prioritising a LB right now. But that's (both full-back positions) the one outfield area I'm a bit concerned about.

• why do we need another left back? Why is JJ going to only be making a few appearances and Obita become first choice?

JJ arguably had his best season ever for us and the only game he really got exposed again and again was by Corbeanu.

He is fit as a fiddle and still #1 choice as far as I’m concerned.

The one thing that he is head and shoulders above Obita, and pretty much every other player in League 1, is interceptions and last minute covering the centre backs e.g. that tackle against Franchise. That comes to him naturally,

like a sixth sense, Obita just doesn’t have that naturally.

I think it would be a waste of a squad space to get a third left back in. We could do with more left footers and potentially a natural left winger.

if JJ was not able to start regularly he would have been released.

• Agreed.

We have JJ and Obita to cover that LB slot.

What we didn’t have with Hanlan being injured was a pacy winger/wide man in the Fred mould. I would have Fred back in a heartbeat if he was surplus at Luton.

• Agree JJ is a superb reader of the game, superb technically and can deliver a ball with his left foot live very few can.

Only thing Obita has over him is pace.

• JJ was great last season and could cover CB at a push. We still probably need a couple more winger/wingback type of players and a striker as I think midfield and defence are pretty well covered. Hope Gaz and Dobbo sort it all before heading off to Lancs!

• Another centre forward - we’re in trouble if Vokes were to get injured.

Plus a wide forward or attacking midfielder with the pace and energy to run in behind.

• We don't know if JJ will be here next season yet...

• In the interview immediately after Wembley, he was talking about next season with the Wanderers.

Fully expect our greatest ever left back wearing the captains Armband next season.

Of the others, I'm keenest to see Lewis Wing return.

• edited June 2022

I think Wing accidentally leaked that he's staying?

• JJ was outstanding as the left-sided centre back when we played with 3/5 at the back. He is a surprisingly good header of the ball. Something we rarely saw when he played left back.

• Scott McGleish

• JJ is still a very useful player to have both on and off the pitch and will be staying I’m certain. For me, Obita is first choice left back now though. Assuming we keep Wing and Stewart too, I only think we need another centre forward with a real physical presence to be understudy to Vokes (either a development player or a loan), unless they see Al Hamadi or Tjay competing seriously for a place. I’d also love a pacy wide player who can stretch teams (agree on Shayden Morris) and allow space for Mehmeti, McCleary and Horgan to play, although admittedly that could be Hanlan or even Parsons if he pushes on.

If all who are offered contracts sign on and if everyone was fit I think we’d be challenging again next season. If we could somehow find one more ‘star’ player (by that I mean, for example, Uche or Manson) to come in we might challenge the top 2 more seriously. Either way we’ve got a great squad.

• Would be ideal if we could add a left-footer in attack, Obita the only option as it stands

• Someone from the Manson dynasty as a striker would indeed to be a scary prospect for defences @Quarterman