Skip to content

Realistic Signing(s) for the Summer

Comments

• Pipped me there @Twizz . Amazes me that anyone can refer to a player that they really rate but not even spell their name correctly. ‘on’ for ‘in’ and vice versa happens quite a lot because of their juxtaposition and sausage fingers but ‘w’ is about as far away from ‘n’ as a letter could be!

• Summer signings...? Broad and Anderson, thank you very much...!

• Thanks for giving me the opportunity to make a brief reference to the Lords Test, @LeedsBlue. Just to say that at least England won’t have to worry about following on!

• No worries, @micra Fill yer boots, it's the off-season 😀

The young lad from ..... yes, Sunderland..... had a fair start to life in Test cricket too!

(I should've apologised to everyone else for a brief thread derailment.)

• So should I. And I do. Twice over, having also made reference on the Wordle thread.

• I’d have thought the question he has is retirement or extension?

I’m surprised that given his number of appearances an extension wasn’t in the offing months ago if there wasn’t the question about whether he’d want to do another year in the game.

• Just don’t mention Kent’s start to the season.

• edited June 2022

JJ and Obita is more than plenty at left back next year!

• edited June 2022

He's on record as saying he wants to stay here as long as possible.

Even in one of the Wembley build up interviews he said how he'd love to stay more "years" (plural) here.

Having not been promoted, him staying is an absolute no brainer. I think he'd still have been given a deal if we did go up, but then we'd be talking more about "back up" status etc.

• edited June 2022

I still think we need two pacy options - we do on the right - but I'm probably being unrealistic. I suppose it's less crucial when we're not playing a WB system.

• edited June 2022

Not sure Grimmer's that pacy is he?

Assuming everyone we've offered deals to signs on, we possibly only need 2 signings. Another centre back option - Mawson the ideal solution, although I'm slightly nervous some random poster revealed that he's "finished".

And someone who can try and replicate Bayo's role last season. Physical striker back up who can head it is probably the basic job description for that one, as no-one can do Bayo.

Apart from that I think we're pretty well set up.

• Wasn't Nick Freeman playing wing-back when he was injured? Maybe the plan is to convert him to play wing/fullback properly - he's certainly a better passer than Jason McCarthy and - in theory - more mobile than Jack Grimmer. And is also reasonably comfortable playing on the left.

• Would be good to get Uche back on loan if he would be happy to rotate with Vokes.

Despite how well he did for us in the Championship, I would love to see him tear up League One. Most of us never got to see him in a Wycombe shirt.

• No chance of getting Uche back, I suspect he'll sign for Cardiff permanently

• Ah shit, I keep forgetting about Nick Freeman

• The idea of Vokes and Uche rotating is quite something.

Absolutely no chance that would happen. They'd both be the star players who had to play each game, so we'd need a system to play a front 2. Or try and work Uche in as a wide attacker.

However, no chance Uche comes back. Not this summer anyway,.

• Although it wouldn't work on paper - imagine being an opposition CB knowing you are coming up against a front 2 of Uche and Vokes.

Not so sure he played much at Cardiff. I suspect we may dip into the loan market for a CF to play understudy to Vokes. Can't see a decent enough option signing permanantly to play second fiddle. Would have to be a youngster/free transfer/non league hopeful/loan.

• A young player with the sort of attributes that Vokes has is incredibly rare in 2022.

• George Hirst is the only one I can think of in the EFL, and he's yet to set the world alight

• De Barr has been known to play on the wing before, often did in his last spell at Lincoln Red Imps as Kike Gómez was the main striker there. His tricky play and tendency to draw free-kicks from defenders is always handy. I still remember him winding up the Irish defenders when Gibraltar held them to a 1-0 result. he was constantly causing problems on his own in attack and getting chopped down.

• We already have evidence of this from his short time in a League 1 Wycombe shirt, when he picked up a pass from Bayo on the half-way line, cut inside and waltzed past Sunderland's Flanagan to draw a free kick and a yellow card. I remember at the time thinking that he definitely had something, but after that we didn't see much of him at all, for various reasons.

• Gavin Massey a free agent at Wigan Athletic. Impressed me in the games I saw him play this season.

• Interesting. Coincidentally, the guy who came to service our gas boiler earlier this week told me that he went to school with Tommy Flanagan.

• He was about the same height too.

• I am convinced that the key to this next season is Mehmeti's continued development and health. He is X-factor that can take us from close 2-1s to thrashing a few teams.

• edited June 2022

Yep, while Obita does a decent job out left, when you combine Horgan, Mehmeti and McCleary it's a different ball game.

With Hanlan a bit unlucky to miss out, but a real threat against tiring legs later on.

It does make you wonder about signings actually, as assuming we don't lose anyone, where do you actually upgrade, in terms of the starting 11?

An extra centre back, but unless it's a Mawson esque signing, they'll do well to break up Stewart and Tafa, and no striker is keeping Vokes out realistically, so will be a cameo backup.

• Don’t forget Forino @Malone. He’s going to be a superstar.

• I keep wanting to call him Forinho. He’s a ‘special one’!

• Does the fact that Wales have qualified for the World Cup in Qatar play on Gareth's mind? If Vokes was to get a call up, that'll be him out for at least 1 and a half months during our busiest time of the season! I know Premier League & Championship only have 2 games during that time but I think League 1 & 2 will continue un-affected.....?

• I don't know why everyone thinks that Vokes is untouchable. Yes, he's our first choice/only choice striker - but MK had Eisa, Wickham, Parrott, Twine (and someone else that doesn't spring to mind). These guys are pro footballers. Competition is healthy. What sort of motivation does Vokes have to press on if he hasn't got anyone vying for his position. What if Vokes gets injured, what if he gets called up for the World Cup, or, what if he doesn't find the form of the season just gone?

Had Akinfenwa been able to, GA would not have hesitated to put him in ahead of Vokes. I would imagine that our best bet is somebody like the guy MK have just signed (Matt Dennis?). Released by his club and hungry to impress. Wouldn't be surprised if we were one of the clubs in for him.