Skip to content

Retained or Release

Comments

• I assume if they’re not on the released list they’ve been offered a new contract.

• if De Barr is staying I’d be happy with that. If we could have him and a new striker (preferably experienced) as back up to Vokes/Hanlan that would be good.

• Ditto the slight shame with Pendlebury. Such a stand out few mins against Cheltenham early season, but naturally dropped back in the pecking order.

The rest shows the realities of the development squad though, you have to burst through, you can't just sit in there for years.

• As I said on twitter -

For every Mehmeti & Forino there will be 6-8 development players that dont make the grade in the time frame we are expecting and get let go at the end of their contracts

• edited May 2022

I always wanted Ilias Chair and Conor Wickham in the team. Unfortunately, Chair is just too good - but Wickham is available...

• Probably a dumb question, but when would we find out about any senior players leaving? Is it June 30th when contracts typically end?

• Contracts end June 30th you are correct. Normally clubs publish their released list anytime now. I’m guessing we are still going through the spreadsheets and working out who can get what depending on accepts what.

• edited May 2022

Really surprised about Pendlebury, he could easily be one of those players in a few years time we'll be saying why did we let him go !

• Me too - I thought he could be that true box to box player who also scores his share of goals. Much as I love Scowen, Gape and Thompson, they do not score too many between them, though Curtis has definitely improved going forward.

• Suprised about penders and linton actually.. I thought linton looked an exciting future prospect when he signed ... The next jocky mcsporran maybe....

• So is it too simple to suggest Pendlebury is a victim of the squad limit and being over 21. He’s a more than capable lower league midfielder who’s now in that hinterland of being without a club and having to be worth a place in another clubs limited squad. Arguably his early season form for us gives him a chance that his release by Reading might not have so hopefully he’ll be ok.

I really feel for him now and I see a system designed to curb costs that actually just preserves higher wages for those who make the cut and fewer chances for those on the outside. No wonder the Conference is strong as they are taking advantage of their leagues lack of these rules.

I think the age for being in the full squad should be 24 if a wage cap can’t work.

• Pendlebury barely featured since August so not really surprising and was only playing because Thompson and Gape were unavailable. Writing was once Young was signed and almost immediately given a 3 year deal.

• Given many Championship & all Premier teams run U23's squads it would be more sensible for the age limit for registration for first team squads to be in line with that; especially as most of those clubs have a "clear out" of their over age U23's that are deemed unlikely to break into the first team squad at the end of each season.

Wage caps are irrelevant for clubs that are operating on a sustainable (break even/small profit) basis, like ourselves and some others, as they will always tailor their squad sizes & wage budget to live within their means. If only all clubs would try to do the same, ideally backed up with simple straightforward rules and clear penalties for breaches, then we wouldnt have a repeat of Derby, Wednesday, Reading, Bury, Wigan, Bolton etc.

• 100% agree with you @Erroll_Sims but as the FA & EFL are too scared and spineless to put rules in place and stick to them, it's never going to happen. I think that instead of punishments, clubs should be rewarded for breaking even / making a profit by being given points at the beginning of the season. It'll make all clubs think twice over their stupid spending / gambles

• U23 systems IMHO are cruel and ineffective. A player being with a club from 6,7 or 8 years old and then being cast off at the end of the U23 contract is terrible. We seen from the Micky Mouse Cup the quality of these squads. These lads should be released far earlier be allowed to develop elsewhere.

• Olly Pendlebury : Max Kreitzmar (or however it’s spelt )

• It's a tricky one isn't it?...... Football in general is a risky little game for young lads.....you make it big..... You earn obscene money weekly.... You take mediocre.. you earn probably much higher than the average salery than 80+% off us on here.. if you miss these milestones.... You better get your arse to uni or get a trade.....

• Pendlebury is a little disappointing, liked what I saw from him, but may have been two-way street if we couldn’t offer him the game time he needs at this stage. I’d back him to get a football league team.

Sounds like everyone else is being offered a deal

• I asked Dr Barr on Saturday (on the concourse at half-time) if he would be here next season and he answered "Yes".

• I hope so. Looked raw enough to improve and a really different option. And seems a really nice guy too.

• It wouldn't shock me if, of the OOC players, the following were not at the club next year :-

Stewart, Horgan, Wing, DeBarr

Also possibly Wheeler and/or Grimmer might leave if they have offers to be starters and we release them.

Equally I'd not be shocked if they all stay.

• We're not going to reduce our strength in depth unless players really start kicking off - which, let's face it, it's hard to see.

• I'm not suggesting it would, necessarily, be our choice for these players to leave. Just that if they had other offers which they felt gave them a better chance of starting more games they might leave.

Also, I'm certain we don't want to see as many as 6 players from this year's 1st team squad leave

However, I feel that we might benefit from adding a couple more attacking options and GA and Dobbo haven't so far thought DeBarr, Kaikai and Al-Hamidi are that option.

• Someone on Twitter reckons we are signing Owen Windsor, 20 year old striker that’s just been released by West Brom..

• I don’t envision anyone kicking off as they’re all good lads but I feel that we may end up seeing Grimmer ask to leave. Can’t imagine him being best pleased with becoming the back up RB, especially when he’s got the quality to be a starter. If he does stay for next season I’d 100% like to see him made starting RB again.

• GA & Dobbo are very reasonable with the squad and they get the same treatment in return. We haven't (publically) heard of anyone being unhappy and in turn, if a player informs GA that they have interest that they want to explore (like Samuel & Kasket) then they have been allowed to follow that opportunity.

Sign of a great manager & team that we currently have here

• @Otter87 do you think Scotty and Alex expressed an interest in talking elsewhere or was it suggested to them that their future lay beyond AP?

• The body and brain is developing physically and mentally until aged 23 which had been a big driver in the reason for u23 still being classed as development football.